Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

stevebrtx

Sep 16, 2010, 1:40 PM

Post #1 of 62 (9965 views)

Shortcut

Steve's Weather Station

Can't Post | Private Reply
During a discussion today by the executive board members of the weather station it was suggested that maybe John's critiques should be added. A second proposal was to take the station "private" by invitation access only and rebrand it, a third suggestion evolved to consider putting the chapalaweather.net domain on the auction block with the intent to attract a corporate buyer who could rebrand it under their own banner using Guad instrumentation (basically they'd buy a client base). And while not officially on the agenda, a secondary version of item 1 would be to provide a blog in some fashion for John's recommendations that would evolve from the weather site.

While I am, for the most part, ambivalent - never the less - constructive suggestions will be considered.
http://www.chapalaweather.net

(This post was edited by Rolly on Sep 16, 2010, 1:49 PM)

vetteforron

Sep 16, 2010, 3:13 PM

Post #2 of 62 (9923 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Steve's Weather Station

I like your site. I view it often. However you could get a lot more hits if you would post a picture of Inez Sainz on it. Was that John's idea?

sparks

Sep 16, 2010, 3:46 PM

Post #3 of 62 (9912 views)

Shortcut

>>> consider putting the chapalaweather.net domain on the auction block

No idea who is in this conversation about corporate weather channels but I assume this is a rare tongue in cheek

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

arbon

Sep 16, 2010, 3:50 PM

Post #4 of 62 (9908 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Steve's Weather Station

Can't Post |
Inez Sainz is a "Ball Player"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

arbon

Sep 16, 2010, 3:56 PM

Post #5 of 62 (9904 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] Steve's Weather Station

Can't Post |
And "Sports reporter"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

don pedro

Sep 16, 2010, 5:04 PM

Post #6 of 62 (9884 views)

Shortcut

tongue and cheek ain't done rare usually sparks. you do seem to have a problema recognizing it though-no?

i will start the bidding at $10 pesos-2944687 alberta ltd., aka goode stough.
http://chapalamexicoinfo.createforumhosting.com
naivete is a chronIc disease and by its very nature;the afflicted never know they have it.-SNORK!

sparks

Sep 16, 2010, 7:11 PM

Post #7 of 62 (9871 views)

Shortcut

Re: [don pedro] Steve's Weather Station

>>> tongue and cheek ain't done rare usually sparks. you do seem to have a problema recognizing it though-no?

Don not Pedro .... if you had half a clue you'd be dangerous. But 10 pesos is a good bid

jengland

Sep 16, 2010, 7:38 PM

Post #8 of 62 (9862 views)

Shortcut

Is this a joke. I'm a novice so I don't get it. If it is not a joke then don't mess with Chapalaweather.net. Great site and Steve does a great job. With the only other weather coming from Guad we don't get the Lakeside weather. I check it almost every day.
Keep up the good work Steve.

Jim

stevebrtx

Sep 17, 2010, 5:31 AM

Post #9 of 62 (9827 views)

Shortcut

Well, even that would be 10 pesos of income rather than expenditure. Who knows, might be a surprise, I've got another domain someone tries to buy every few months. But with a high rating on Google and -

You just never can tell and with the games in 2011 maybe there is some revenue for someone.

Something needs to change, the site is stale, I'm bored and it's not fun anymore and at this point in life I need fun, not another responsibility. I started writing a book about 5 years ago, I need to get back to that, I had two webstores completely setup when I moved here, I just never turned them on, at least they'd bring in money rather than drain it.

So, the short answer is that something will change, the only question is what & when.

johninajijic

Sep 17, 2010, 7:08 AM

Post #10 of 62 (9810 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jengland] Steve's Weather Station

In Reply To
Is this a joke. I'm a novice so I don't get it. If it is not a joke then don't mess with Chapalaweather.net. Great site and Steve does a great job. With the only other weather coming from Guad we don't get the Lakeside weather. I check it almost every day.

Jim

I agree with jengland's post above. I check chapalaweather.net 2 or 3 times a day. It's more useful than any weather.com or weather underground site. Steve does a great job.

mevale

Sep 17, 2010, 8:17 AM

Post #11 of 62 (9788 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johninajijic] Steve's Weather Station

In Reply To

In Reply To

Jim

I agree with jengland's post above. I check chapalaweather.net 2 or 3 times a day. It's more useful than any weather.com or weather underground site. Steve does a great job.

I go outside.

sparks

Sep 17, 2010, 8:48 AM

Post #12 of 62 (9777 views)

Shortcut

The web site is one thing but then there's the equipment and location. Need another Lakeside techie hobbyist

stevebrtx

Sep 17, 2010, 9:17 AM

Post #13 of 62 (9767 views)

Shortcut

Sparks, of all people you know what the responsibility of something like is. In this life I always equated responsibility with money and while this was never ever meant to be about money, neither was it meant to be about responsibility. I mean you can only take a weather station so far, the only difference between 500, 5,000 hits a day and 50,000 is the increasing need to make it professional as possible.

Here's the history since Dec '07, somewhere along that line it crossed from fun to work - and if I'm going to "work" my grade is significantly higher.

Now, if there's a way to cross back over to fun & creativity, then we're open to options - guess I'm not much of a lighthouse keeper, that's why we're exploring options.

sparks

Sep 17, 2010, 9:58 AM

Post #14 of 62 (9752 views)

Shortcut

I think if I did it I'd lighten up on the data, history and probably the wunderground feed. I assume most people are only interested in current weather. Just a local weather station maybe with a webcam

arbon

Sep 17, 2010, 10:08 AM

Post #15 of 62 (9750 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I don't remember ever seeing a graph going backwards from right to left. (ża political statement Eh?)

With no where to go after the current year (2010)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

arbon

Sep 17, 2010, 10:29 AM

Post #16 of 62 (9745 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
"I think if I did it I'd lighten up on the data, history and probably the wunderground feed. I assume most people are only interested in current weather. Just a local weather station maybe with a webcam"

What would cause you to assume that Sparks?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

chinagringo

Sep 17, 2010, 10:37 AM

Post #17 of 62 (9742 views)

Shortcut

I would have to wonder the same. For example, when someone is considering a move to the Lake area and wants proof of the "2nd best weather in the world claim" - only actual long term statistics can document such. Heck, a local can open the window or door to see what it is doing outside on any given day. That is, assuming their eyes are open.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

sparks

Sep 17, 2010, 10:47 AM

Post #18 of 62 (9740 views)

Shortcut

Right or wrong my assumption would be coupled with how much responsibility I wanted. A simple site has far fewer responsibilities

stevebrtx

Sep 17, 2010, 12:03 PM

Post #19 of 62 (9718 views)

Shortcut

Well, that would simplify it somewhat.

Or, of course the webcam page covers it for the most part http://chapalaweather.net/webcam.htm

(This post was edited by stevebrtx on Sep 17, 2010, 12:13 PM)

johanson

Sep 17, 2010, 12:25 PM

Post #20 of 62 (9712 views)

Shortcut

I greatly appreciate all of the info; especially when I'm up North. I agree, it's way to much work to keep all of that data up to date. But as long as you are willing to do it Steve, I will keep on reading the information. Thanks a lot for all of your hard work.

(This post was edited by johanson on Sep 17, 2010, 12:25 PM)

chinagringo

Sep 17, 2010, 12:29 PM

Post #21 of 62 (9709 views)

Shortcut

Knowing Steve as well as I do, the following would preclude him from operating a "half-a**ed" weather site: 1) personal pride, 2) personal challenge, 3) opportunity to continue to learn, 4) ego and most of all, the opportunity to express his frustrations when CFE adversely affects the weather station operations.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

sparks

Sep 17, 2010, 1:30 PM

Post #22 of 62 (9694 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Steve's Weather Station

I think Steve has proven he can do it right but time and feelings change. I think we've all experienced other people depending on us continuing our track. It can be a bitch trying to move on

sparks

Sep 17, 2010, 1:38 PM

Post #23 of 62 (9689 views)

Shortcut

I like it ;)

chris cooper

Sep 17, 2010, 2:39 PM

Post #24 of 62 (9679 views)

Shortcut

I'm curious as to why there seems to be such an obsession about the weather in this area? You don't really get too many severe storms and those that hit you can't predict anyway.

It is either sunny or rainy. Hot or cool and that follows a pattern according to the time of year. How important is it to know it is 23° C. instead of 26° C. or 18° C. ?

stevebrtx

Sep 17, 2010, 3:13 PM

Post #25 of 62 (9669 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chris cooper] Steve's Weather Station

Excellent point, weather and soccer are a lot alike in MX, if you have a sport so absolutely boring as watching your toe nails grow, you hire an announcer to yell GOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL every time a guy actually does what he's getting overpaid to do. So it is with weather, rather than watch our toe nails grow, we watch the weather and so you have some idea as to why I'm a bit bored with the whole thing, so let's all hear it for WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTT- oh, never mind, you get the idea. I think Monday will be "new concept day".
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4