Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

Huete

Sep 14, 2010, 10:13 PM

Post #1 of 11 (18015 views)

Shortcut

Walgreens & superstores in Puebla?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Not sure if Puebla is considered the southern region. Nevertheless my wife and I met a fellow the other night in Oaxaca who ways he goes to Puebla once or twice a year to stock up on all the American items he used to buy in the States. We're pretty sure he mentioned that there was a giant Walgreens there, in a center with other mega stores. He takes the bus to Puebla from Oaxaca, (2 hours we think he said), goes shopping, then turns around and comes back. We're thinking of trying it, but are trying to find out where this center is, and if it is reachable by taxi from the main bus station in Puebla. Anyone know? We'd ask that man we met, but we may never meet him again. Thanks!
Huete

geri

Sep 15, 2010, 9:48 AM

Post #2 of 11 (17982 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Huete] Walgreens & superstores in Puebla?

There is a large shopping center close to the bus terminal dunno if that is the one with superstores but everything is accessible by taxi you can buy the taxi tickets in the bus terminal However Puebla is 4 hours by bus from Oaxaca not 2 hours.

(This post was edited by Rolly on Sep 15, 2010, 11:36 AM)

Hound Dog

Sep 15, 2010, 12:09 PM

Post #3 of 11 (17954 views)

Shortcut

Not sure if Puebla is considered the southern region. Nevertheless my wife and I met a fellow the other night in Oaxaca who ways he goes to Puebla once or twice a year to stock up on all the American items he used to buy in the States. We're pretty sure he mentioned that there was a giant Walgreens there, in a center with other mega stores. He takes the bus to Puebla from Oaxaca, (2 hours we think he said), goes shopping, then turns around and comes back. We're thinking of trying it, but are trying to find out where this center is, and if it is reachable by taxi from the main bus station in Puebla. Anyone know? We'd ask that man we met, but we may never meet him again. Thanks!
Huete

No, Puebla City is not considered Southern Mexico nor, in my experience, would you find what you call "American items he used to buy in the states." there. Almost certainly you would not find "American items" at a Walgreens in Puebla City.

Tell me, first of all, what you mean by "American items" and if so defined, why in Godīs name, if those are things you wish to acquire, you would move to Oaxaca City of all places. The city of Puebla is a wholesale center for goods and services supplied the relatively isolated and provincial Oaxaca City but, while Puebla City is many very nice things, it sure as hell is not a place to look for what you are defining as "American things". If you desire "American items" then that is where you shoud be.

The largest and most sophisticated urban conurbation in Mexico is Mexico City itself but, like Paris or Berlin, one is limited ordinarily to items locally in favor or in favor of existent ethnic minorities. If you want "American items", then there is only one place to go anywhere within central Mexico and that would be Lake Chapala with its large foreign colony. Puebla City is a regional town of little international consequence. If you look for good foreign food there I suggest Burger King. This is a big hick town with an unusually high and undeserved regard for itself. Other regional centers such as Morelia, Oaxaca City and the like are even worse.

Peter

Sep 15, 2010, 1:55 PM

Post #4 of 11 (17946 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Walgreens & superstores in Puebla?

I was under the impression that here in Mexico as in the US the clothing we wear, the tools we use, and the products we all buy largely all come from the same place, China.

Papirex

Sep 15, 2010, 9:57 PM

Post #5 of 11 (17899 views)

Shortcut

While we have been to Cholula to visit relatives many times, I am certainly no expert about Puebla, but I think your friend may have been confusing Walgreen with Walmart. I don't believe that Walgreen has had a presence in Mexico since they sold the Sanborns pharmacy and department store chain to Grupo Carso in 1982. Walreen purchased that chain from Frank Sanborn in 1946.

We have two Walmart Supercenters where we live. While we find many things that are sold in The United States there, they are not always produced there.

The best course of action if you are going to live in Mexico is to forget about the country of origin when shopping, and look for good quality. I bought some clothes today. Among the things I bought were some gabardine pants at Costco. The fit, finish, workmanship and price was excellent. Country of origin - Vietnam.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

(This post was edited by Papirex on Sep 16, 2010, 12:10 AM)

Bwitched

Sep 30, 2010, 10:16 PM

Post #6 of 11 (17516 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Huete

No, Puebla City is not considered Southern Mexico nor, in my experience, would you find what you call "American items he used to buy in the states." there. Almost certainly you would not find "American items" at a Walgreens in Puebla City.

Tell me, first of all, what you mean by "American items" and if so defined, why in Godīs name, if those are things you wish to acquire, you would move to Oaxaca City of all places. The city of Puebla is a wholesale center for goods and services supplied the relatively isolated and provincial Oaxaca City but, while Puebla City is many very nice things, it sure as hell is not a place to look for what you are defining as "American things". If you desire "American items" then that is where you shoud be.

The largest and most sophisticated urban conurbation in Mexico is Mexico City itself but, like Paris or Berlin, one is limited ordinarily to items locally in favor or in favor of existent ethnic minorities. If you want "American items", then there is only one place to go anywhere within central Mexico and that would be Lake Chapala with its large foreign colony. Puebla City is a regional town of little international consequence. If you look for good foreign food there I suggest Burger King. This is a big hick town with an unusually high and undeserved regard for itself. Other regional centers such as Morelia, Oaxaca City and the like are even worse.

Wow;

I joined this forum for the purposes of hopefully learning more about living in Mexico...and have heard wonderful things about Rolly and so many others dedicated to providing accurate and at times, amusing, information to others considering moving to Mexico. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this reply seems extremely harsh to an innocent question...it seems to me there are as many different reasons to move to mexico as there are people who migrate there...this reply kind of makes me queasy about asking a question on here...hmmm...what a way to get my feet wet! Yikes!!

Rolly

Sep 30, 2010, 10:29 PM

Post #7 of 11 (17512 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bwitched] Walgreens & superstores in Puebla?

Ignore the Dawg. He's all bark and no bite.
Sometimes he's rude; sometimes he's informative; sometimes is really funny.
Think of him as the old grouchy uncle with a sharp tongue and a golden heart.
His wife is charming and tries hard to make him behave.

Rolly Pirate

Bwitched

Sep 30, 2010, 10:57 PM

Post #8 of 11 (17509 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Walgreens & superstores in Puebla?

OMG...I didn't know my favorite Uncle Dawg had joined this site!!! Haha...I knew that "growl" sounded familiar...Lol.

Thanks Rolly for setting my mind at ease...so I to may ask all my silly questions without fear...;)

Renee

Hound Dog

Oct 1, 2010, 8:21 AM

Post #9 of 11 (17478 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bwitched] Walgreens & superstores in Puebla?

OMG...I didn't know my favorite Uncle Dawg had joined this site!!! Haha...I knew that "growl" sounded familiar...Lol.

I am pleased that I could entertain you guys. My darlin wife tells me I am a bore and if she sees even one more "banker" story she is going to brain me with her computer.

Bwitched

Oct 1, 2010, 9:09 AM

Post #10 of 11 (17462 views)

Shortcut

Haha....I suspect that if your wife hasn't already taken on the title of "saint" that perhaps someone should look into how to formally accomplish that...lol.

I have to thank all you "vetran posters", I have spent hours enthralled by your stories and becoming educated in the ways in my favorite place (what I've seen of it so far) in the world.....MEXICO...I envy you all...I'll get there I'm hoping.

Thanks and keep up the good work!!

Renee

RickS

Oct 9, 2010, 3:36 PM

Post #11 of 11 (17246 views)

Shortcut

..."if she sees even one more "banker" story she is going to brain me with her computer"

Well, let's hear it for Vichil.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4