First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

hunteradvisor

Sep 13, 2010, 4:25 AM

Post #26 of 30 (7505 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BillyD0123] Newbie here.

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi Bill from MA,
There is a place that fits what you describe perfectly. Quiet, Pristine Beach, Amazing Fishing and you can bring your boat. Check out www.maytomex.com or www.ranchosolymar.com located about 2 hours south of Puerto Vallarta so you can have the big city stuff when you want it.
We spend part of the year in NH/ME and the best part is you can drive there, granted it takes nearly a week, but you can do it and it's very worth it when you arrive. The 194 folks in our community are the friendliest I've met anywhere and will be more than happy to welcome you. Initially you could bunk at El Rinconcito or put a camper on the beach in front of their guest house.....Beware, Maricela's cooking will put the pounds on fast. While you hang at their place you will have plenty of opportunity to find a rental. The owner's are Mexican/American having lived in CA for 20 years before moving back. A mile or two away is the perfect harbor, Tehuamixtle to keep your boat and meet the professional fisherman who pull in our dinner every day. The water is calm and home to incredible oyter beds and the occasional sailboat. Land off the beach is still reasonable should you decide to put down ownership roots. Ignore the negative comments on this forum and persue your dream.
I hope you find this helpful, feel free to call or email.
Isabel
www.RanchoSolyMar.com

BillyD0123

Sep 13, 2010, 2:50 PM

Post #27 of 30 (7433 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Newbie here.

Great site you have Rolly. I should've gone through it more closely before I asked you about homes & styles. What I need is someone with your experience in a coastal area. I have to admit you are in a better climate than what I'm looking for.

Peter

Sep 13, 2010, 4:38 PM

Post #28 of 30 (7404 views)

Shortcut

Maybe if lake fishing is not too tame you could have the best of both worlds and still be about a two or three hour drive from the coast.

Ustlach

Sep 13, 2010, 5:18 PM

Post #29 of 30 (7390 views)

Shortcut

Billy,

Someone else mentioned Guaymas to you earlier in this thread. Guaymas is the Mexican city with a little suburb called San Carlos on its north end.

San Carlos is a fishing village and home to several hundred expat Americans and Canadians who are fishing enthusiasts. It is small and relatively cheap to live there. Guaymas has things like a WalMart and a Sam's Club. In San Carlos you can find lots of businesses that cater to the dominant American/Canadian population.

I don't know squat about ocean fishing, but there are many friendly people in San Carlos who would advise you.

San Carlos is 1.5 hours from Hermosillo where I live, the state capital, and a city with almost anything you could ever need or want. The US border is another four hours to the north. You can get from San Carlos to Tucson in six-seven easy (within the speed limit) hours, not counting the actual border crossing time, which can vary from 30 mins. to two hours these days.

In Sonora, west of highway 15 and down to just a bit south of Guaymas (Empalme) you do not need Mexican tourist passes for your vehicles. I have no idea about boats. This is the Sonora Free Zone.

Rent in San Carlos is reasonable, especially if you are willing to live in a small, Mexican-style house. There is a lot of availability and lots of people in the area who will help you.

Here are links to two San Carlos specific forums where you can sign up for free and start picking the brains of the people who participate there. I find the two forums to be open and friendly.

http://forum.sancarlosmexico.com/
http://vivasancarlos.com/bulletin/index.html

My own best advice to you, wherever you decide to go, is to take it slow and easy. Follow Rolly's advice wherever possible. Rent for a year or two or more or forever. Once you buy, it can be very, very difficult now to re-sell and not take a bath in the taxes.

cookj5

Sep 18, 2010, 2:55 PM

Post #30 of 30 (7215 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Thanks for the advice and the geography lesson.
Without knowing the facts, I assumed the Baja area would be "up there" price wise. yes/no? I've vacationed in Mexico 6 times in the past 20 years. Mostly on the coast, south of Cancun. My idea of a great retirement doesn't include golf. My main thing is salt water fly fishing. I do have a concern on the process of bringing my personal property into Mexico. My Boat (it's paid for) & primary vehicle (Jeep Grand Cherokee) are a must. I'll sell my motorcycle before hand if it is a problem.
Here in New England, Striped Bass, Bluefish and Bluefin Tuna fly fishing is about a 5 month season tops. I know many who'll drop 3k in the Winter to travel to Central America & Mexico for one week, to fly fish (Permit, Tarpon, Snook & Bonefish etc...) That's too rich for my blood.
I may be jumping the gun. I wasn't expecting to make the move until I could collect early retirement. However, things change...
At this time, I'm considering a cash buy out on my pension. Using that to bridge me, until I can get into my 401k and social security. That will safely allow me $1,500.00 a month for the 10 years I'll need for that.
So doing some quick math, my financial budget after 10 years will be my monthly SS checks + 401k withdraws. That might be cutting it close.

Newbie- You mentioned that you have vacationed 6 times in Mexico, primarily at the beach, over the last 20 years. What time of year did you vacation at the beach? How long were you there? Be advised that the weather at the beach from late Fall through early Spring is livable, even nice. Other times of the year may be atrociously hot and humid and often buggy. Even inland a ways will likely be uncomfortable. Before making any permanent plans, I suggest that you spend a season on the coast during the "warm" weather and see if you can deal with it. Many can't. Living on or near the coast in the US (much less Canada) in most places is not remotely like living on the coast in Mexico. There are other places than the coast where weather is wonderful nearly year-round, boatable lakes are available, and you can still be within 3-4 hours drive to the ocean. Think about it.

My apologies to all who live Mexico's coasts year-round. You are hardy souls, but it's certainly not for everyone.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4