Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

BillyD0123

Sep 9, 2010, 3:26 PM

Post #1 of 30 (17480 views)

Shortcut

Newbie here.

Can't Post | Private Reply
 Getting to be the time when I seriously start thinking about settling in Central America. Age, health, and state of the economy is all working against me, here in MA.
I'll read the info here on the board about types of imagration etc... And over the next few months I'll have many questions for the peeps here as well.
First of all, I'm 53, a single male. And would like to bring (trailer) my 21' center console fishing boat with me. So I'm thinking 10 - 20 miles from any ocean coast is where I'd like to settle.
Close enough to do some fishing but far enough away to avoid the higher real estate prices. One question is: Are there short term advantages to owning your own place, versus renting.
Reason is I'm due my pension in 2 years. I can take monthly instalments or a cash lump sum.
Thanks,
Bill from MA.

La Isla

Sep 9, 2010, 4:12 PM

Post #2 of 30 (17467 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BillyD0123] Newbie here.

A point of information: you write of retiring in Central America, but this is a website for those living in or thinking of moving to Mexico, which is in North, not Central, America.

Rolly

Sep 9, 2010, 6:05 PM

Post #3 of 30 (17461 views)

Shortcut

If México is in your sights, you will find a lot of useful information here.
The main word is RENT for a year or two before you think about buying.

Rolly Pirate

Peter

Sep 9, 2010, 7:38 PM

Post #4 of 30 (17429 views)

Shortcut

For your boating needs you might consider Baja California Sur on the Sea of cortez side around towns like Mulege, Loreto, or even La Paz for a bigger city. For immigration you may need to operate off a 6 month visitor's visa until you are fully pensioned and can meet the income requirements for a more permanent visa. That will do for a look-see to get you started.

(This post was edited by Peter on Sep 9, 2010, 7:39 PM)

BillyD0123

Sep 10, 2010, 5:24 AM

Post #5 of 30 (17384 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for the advice and the geography lesson.
Without knowing the facts, I assumed the Baja area would be "up there" price wise. yes/no? I've vacationed in Mexico 6 times in the past 20 years. Mostly on the coast, south of Cancun. My idea of a great retirement doesn't include golf. My main thing is salt water fly fishing. I do have a concern on the process of bringing my personal property into Mexico. My Boat (it's paid for) & primary vehicle (Jeep Grand Cherokee) are a must. I'll sell my motorcycle before hand if it is a problem.
Here in New England, Striped Bass, Bluefish and Bluefin Tuna fly fishing is about a 5 month season tops. I know many who'll drop 3k in the Winter to travel to Central America & Mexico for one week, to fly fish (Permit, Tarpon, Snook & Bonefish etc...) That's too rich for my blood.
I may be jumping the gun. I wasn't expecting to make the move until I could collect early retirement. However, things change...
At this time, I'm considering a cash buy out on my pension. Using that to bridge me, until I can get into my 401k and social security. That will safely allow me $1,500.00 a month for the 10 years I'll need for that.
So doing some quick math, my financial budget after 10 years will be my monthly SS checks + 401k withdraws. That might be cutting it close.

gpkgto

Sep 10, 2010, 5:50 AM

Post #6 of 30 (17381 views)

Shortcut

Look at the Oaxaca coast--there are many quiet, non-touristy beach areas.

BillyD0123

Sep 10, 2010, 6:21 AM

Post #7 of 30 (17372 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkgto] Newbie here.

Thanks, will do.
At first I was " Oaxaca, that's 100 miles from the coast"
I'll look via google at that area 10 miles inland from the water.
Any towns worth looking at first?
Thanks,
BD

DavidHF

Sep 10, 2010, 6:27 AM

Post #8 of 30 (17368 views)

Shortcut

You might also look at the coastal towns north of Manzanillo such as Barra de Navidad and Melaque. Many parts of Baja are not expensive but it's darned hot there. All depends on what you like but the Sea of Cortez has great fishing.

BillyD0123

Sep 10, 2010, 6:29 AM

Post #9 of 30 (17368 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkgto] Newbie here.

Jeez! The area just south of Salina Cruz from the Google satilite view, looks like it should be some kind of resort area. I know I'm from the Northeast, however I've never aseen any travel brochures for it. What's the deal?
Looks very fishable ;) and may have protected water for marinas?
Anyone on the board with info?

Peter

Sep 10, 2010, 6:40 AM

Post #10 of 30 (17364 views)

Shortcut

I was going on what a friend had told me about that part of Baja after he sailed down and spent a year or so living on his boat. Baja, I'm told, tends to be a bit higher cost than many mainland places and Los Cabos will get you into the Cancún price structure but that seems to be not so much so in the areas I mentioned. For your type of boat I thought the Sea of Cortez might be ideal but as Gary suggests Oaxaca coast or the Michoacán coast could be a good Pacific Ocean option, both are fairly non-commercial - Oaxaca has a couple touristy areas, Michoacán zip.

I was 53 and single when I retired and came full-time to Mexico, though neither of those are true now except that I am still here with no intention to leave. I had to wait a couple years or more for my full pension to kick-in but to start it was just enough to squeak by the $1000 mo. necessary for my FM3 visa. I am glad I took early retirement with a separation bonus.

Guymas was supposedly the number-one drive in destination. That is also a seaport town on the Sea of Cortez but on the mainland in the State of Sonora, the first coastal area you hit on the highway down from Nogales. I spent a day there once, it was pretty and may be worth checking out.

Hopefully you will get hit with a barrage of suggestions from people better informed about some of those areas than I. Just one thing I heard about the town of Múlege was that a number of people visit there, love it, then set up home with the idea of spending the rest of their lives there but after a few years decide to move on because it lacks excitement.

By all means, check it all out.

BillyD0123

Sep 10, 2010, 6:51 AM

Post #11 of 30 (17360 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for the tip :)
It's too soon to see a trend develop but... In general, is the west coast more do-able than the east? Retirement wise?
Just for a baseline. In the past I've shopped the inland midcoast of Maine for buildable camp/cottage/retirement home lots. In this economy a real estimate is 30K for something that will get a building permit without much trouble; like "wetland" issues. What are the $ number estimates for buildable lots just 10 miles +/- inland of the Sea of Cortez or Salina Cruz locals?
Just for the sake of throwing some personal info out there. I've been in construction all my life. I'm a license Plumber & Pipefitter. However, that and 50 cents will get me all of a cup of coffee in Mexico.
Any info would be helpful.
:)

Hound Dog

Sep 10, 2010, 8:36 AM

Post #12 of 30 (17323 views)

Shortcut

Jeez! The area just south of Salina Cruz from the Google satilite view, looks like it should be some kind of resort area. I know I'm from the Northeast, however I've never aseen any travel brochures for it. What's the deal?
Looks very fishable ;) and may have protected water for marinas?
Anyone on the board with info?

The coastal area from Salina Cruz/Tehuantepec southeast to the border with Guatemala is indeed very fishable with countless lagoons and isolated, protected marinas. The area along the Isthmus of Tehuantepec including such interesting cities as Tehuantepec and Juchitan, is historically important and very colorful. Once you enter the stretch along the Chiapas coast, the area becomes even more primitive and is a land of mostly indigenous fishing villages and encampments. There are some beach resorts appealing to locals which will be deserted during the work week but jammed on weekends although foreign tourists would be scarce indeed. For the adventurous fisherman with a command of the Spanish language and an inclination to try and comprehend indigenous languages and cultures in at least a superficial manner, this isolated coastal region might be an appealing place to settle and would certainly be dirt cheap to live in if one adopted a spartan existence. This area would not appeal to the average NOB tourist or recreational fisherman. If you moved there, I would recommend you initially settle in Tehuantepec or Juchitan or, farther south, in Tonalá, Puerto Arista or around Tapachula in Chiapas. This would not prove an easy transition and I would not even attempt it without a decent command of the Spanish language.

The Creature From the Black Lagoon abides in these parts along the Chiapas coast. Watch what you pull in with that line.

There are plenty of inexpensive places to rent or buy for your residence all along this coast in or near urban areas. In isolated areas along the Chiapas coast you may or may not be welcomed by locals. If you go there tread lightly and respectfully exploring until you find a place where you may be welcome. By all means, rent - don´t even think of buying property in this area, except in larger cities, until you are much better acquainted with the villages and people of the region.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Sep 10, 2010, 8:49 AM)

BillyD0123

Sep 10, 2010, 12:36 PM

Post #13 of 30 (17280 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Newbie here.

Thanks Hound Dog. Now I know where to avoid ;)
You do appear to know the areas, thanks again.
I can adopt to a certain level of minimalism. However, electricity
and no more than 15 miles to a well stocked grocery store is a "must have" for me.

Hound Dog

Sep 10, 2010, 6:26 PM

Post #14 of 30 (17204 views)

Shortcut

...no more than 15 miles to a well stocked grocery store is a "must have" for me.

Billy:

"Well stocked" is a relative term. Mexico in general is not "well stocked" if you get my drift.

Dawg

morgaine7

Sep 10, 2010, 7:41 PM

Post #15 of 30 (17174 views)

Shortcut

I live in La Paz (and used to live in Boston/Cambridge). Unfortunately, I know almost zip about fishing, although many people vacation or even move here for that reason. Here's a website of folks I know who run a fishing operation in La Paz:
http://tailhunter-international.com/
and another in Loreto:
http://bajabigfish.com/
I moved here in 2007 in a situation similar to yours (unplanned early retirement, not yet eligible for Social Security, cutting it close). $1,500 may be do-able in La Paz, Loreto, or maybe even San José del Cabo, depending on your housing needs and how much you spend on the "toys" and fishing. I own my house and could live on $1,000 if it weren't for health insurance and visiting my elderly mom in the US. La Paz has decent stores ("well-stocked" might be overstatement), and Los Cabos even more, though I gather that living expenses are higher there. Expats from Loreto usually come here to shop, especially now that we have WalMart and Home Depot. I think this a great place to live ... pretty, funky, friendly, not too big or too crowded.

Temporary import permits aren't needed here for cars, and I don't think for bikes or boats. You might check the fishing section on http://forums.bajanomad.com.

Kate

(This post was edited by morgaine7 on Sep 10, 2010, 8:20 PM)

Rolly

Sep 10, 2010, 8:12 PM

Post #16 of 30 (17164 views)

Shortcut

Re: [morgaine7] Newbie here.

"Temporary imports aren't needed here for cars..."

True, but there is a catch. In Baja the registration (license plates) must be kept current. Depending upon your state's rules, this can be a burden. In mainland México, registration for foreign cars does not have to be kept current.

Rolly Pirate

morgaine7

Sep 10, 2010, 8:17 PM

Post #17 of 30 (17159 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Newbie here.

Good catch, Rolly! I have a Mexican car, so I didn't think to mention that.

Kate

robt65

Sep 10, 2010, 8:57 PM

Post #18 of 30 (17147 views)

Shortcut

Re: [morgaine7] Newbie here.

You said" . . . . . Good catch, Rolly!

Maybe it is just the late hour and finally a little quite, but I loved the (probaqbly unintentional) pun, to the original posters questions, including fly fishing! Just got a chuckle out of that morgaine7! Great Work!

Robt65

RickS

Sep 11, 2010, 8:38 AM

Post #19 of 30 (17074 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Newbie here.

Of course solving the 'current tags' dilemma can be done by using South Dakota (Clay County) plates. All you need is a US address (yours or a friend/relative) to which the plates, then annual tags can be mailed.

BillyD0123

Sep 12, 2010, 5:46 AM

Post #20 of 30 (16944 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Newbie here.

Hmm... There seems to be much "working around the system" involved
when retiring/living in Mexico. From what I'm reading so far, I'm getting the impression that some states are more Gringo friendly than others? Jeez, all I want is a quit place to rent or/then have my own place, spend a couple days a week tying flies and fly fishing off the boat. & visit my kids a couple weeks out the year.
This board is a very valuable resource, and I'll be keeping up with it for a long time.
I'm sure you've heard of "Craigslist" I'll be putting in a request for some local counseling/advise. Here in Chelsea, Ma. (borders Boston) It's 80% Hispanic/Latino. I'm sure someone here will be onboard with the American in Mexico situation.
On that note, an ad for a weekly Spanish tutor, would be needed for me as well.

Peter

Sep 12, 2010, 6:43 AM

Post #21 of 30 (16934 views)

Shortcut

Jeez, all I want is a quiet place to rent...

Well, that's kind of the trick. It's not usually easy to find a quiet place in Mexico. And if you do there is no guarantee it will remain quiet.

BillyD0123

Sep 12, 2010, 8:27 AM

Post #22 of 30 (16907 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Newbie here.

That went completely over my head. Why is (quiet living / or not) an issue? It may be a relitive term? Do you have any idea what goes on on my neighborhood until 2am in the morning Fri. & Sat. nights? :(
It's madness!

Peter

Sep 12, 2010, 8:55 AM

Post #23 of 30 (16894 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
That went completely over my head. Why is (quiet living / or not) an issue? It may be a relitive term? Do you have any idea what goes on on my neighborhood until 2am in the morning Fri. & Sat. nights? :(
It's madness!

Anyone else living here in Mexico care to weigh-in on this one, just to get a little consensus?

Regular fiestas, loud music, and general noise are not at all uncommon in many, many places. Where I am living currently while remodelling my other home it is far enough set back from the street to shield me from the street noise and my closest neighbor on the adjoining lot is the Archbishop of Mexico so things are fairly quiet here, except the churches, templos, cathedral, and santuarios (there are many of all types here) on days of celebrations will launch skyrockets starting early in the morning on into the evening.

Just recently the cathedral in Morelia discontinued it's pyrotechnics show each Saturday evening as it does its lighting ritual. Now they only do the lighting, bringing the lights on slowly in stages, play music, and people from all over the city congregate for the ceremony. I miss their pyrotechnics display though.

Mexico is not generally considered a quiet country. Though exceptions can be found one should not count on it as an everyday thing. Your little quiet and secluded spot out in the country may be next to a place where some extended family gathers for their yearly get-together fiesta.

BillyD0123

Sep 12, 2010, 9:14 AM

Post #24 of 30 (16882 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Newbie here.

Hahaha! All that would be a welcome experience.
My noise is Urban Ghetto related. Unhappy pimps, heroin/crack addicts and prostitutes screaming at the law etc... The Police here in Chelsea, Ma. don't
do a thing unless someone gets shot etc...

Peter

Sep 12, 2010, 9:23 AM

Post #25 of 30 (16877 views)

Shortcut

Well then, at worst case you should not be any worse off than before. It might be a pleasing change that most noise I encounter here is "happy noise."
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4