Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

bruscke

Sep 6, 2010, 5:49 PM

Post #1 of 2 (2841 views)

Shortcut

Leaving car in Mexico under FM-3; Mexican bringing car

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi guys,
I'm a gringo; my wife is Mexican. We are moving to Mexico next year. I'll get an FM-3.

I understand I can bring 1 car into Mexico duty-free. I've been told I can fly out of Mexico under an FM-3 leaving the car in Mexico. Is that so?

I plan to continue to work outside Mexico as a consultant. I'll need to be out of Mexico for a few weeks to a few months at a time. It's not practicle to drive to the boarder just to park the car outside the US; and then fly to the place I'm going to work. So, if there is no way to leave the car in Mexico, I might as well not bring a car. I'd be better off if I bought a car in Mexico which I could then leave in Mexico.

If I can't leave a US-plated car in Mexico, I'll probably buy a Mexican car. Then, say 10 years from now, I'll give up doing gigs outside the country. Would I then be able to bring a US-plated car into Mexico? Or, will I have foregone that opportunity shortly after beginning my FM-3 status?

My wife, as a Mexican citizen, won't need an FM-3. I understand that having resided outside Mexico for many years, she can import our household goods duty free (just as I could as an FM-3). However, I haven't read whether she has the right to bring a US-plated car as a returning citizen. Can she bring a car?

If she can bring a US-plated car, can she also fly out of the country, leaving her car in Mexico?

Thanks

Rolly

Sep 6, 2010, 6:03 PM

Post #2 of 2 (2833 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bruscke] Leaving car in Mexico under FM-3; Mexican bringing car

Can't Post | Private Reply
With an FM3, you can leave your car when you fly out. No problem.
Your wife cannot bring her car.
Your wife can drive your car, but she will need to carry documentation that proves she is your wife and that you have an FM3.

You'll find a lot more details on my website.

Rolly Pirate

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4