Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

johang

Sep 5, 2010, 3:46 AM

Post #1 of 4 (4473 views)

Shortcut

Morre Nayarit Bridges Collapse

Can't Post | Private Reply
Three more bridges have collapsed in Nayarit, Mexico restricting access to San Blas from the south and isolating Ixtapa, Otates, Cuastecomate and Paranal. There were also land slides and major flooding caused by the 165 mm (over 6 inches) of rain that fell Saturday. The worst damage was in the area between Las Varas and San Blas. Flooding is also reported in San Pancho as well as a landslide on the main highway 200 between San Pancho and Sayulita. More details and map here.

Johan....If we all do a little we can do a lot. Visit our little corner of paradise at the Jaltemba Jalapeño.

(This post was edited by johang on Sep 5, 2010, 3:48 AM)

tashby

Sep 8, 2010, 7:08 PM

Post #2 of 4 (4285 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johang] Morre Nayarit Bridges Collapse

I just got off the phone - Wednesday, 8 de Septiembre - with my friend who is building a house in San Pancho, Nayarit (also know as San Francisco). As reported, the bridge between San Pancho and HWY 200 washed away a few days ago. (This very small bridge is the entry to town from the main coastal highway, and crosses a normally benign river). After the vehicular bridge washed away they built a temporary foot-bridge, but that washed away as well. They've been a bit isolated the last few days. (Think bottled water and propane and eggs and everything....) The river, which beyond this point flows along side of the town toward the ocean, has over-flowed and caused a lot of mess and muck....but don't know if it's more than that.

Tomorrow, she's heading to the airport in Vallarta. In order to get to the highway, just to get out of town, she's taking a zip-line across the river.

Then she has to sit on HWY 200 with mudslides, down to one-lane in areas, and then half of the big bridge over the Ameca River gone.

She's planning to leave at 9 a.m. for a 4pm flight. It's normally a 45 minute drive.

(This post was edited by tashby on Sep 8, 2010, 8:52 PM)

esperanza

Sep 11, 2010, 12:04 PM

Post #3 of 4 (4174 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Morre Nayarit Bridges Collapse

A ZIP LINE! Holy moses! Suitcase in one hand, the other hand on the line!

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Sep 11, 2010, 12:05 PM)

candice

Sep 14, 2010, 12:31 PM

Post #4 of 4 (4055 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Morre Nayarit Bridges Collapse

Well, I didn't have to fly out on a zipline after all. They'd rebuilt the pedestrian bridge overnight. If you'd like to read the story and see some photos of the floods and bridge collapses, they're on my blog this week.

http://www.sanpanchovida.com/

(This post was edited by candice on Sep 14, 2010, 12:31 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4