Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

4 musketeers

Sep 4, 2010, 11:52 AM

Post #1 of 11 (9200 views)

Shortcut

Jobs for "gringos"

Can't Post | Private Reply
hello:)
Thank you for your responses. What kind of jobs do you see "gringos" doing in Mexico and being able to maintain a living. We are moving from th US, so becoming or being well off are not a priority. It's more of the quality of life. So what kind of work do u "someone in Mexico" actually see escapees doing an making a life in Mexico or even surrounding areas?
Thanks again!
disabled 29 Nov 2010 by TB to stop further e-mail notifications from forums

richmx2

Sep 4, 2010, 1:38 PM

Post #2 of 11 (9167 views)

Shortcut

Re: [4 musketeers] Jobs for "gringos"

There's an opening for a gringo hit-man supervisor right now, the incumbent in that position having retired -- although, of course, he spoke Spanish.

http://mexfiles.net
http://mexicobookpublishers.com

Gringal

Sep 4, 2010, 1:41 PM

Post #3 of 11 (9163 views)

Shortcut

Re: [richmx2] Jobs for "gringos"

For shame. Chuckle.

wendy devlin

Sep 4, 2010, 2:46 PM

Post #4 of 11 (9145 views)

Shortcut

Re: [richmx2] Jobs for "gringos"

Rich, when you're bad, you're good!

4 Musketeers.

Please forgive us forum regulars/irregulars for the above comments. More serious replies ot your questions may be forthcoming.
Although my general POV is that gringos who move to Mexico, hoping to make a reasonable economic wage, need to realistically assess their prospects in the highly competitive national situation. The likes of which,perhaps from their past experience, they have not imagined.

If applicants are married into the culture and have extended family or networked into specific fields with corporate or 'friendship' support, there may be more of a safety net, social cushion to aid their adjustment period over time.

However if going, 'freelance', meaning unsupported, there are so many potential pitfalls, that only the most intrepid or foolish, in my opinion, need apply.

It's darn hard for Mexicans in their own country, to make an economic go of it, that gives them a low to high middle class life-style as the yard-stick might apply in other countries. And from all accounts, it's not been getting any easier, in recent years.

chicois8

Sep 4, 2010, 3:47 PM

Post #5 of 11 (9129 views)

Shortcut

Here is a page from rollys site, he may also have some info on working in Mexico also...
http://rollybrook.com/starting_a_business.htm
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

Rolly

Sep 4, 2010, 4:07 PM

Post #6 of 11 (9121 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Jobs for "gringos"

http://rollybrook.com/workingfm3.htm

Rolly Pirate

Casa

Sep 5, 2010, 12:12 AM

Post #7 of 11 (9035 views)

Shortcut

Gringos hold a variety of jobs in Mexico that are able to maintain a living.

You will find Gringo Diplomats and US Gvt workers, like DEA in different parts of Mexico. (Although most jobs held at US Consulates are held by Mexicans or Dual citizens)

You will find gringo factory and plant managers, country/ territory managers for US companies, and telecommuting writers, website designers and other types of telecommuting high tech workers.

bournemouth

Sep 5, 2010, 6:58 AM

Post #8 of 11 (9009 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Casa] Jobs for "gringos"

Most of the jobs you mention would be held by people hired in their country of origin and not in Mexico. So perhaps that is the angle that the OP needs to investigate.

Marlene

Sep 5, 2010, 7:18 AM

Post #9 of 11 (9002 views)

Shortcut

The employment situation right now in the beach resorts is quite dismal. We have recently seen MANY people forced to return to their home countries for economic reasons. (Hopefully they didn't burn bridges when they moved down here.) Local businesses are struggling to stay open, but many cannot. There are many people out of work right now. We see elderly people, including women, walking the neighborhoods looking for salvageable junk and tin cans they can sell for a little money to buy food and pay electricity. If you don't have a pension or guaranteed income each month, it's not exactly the paradise you have read about.

leegleze

Sep 5, 2010, 7:55 AM

Post #10 of 11 (8987 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Jobs for "gringos"

I agree with the above posters. I have taught English part-time at resorts here in the PV area for 10 years and whenever the economy slides, or circumstances beyond the resort's control occur (weather damage, bad press, etc.), my job is the first to go. Fortunately, I have a reliable income from Canada which allows me to live very frugally. I am hired back as soon as things begin to pick up, but it is by no means a steady job. I've heard from other gringas that even English teachers in established schools are losing their jobs temporarily. I would explore the area another poster suggested: jobs with American/Canadian companies who do business in Mexico (For example: Tour companies, manufacturers, airlines, etc.) If your hubby, or you, is a computer whiz, there might be a position where you can live anywhere you like and still do the job for a U.S.-based company. However, you would have to show the Mexican authorities that you have a steady income to support your family to become a legal immigrant. Maybe set up a surfing business in an outlying town? Sure, you'd have lots of competition but ... oops ... no tourists! Believe me, my little beach town is dead, compared to three years ago when it was bustling!

Most gringos who live in the PV area have an income (retirement, trust, etc.) from their country of origin. The bottom line in PV is that where there are no tourists, there are no jobs. There are no tourists due to the bad press we receive, even though it isn't true. Sorry, but I wouldn't risk my children's welfare in a tourist area. IMO, it would be very irresponsible.
~ Roxana in Bucerias ~

Gringal

Sep 5, 2010, 9:30 AM

Post #11 of 11 (8957 views)

Shortcut

Re: [leegleze] Jobs for "gringos"

Why do these threads remind me of a couple who wrote that they were "stuck in Mexico" a while back, desperately seeking the means to get back to the states? Whatever you finally decide to do, keep enough funds to return to the States where your chances of employment, even in this economy, would be better.

I hate to be pessimistic, but this is not a good time to head for "paradise" and hope for the best. As others have suggested, it would be best to try to find employment with a U.S. based company with Mexican branches.

As for the "beautification" business........it's a very crowded field; licensed, unlicensed and comb-in-pocket.

Good luck in making the right decision for you and your family.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4