Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

4 musketeers

Sep 3, 2010, 2:31 PM

Post #1 of 17 (21392 views)

Shortcut

Moving to pv!

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello, we are a young family of 4. We are also ready to leave the USA. We have done alot of research, but mostly the info is contradictory. Mexicos the best, but you can't......you name it from...you can't live there for more than 180 days, it's impossible to get in in/non immigrate card(fm2,fm3). What's the real skinny? To me it's kind of like the beach, (the movie) there's no map don't come!!!P
We have plenty of questions and hopefully someone or some people with a positive nature can help answer or even guide us.
My husband has always been successful in business, Im a latina woman with a cosmotology license, that is also an US citizen, so can we find work, could we buy a salon, can he find a j o b, and if so, if we are willing to try, is there a light at the end of the tunnel in Mexico/pv?
Please help with any response, thank you in advance!!
disabled 29 Nov 2010 by TB to stop further e-mail notifications from forums

Rolly

Sep 3, 2010, 4:10 PM

Post #2 of 17 (21380 views)

Shortcut

Re: [4 musketeers] Moving to pv!

For a good start, read this: http://rollybrook.com/...o_move_to_mexico.htm
You'll find many of your questions answered.
Other pages on the website will provide more information about working and starting a business.

Rolly Pirate

4 musketeers

Sep 3, 2010, 5:35 PM

Post #3 of 17 (21356 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Moving to pv!

Thanks rolly, I have actually read that article! I'm just curious as the next person I suppose, is as to if I could actually move our family and not be worried! You know.... About becoming homeless in another country, going thru all our savings, and finding an end to means. We have some savings but I don't know if it's enough, to give us the time we need to, for lack of better words....dig our feet in!!! We are ready, responsible and committed, successful people, but everything I, you ,read, the negative seems to rise to the top, I've found plenty of info and continue to learn more each day. I just can't help but think we can achieve anything we want! But the negative blogs, forums, and sometimes responses make me think and hesitate for a minute. Our children are small so it would be obtuse of me to not consider the worst.
However, I'm still looking forward to the discovery and possibility of life and work in Mexico;) is there an actual opportunity for this to become a reality??? Well find out maybe even the hard way!
Thanks again!

Peter

Sep 4, 2010, 12:56 AM

Post #4 of 17 (21287 views)

Shortcut

What you are asking about and hoping for is not impossible but it is highly improbable and likely not worth the bother. First off, if you do find work and get approval you would likely be earning 5-10 times less than you would in the US. Without a job that is in demand and not able to be filled by a Mexican citizen you would need a steady income from outside the country to qualify for a long-term visa like the FM3, and with your dependents you would need $2000usd a month or more to qualify. For those with substancial savings there are some work-arounds but from what you describe for your situation the security of that arrangement would be rather tenuous.

There are lower-cost areas that might be more flexible about your income requirements but PV would not be one of those. You not only have selected a higher cost area but one with a large Mexican workforce available and also many foreign residents that you would also compete with for the type of jobs available to foreigners.

To repeat, your situation is not impossible but it is highly improbable. Unless there are other factors not mentioned or explored, like your spouse being eligible for citizenship or something such, you need to consider other opportunities. This ain't the United States where any foreigner can waltz in off the streets and find employment. If you were a single beach bum you maybe could get by with flying below the radar here for awhile but they are making that more difficult all the time.

Casa

Sep 4, 2010, 8:48 AM

Post #5 of 17 (21215 views)

Shortcut

It looks like you are looking for some positive reinforcement or someone to say “Move to PV its paradise, you will love it“

Did you see this thread? Help!!! We are moving to Mexico It might put some things in perspective.

There is a reason why so many Mexicans (both documented and undocumented) go to the US and Canada to work. (It’s not the weather or the food)

Can you get no inmigrante or inmigrante card? Yes you can if you meet the requirements. See Rollys site or www.inm.gob.mx

Can you find work? That depends do both of you speak Spanish? What is your husband’s current occupation? How much of a pay cut are you willing to take? Do either of you hold Mexican citizenship? www.occmundial.com is a Mexican job listing board. (Don’t be surprised when the job requirements say “good looking single female, no children between 18 and 24”.)

I am sure there is a range but to give you an example I currently pay 50 pesos plus 10 peso tip for a haircut. So that’s about $3.85 for the haircut and 77 cents US for the tip. You can probably use that as a basis to figure out what the salon owner or haircutter’s salary is.

Also you might note that the drop in tourism (H1N1, Narco Violence, Airline bankruptcy, etc) has affected PV.

If are really set on moving to PV. I suggest that you rent a place there for a month or two and look for a job so you can see firsthand what it is like. Everyone has different a different situation, requirements and expectations for a happy life. (If you cannot afford to do this then IMHO you cannot afford to move there)

Good luck

"El Dinero no da la felicidad, ah, pero como calma los nervios."

Maesonna

Sep 4, 2010, 11:57 AM

Post #6 of 17 (21157 views)

Shortcut

Is there a particular reason why PV? With the obstacles already described by the above posters, your chances are probably lowest in cities frequented by tourists. If you have any chance of succeeding at all, it's probably either in some place you haven't heard of or in one of the largest cities. Moreover, your chances are probably greater if you can find a job or business opportunity that makes use of the single greatest advantage you have over locals: native knowledge of English.

La Isla

Sep 4, 2010, 12:44 PM

Post #7 of 17 (21141 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] Moving to pv!

In Reply To
Moreover, your chances are probably greater if you can find a job or business opportunity that makes use of the single greatest advantage you have over locals: native knowledge of English.

Mexico is certainly a place crawling with beauty shops! In my neighborhood in Mexico City, there must be 10 within walking distance from my apartment, with prices for haircuts ranging from $50 to $250. Perhaps yet another hair-cutting establishment might have a chance of getting a foot in the door if at least one of its beauticians spoke English, since I live a hop, skip and a jump from the US Embassy.

richmx2

Sep 4, 2010, 2:02 PM

Post #8 of 17 (21114 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Moving to pv!

But, would the local beauticians and barbers welcome foreign non-union competition. What are the training requirements for beauticians... and do foreigners meet them (just a guess, but I bet the test is in Spanish, with maybe an option of taking it in Nahuatl in DF)?

Seriously, what jobs are NOT being filled now by a huge labor pool? Here in THIS resort town, I'm noticing that even the condo touts and under-the-table waitrons jobs are being filled more and more by "return citizens"* rather than foreigners. I suppose if one has a skill, and the capital to set up a business that serves the self-contained gringo market... or a specific skill (like ESL teachers) that almost requires foreigners by definition. The only other possibilities I can see are for those whose jobs either don't require them to live anywhere in particular (I rent a room to a woman who updates data records for a European firm, and can live anywhere there are internet connections. Another I know is a book indexer and translator) or are in some sort of "bridge" job -- meaning people like buyers for export firms or reporters or travel writers. But those jobs require knowledge of Mexico and Mexican culture.

* I can't think of a neutral term for Mexicans who emigrated to the U.S. as minors and are now being forced to return to a country they know little about.

http://mexfiles.net
http://mexicobookpublishers.com

(This post was edited by richmx2 on Sep 4, 2010, 2:03 PM)

La Isla

Sep 4, 2010, 2:28 PM

Post #9 of 17 (21106 views)

Shortcut

Re: [richmx2] Moving to pv!

My post was written in the spirit of being helpful to the OP, but I have to agree with richmx2 that a foreign beautician would not be welcome with open arms by the local beauticians and barbers. The OP mentioned that she has a cosmetology license, but that would do her no good in Mexico. If she is a Spanish-speaking Latina, then she might be able to take and pass whatever test would be required to get a Mexican license, but I'm guessing that the bureaucratic path to being eligible to take such a test would be strewn with lots of gigantic trámite-laden boulders.

bournemouth

Sep 4, 2010, 5:50 PM

Post #10 of 17 (21083 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Moving to pv!

Beauticians have licenses?

4 musketeers

Sep 4, 2010, 10:25 PM

Post #11 of 17 (21047 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Moving to pv!

Hahaha beautician.... Cosmetologist do have licenses. Last time I heard beautician... Never....before my time!

Sunnyvmx

Sep 5, 2010, 4:47 AM

Post #12 of 17 (21029 views)

Shortcut

I laugh each time I picture my own haircutter (beautician?) stick the comb into his own coif each time he needed both hands as he was doing a color treatment on a patron in his shop. Can you imagine a health inspector watching this in the States?
And what about the walking haircutter in the RV park in Mazatlan carrying one comb, one scissors, one cloth apron and a huge back massager. We never gave it a thought, grabbed our camp chair and thought, "Oh boy, a haircut and back massage all for 50 pesos."

I still give it little thought, except with a chuckle, as I approach a "porch cafe", reach for a sample in the mercado, pay for a fruit drink on the street or point out my selection of ribs at the corner butcher. I always forget to cross my fingers, but I never leave without a smile. I chose Mexico, Mexico didn't choose me and I left the other "me" at the border.

Mexico is the place to come if you have money, even a little money by U.S. standards, but it's not the place to run to if you don't have it.

bournemouth

Sep 5, 2010, 6:56 AM

Post #13 of 17 (21008 views)

Shortcut

They have licenses in Mexico? - I understand about NOB but would be amazed if they are licensed in Mexico.

ncferret

Sep 5, 2010, 9:06 AM

Post #14 of 17 (20973 views)

Shortcut

Actually they are licensed - at least here in Mazatlan. I'm not saying every person that cuts hair here has a license, but they are supposed to have one. The 2 places I go both have there certificates on the wall.

bournemouth

Sep 5, 2010, 9:54 AM

Post #15 of 17 (20950 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ncferret] Moving to pv!

Thanks for that info - you learn something everyday!

richmx2

Sep 5, 2010, 12:04 PM

Post #16 of 17 (20916 views)

Shortcut

More to the point, in most places they have a sindicato.

http://mexfiles.net
http://mexicobookpublishers.com

Goyo

Sep 6, 2010, 10:22 AM

Post #17 of 17 (20780 views)

Shortcut

Maybe you could try what many others have, ie, move to Sayulita and hope for the best.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4