Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

S & C

Sep 2, 2010, 6:35 AM

Post #1 of 14 (18979 views)

Shortcut

shipping a car to Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
Has anyone shipped their car to Mexico instead of driving it down?
I am very tired of the drive from northern PA and with all the border violence along my route to Tulum, Q Roo, I am thinking of shipping a car from Tampa to either Progresso, Calica, or Puerto Morelos and then flying down and picking the car up to leave down there.
Can anyone help in figuring how best to get this done?
Thanks
Stan

Rolly

Sep 2, 2010, 9:44 AM

Post #2 of 14 (18930 views)

Shortcut

Re: [S & C] shipping a car to Mexico

"picking the car up to leave down there"

Do you have an FM3? If not, you can't leave it. You might be $s ahead to buy a car in México.

Rolly Pirate

S & C

Sep 2, 2010, 12:56 PM

Post #3 of 14 (18887 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] shipping a car to Mexico

Yes I have an FM3 but I think I can get a better quality car used in the US than in Mexico.
From what I understand you can only get used cars from another person, not from a dealer with warranties etc. The people I know that have purchased used in Mexico were not too happy with the results.
That was the reason for my post. If anyone has shipped a car I would like to hear from them about it. Like how to do it, approx cost, customs hassle etc.
Thanks
Stan

Moisheh

Sep 3, 2010, 5:16 AM

Post #4 of 14 (18823 views)

Shortcut

You can buy a car from anyone you wish including dealers. Some do offer a warranty but it is probably not worth the paper it is printed on. You are correct that it can be difficult to find a good used car.

Gringal

Sep 3, 2010, 7:52 AM

Post #5 of 14 (18802 views)

Shortcut

Just a thought here, though: Once you have your U.S. plated car in Mexico, your may have a new issue to deal with later. If you decide to stay, and if you get your FM-2, then you can no longer drive your U.S. plated car and must either get it "nationalized" (sometimes problematical and/or expensive) or take it back to the border and sell it in the states. You won't be able to sell it legally in Mexico. Check on Rolly's site (www.rollybrookcom) for more details.
You might be able to find a good one-owner Mexican plated car here though an individual, and that might cost you less money and hassle in the long run.

Rolly

Sep 3, 2010, 8:26 AM

Post #6 of 14 (18789 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] shipping a car to Mexico

"if you get your FM-2, then you can no longer drive your U.S. plated car"

This is not a true saying. If you have a Inmigrante - Rentista, you can keep your foriegn car.

Inmigrante - Rentista is the regular, non working FM2. Here is an e-mail from a friend no this subject.

I was called down to immigration today, by the jefa after I had made my application to change from No Inmigrante (old name FM3) to Inmigrante (old name FM2) as a Rentista in order to avoid the capital gains issues.

I was told that I can no longer have a foreign plated car in Mexico as my new car will say Inmigrante - Asimilado. My only "work" is that I collect rent on a single condo that I rent, but that's not really important. Either I had to keep my status as No Inmigrante (FM3) and the car could stay, or I could give up renting the condo and become Inmigrante - Rentista, or I could get rid of the car and change to Inmigrante - with any classification that fits my situation.

I went to Aduana to check with the jefe there as well just to be sure. He showed me the regulation in the book. Clear as a daylight, only individuals with No Inmigrante (any classification) or Inmigrante - Rentista can keep their cars here legally. He said the new cards are designed to make it very easy to determine if one is driving a car here legally as its all in black and white on the front of the card. In plain English, you can't be Inmigrante and do any type of work and keep your foreign plated car here legally.

Rolly Pirate

Gringal

Sep 3, 2010, 12:33 PM

Post #7 of 14 (18746 views)

Shortcut

Rolly...I got that information from Carol's site yesterday, and you can check there to see where she got it. I was surprised that her source (which she quoted from) was so adamant about not being able to keep the foreign plated car with any kind of FM-2. I thought it was the way you just stated. Confused? Yes I am.

Rolly

Sep 3, 2010, 1:01 PM

Post #8 of 14 (18738 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] shipping a car to Mexico

Her source was an INM guy. INM has nothing to do with cars; that's an Aduana matter. The INM guy is wrong accordig to the report from Aduana. I choose to believe Aduana.

Rolly Pirate

Peter

Sep 3, 2010, 2:32 PM

Post #9 of 14 (18711 views)

Shortcut

He said the new cards are designed to make it very easy to determine if one is driving a car here legally as its all in black and white on the front of the card. In plain English, you can't be Inmigrante and do any type of work and keep your foreign plated car here legally.

That part seems to be new, no? The part about Inmigrante other than Rentista not being able to keep their foreign plated car. Some book I had read prior to moving here said that anyone on FM-2 could not keep their cars but I found that to be a myth.

Part of my strategy is to keep my new-ish vehicle for as long as possible. I'm on my final year of FM-3 and with another 5 years on FM-2 my car should be old enough to part with it easily when I'm elgible for Inmigrado. But on the other hand, I estimate in that time my vehicle will have about 35k miles on it so hope it can be nationalized then.
-
In regard to buying a used car in Mexico, there are good, low-mileage cars here to buy if you do a bit of looking. I know several ex-pats that have found good cars at good prices and it has worked out well for them. But considering the condition of many local streets and roads it is quite likely most used cars have had a rough life, but low-mileage well-kept cars can be found without much problem.

Buying a car here is a legitimate consideration. Bringing a car here carries much responsibility just keeping your visa up-to-date and car legal. Then you have the burden of getting it out of the country when that time comes. A Mexican-plated car can remain here legally even when you can't, it's not always easy or possible to be here at visa renewal time if you still live NOB.

Another consideration is that you can only bring one car and at some time you may want come to stay the duration and may wish you had a vehicle to load up and drive down with all your "things."

Casa

Sep 3, 2010, 4:19 PM

Post #10 of 14 (18689 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Inmigrante - Rentista is the regular, non working FM2.

As I mentioned on another thread although not as common as Non working FM2 Inmigrante Rentistas, there are cases where FM2 Inmigrante Rentistas are permitted to work.

Therefore there are cases where one can work and hold a FM2 Inmigrante as a Rentista and therefore have a foreign plated car legally in Mexico. This would be of particular interest to teachers.

Article 48 Sec. 1 of LGP (Ley general de la población)
I.- RENTISTA.- Para vivir de sus recursos traídos del extranjero; de los intereses que le produzca la inversión de su capital en certificados, títulos y bonos del Estado o de las instituciones nacionales de crédito u otras que determine la Secretaría de Gobernación o de cualquier ingreso permanente que proceda del exterior. El monto mínimo requerido será el que se fije en el Reglamento de esta Ley. *La Secretaría de Gobernación podrá autorizar a los rentistas para que presten servicios como profesores, científicos, investigadores científicos o técnicos, cuando estime que dichas actividades resulten benéficas para el país.

*(The Ministry of the Interior may authorize Rentistas to serve as teachers, scientists, researchers or technicians if it considers that such activities are beneficial to the country.)

Lorraine84

Jan 24, 2015, 2:06 PM

Post #11 of 14 (11882 views)

Shortcut

Old thread I see, but I can offer some advice on this. There are plenty of companies that ship to Mexico (here's one if you need a rec: http://www.a1autotransport.com/ship-car-to-mexico.php The down side to doing this is that it's not cheap--expect anywhere from several hundred dollars to more than $1,000 for longer trips. Hope this helps.

robt65

Feb 25, 2015, 4:50 PM

Post #12 of 14 (11543 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Lorraine84] shipping a car to Mexico

Old Thread indeed, and not to change the subject too much , but does anyone know whatever happened to Pete?
Thanks,
robt65

johanson

Feb 25, 2015, 5:57 PM

Post #13 of 14 (11535 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] shipping a car to Mexico

I presume you are talking about the Pete or Peter who posted above and not me
Pete

robt65

Feb 25, 2015, 8:41 PM

Post #14 of 14 (11507 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] shipping a car to Mexico

Yes, about Pete who posted above you. Sorry johanson.
regards,
Robt65

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4