Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Altahabana

Aug 29, 2010, 6:18 PM

Post #26 of 31 (4883 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Reefhound]

| Private Reply
The Zetas control organized migrant smuggling in Tamaulipas and have for several years. There are no freelance criminal gangs operating in Tamaulipas. Very little if anything happens in and around San Fernando without the Zetas knowledge beause they control that part of the state. I don't know what Reefhound fails to comprehend, but there probably aren't more than a handful of people in Tamaulipas who don' think the Zetas did it. Who did it if the Zetas didn't is what i would like someone who comprehends the situation explain.

(This post was edited by Altahabana on Aug 30, 2010, 4:51 AM)

Brian

Aug 29, 2010, 6:36 PM

Post #27 of 31 (4877 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Altahabana]

| Private Reply
Once again, the point was not whether the Zetas were responsible for this particular incident. Rather it is a matter of "guilty until proven innocent". The government pronounced them culpable before the evidence was in. That isn't good leadership. Do you recall how president Calderon, on a trip to Japan, made the claim that all the young soccer players who were slain at a party in Juarez were cartel members. Or how the two Tec students in Monterrey were shot by sicarios. Both were kneejerk answers to quiet the populace but both were wrong. Yes, clearly it appears that the Zetas killed the pollos. But that is determined by the evidence and not supposition.

Reefhound

Aug 29, 2010, 6:46 PM

Post #28 of 31 (4871 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian]

| Private Reply
How do you define "evidence"? Is the survivor's testimony not evidence? You can say that you don't believe the evidence. You can say that the evidence is insufficient to draw conclusions. But you can't say there is no evidence.

Why do some seem to presume that the feds do not have more evidence than they have released? That if we have not heard convincing evidence in the media that no such evidence exists?

The army captured some of the bad guys. One was a juvenile and is in custody. We have heard nothing about them being questioned or what they said. Do you think that is likely because the feds forgot to question or because they have not released what was said?

The army also captured the location where the migrants were killed along with vehicles and weapons. And probably documents and cell phones as well which would contain call histories. We have heard nothing about any of that. Do you think that is likely because the feds forgot to search the place or because they have not released what was found?

Altahabana

Aug 30, 2010, 5:35 AM

Post #29 of 31 (4827 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Considering how incomplete news coverage of events like this is, I don't know how you can say the government pronounced the Zetas guilty before the evidence was in. I cited the circumstantial evidence (which literally screamed Zetas) and as Reefhound said the army had the witness's statement, a load of seized materials, the probable halcon (look-out) they captured and the bodies of the three sicarios they killed. They had all that information before news of the event was even released. And the military certainly knows who the players are in the sectors they patrol.

The government does not need to drum up popular support for its effort to exterminate the Zetas in northern Mexico. Other than the Zetas themselves and their families, everyone wants these guys gone because they have been committing atrocities (on a smaller scale) like this for several years. In fact, the drive to eliminate the Zetas is one of those rare issues--in Tamaulipas at least-- on which both PRI and PAN politicians agree.

The government knew who did this when the first statement about responsibility was issued. If you were being critical of Calderon for trying to spin the event as evidence the war in the north is succeeding, I think that is legitimate and I join you.

Brian

Aug 30, 2010, 7:55 AM

Post #30 of 31 (4807 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Altahabana]

| Private Reply
OK, I give up. Whenever an atrocity occurs in Mexico where the Zetas have been known to operate, they shall be deemed the perpetrators to the exclusion of other criminal groups because it fits their profile. The BorderReporter cited an example at the Guatemala border for example. That supposition will serve the purposes of both the government and the rival cartels. This is as much a war of words as of bullets. Once the Zetas are eliminated, the symbiotic relationshiop between Los Pinos and the dominant cartel can resume. Business as usual. 28,000 dead.
What a waste.

Brian

Reefhound

Aug 30, 2010, 8:56 AM

Post #31 of 31 (4799 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
"OK, I give up. Whenever an atrocity occurs in Mexico where the Zetas have been known to operate, they shall be deemed the perpetrators to the exclusion of other criminal groups because it fits their profile."

Who said that? What I said is if this reporter wants to write an article on how zetas are unfairly scapegoated then he should pick an example of where they were unfairly scapegoated. I don't know about this Guatemalan border incident and didn't say anything about it. Neither did this reporter.

There is no quota or limit on how many heinous acts they commit for which they can be blamed for. If they commit ten bombings or murders next week, would you insist they only be blamed for two so as not to appear to be scapegoating?

Obviously, a good investigation will consider all possibilities and not exclude them prematurely but you have to follow the evidence that is available, not chase after baseless theories for which no evidence exists. I said in my first post that it's possible another group did it and pinned it on the zetas but there is no evidence that I've seen to back this up.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4