Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

La Isla

Aug 23, 2010, 10:25 AM

Post #1 of 11 (5761 views)

Shortcut

Una duda

Can't Post | Private Reply
After I sent him an interesting email with news about all the neat things I've been doing lately, a new male Mexican friend wrote and told me Por tu correo anterior veo que eres una persona muy inquieta y sensible. I think he was giving me a compliment and I understand what sensible means, but I'm not so sure about the implications of inquieta . Any ideas from our resident language peritos ?

Thanks!

mcm

Aug 23, 2010, 10:38 AM

Post #2 of 11 (5757 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Una duda

I would go with the second definition of "Inquieto" from the Diccionario de la Academia Real:
"Propenso a promover o efectuar cambios". -- so, "inquieta" would indicate that you have a tendency to look for or promote change -- e.g., a curious person who likes to try new things.

La Isla

Aug 23, 2010, 10:48 AM

Post #3 of 11 (5753 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mcm] Una duda

I like that second definition. Thanks, mcm. Maybe I'll add it to my CV ( : !

cbviajero

Aug 23, 2010, 11:02 AM

Post #4 of 11 (5750 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mcm] Una duda

i agree with mcm, a person open to new ideas ,experiences,etc.i would take it as a compliment.

La Isla

Aug 23, 2010, 12:33 PM

Post #5 of 11 (5741 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Una duda

Thanks what I intend to do!

Peter

Aug 23, 2010, 1:30 PM

Post #6 of 11 (5735 views)

Shortcut

I checked with my resident expert here and she says about the same, usually denoting a busy person that is always into doing different things. It seems to have been meant as a compliment to you but is possible to have other meanings less complimentary like meddlesome or pragmatic - as near as I could understand from Tere.

I wondered about your use of "perito" which I found in the dictionary some time back as "expert". I asked around about it, if it would apply all-around though I had only seen it in use as a name of a branch of police that investigate accidents or crimes. They told me they only use it for the police and often call them los perros. When I asked Tere about your question I told her I need to ask an "experta" thinking if I mis-used to word and she thought I said "perrita" that it would be wise to avoid her cooking for a few days.

La Isla

Aug 23, 2010, 2:14 PM

Post #7 of 11 (5730 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Una duda

In Reply To
I checked with my resident expert here and she says about the same, usually denoting a busy person that is always into doing different things. It seems to have been meant as a compliment to you but is possible to have other meanings less complimentary like meddlesome or pragmatic - as near as I could understand from Tere.

I wondered about your use of "perito" which I found in the dictionary some time back as "expert". I asked around about it, if it would apply all-around though I had only seen it in use as a name of a branch of police that investigate accidents or crimes. They told me they only use it for the police and often call them los perros. When I asked Tere about your question I told her I need to ask an "experta" thinking if I mis-used to word and she thought I said "perrita" that it would be wise to avoid her cooking for a few days.

Since the person who called me "inquieta" is someone I've met
through an online dating service, I expect that he meant it as a compliment :-) .

I first heard "perito" used in Mexico to refer to expert translators who are certified by the government to do official translations, as in "perito traductor". Checking my favorite online dictionary, I've found many more uses of the word, including expert accountant and qualified electrician. Here's the link: http://dictionary.reverso.net/spanish-english/perito .

cbviajero

Aug 23, 2010, 5:37 PM

Post #8 of 11 (5717 views)

Shortcut

i agree with peter on perito,forensic experts at accident and crime scenes,i wouldnt call my wife a perita because i have problems correctly pronouncing the r and double r,i might get slappped.all that aside i think the guy is hitting on you,good luck.

La Isla

Aug 23, 2010, 6:07 PM

Post #9 of 11 (5711 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Una duda

In Reply To
i think the guy is hitting on you,good luck.

I hope he is ( : ! Thanks for the good wishes.

esperanza

Aug 24, 2010, 4:33 PM

Post #10 of 11 (5680 views)

Shortcut

Yep, perito is a certified translator as well as a forensic expert.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

chris cooper

Aug 24, 2010, 5:36 PM

Post #11 of 11 (5672 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Una duda

A perito is a qualified expert in many fields, whether it be translation, all fields of medicine, engineering, legal, etc... Usually certified or accredited.

(This post was edited by chris cooper on Aug 24, 2010, 5:49 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4