Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

Georgia

Aug 23, 2010, 7:49 AM

Post #1 of 16 (21179 views)

Shortcut

Calcinado

Can't Post | Private Reply
I know this word means that whoever is "calcinado" is dead as a doornail. But my Castillian Spanish background sometimes just doesn't carry over well into Mexican Spanish which is its own thing. What is a good and accurate translation from MExican Spanish into English of the word "calcinado?"

After I learned the meaning of "luego, luego" I realized I had a whole lot of new language learning to do in spite of the fact that I've spoken Spanish all my life!

cbviajero

Aug 23, 2010, 8:23 AM

Post #2 of 16 (21170 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Calcinado

i believe it means burned to a crisp.

Georgia

Aug 23, 2010, 8:25 AM

Post #3 of 16 (21165 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Calcinado

Sounds right. Thanks.

Reefhound

Aug 23, 2010, 11:28 AM

Post #4 of 16 (21151 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Calcinado

Is it generally refer to someone actually dead or someone marked for death? Or both?

chris cooper

Aug 23, 2010, 3:47 PM

Post #5 of 16 (21141 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Calcinado

charred

jerezano

Sep 9, 2010, 11:53 AM

Post #6 of 16 (21008 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chris cooper] Calcinado

Hola a todos:

calcinado--What are the English words? Incinerated? Cremated? Turned to ashes as I want to be cremated rather than buried.

So to me it has the meaning cremated but not in a recognized crematorium. As burned to ashes in a car crash. As burned to ashes by a narco. As burned to ashes by an explosion.

Somebody has suggested charred. To me charred is too mild a term. Somebody else has suggested burned to a crisp. That to me is also too mild a term.

I just consulted the Royal Academia Espanola dictionary which defines calcinar (the verb from which calcinado is derived) as follows:

1. Reducir a cal viva los minerales calcáreos, privándolos del ácido carbónico por el fuego.
]2. Abrasar por completo, especialmente por el fuego. U. t. c. prnl.
3.] Quím. Someter al calor cuerpos de cualquier clase para eliminar las sustancias volátiles.

All three definitions more or less confirm what I have just said. Burned to ashes.

Hasta luego, jerezano.

zaragemca

Dec 17, 2013, 9:01 AM

Post #7 of 16 (15610 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Calcinado

Bienvenido. It could mean two things, que esta hecho de un material llamado, ' Cal' , ( Yeso), o requete quemado. Gerry Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists

esperanza

Dec 17, 2013, 3:09 PM

Post #8 of 16 (15589 views)

Shortcut

Re: [zaragemca] Calcinado

Calcinado only means burnt to ashes. It has nothing to do with cal.

And it isn't used to mean or imply cremated; that verb is either incinerar or cremar. To bury, on the other hand, is inhumar.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Bennie García

Dec 17, 2013, 6:50 PM

Post #9 of 16 (15575 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Calcinado

In Reply To
Calcinado only means burnt to ashes. It has nothing to do with cal.

And it isn't used to mean or imply cremated; that verb is either incinerar or cremar. To bury, on the other hand, is inhumar.

It means burnt to a crisp. Doesn't have to be reduced to ashes, in fact, most of the time it doesn't.

zaragemca

Dec 18, 2013, 10:31 AM

Post #10 of 16 (15553 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] Calcinado

Welcome, Esperanza, which country you are from or have been?

esperanza

Dec 18, 2013, 11:10 AM

Post #11 of 16 (15542 views)

Shortcut

Zaragemca, I was a moderator on Mexconnect from 1999 until 2010, more or less, and a member here for longer than that. I live in Mexico and have been here for nearly 35 years. I am a naturalized Mexican citizen and currently live in the Distrito Federal. I am a food writer (in both English and Spanish) and photographer specializing in the cuisines and cultures of Mexico. I am currently working on a project for the Oxford University Press. In addition, I often work as a Spanish/English/Spanish interpreter and/or translator.

Why do you ask?

(This post was edited by esperanza on Dec 18, 2013, 11:11 AM)

zaragemca

Dec 18, 2013, 12:52 PM

Post #12 of 16 (15524 views)

Shortcut

Ok, Dearly Esperanza. The original expression in relation to, (Calcinado), en Espana which was brought it to Cuba, was in relation of the use of the material which was called, 'Cal', (which is also known es, 'yeso', 'enyesado', etc). La, 'cal', was use for centuries for construction and it was used for what is called, (Repellar), or 'acabado, ' for the walls, before been painted and also for some ceramics work. There is a hispanic say, (Una de Cal y Una de Arena). And that expression, 'Calsinado,(a), was used for the construction and the ceramic affair before been used for anything else, again for centuries. The expression of ,(calcinada,(o), for something that is real burned, it is 'idiomatic', is not the original meaning of the word. I love the Mexican Culture, ( which took me to play with a lot of Mexican Bands here in Houston). But that is the original root of the use of the word, (calcinado),(a). Gerry Zaragemca

(This post was edited by zaragemca on Dec 18, 2013, 1:12 PM)

esperanza

Dec 18, 2013, 1:19 PM

Post #13 of 16 (15511 views)

Shortcut

http://buscon.rae.es/...QHcw3utNsDXX2zrllkpQ

And why "Dearly"?

zaragemca

Dec 18, 2013, 3:01 PM

Post #14 of 16 (15504 views)

Shortcut

That is with good affection, we are both involved in helping other people to understand a new idiom. Gerry Zaragemca

La Isla

Dec 18, 2013, 3:40 PM

Post #15 of 16 (15498 views)

Shortcut

"Dearly Esperanza" is not correct English. It should be "dear Esperanza". Just a little help with your English, zaragemca.

zaragemca

Dec 19, 2013, 10:13 AM

Post #16 of 16 (15473 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Calcinado

Thanks, Dear Esperanza, Gerry Zaragemca

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4