Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

topshelf

Aug 22, 2010, 2:11 PM

Post #1 of 4 (4891 views)

Shortcut

Satellite TV

Can't Post | Private Reply
We completely lost our Dish Network channels in Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo in late May/early June. I put our account on "vacation hold" with Dish and have been waiting for someone to figure it out, but nobody seems to know what to do about it. Apparently, installing a larger dish has not solved the problem.
I have been considering a Slingbox. We have wireless, apparently with sufficient bandwidth, and, although others have told me they are getting good results, I don't want to buy one until i am sure it would work in my location. Dish Network now offers a Slingbox" receiver, but they want $650 to install it. Also, I'm concerned that, apparently, we could not use the computer while the TV is being viewed.
As you may be able to discern, I'm not much of a "techie". We have a MacBook OS X 10.5.8 and an older SD TV that we will have to live with for a while.
I have reviewed the forum posts and many seem to recommend Shaw Direct out of Canada. I love hockey (Sharks, of course), but I have to be able to get NFL ( SF 49er) football also. I am guessing that one or both might not be available. My companion likes old movies.

Can anyone offer some advice as to what the options are with respect to the availability of Dish Network in this area, the usability of "Slingbox" with our existing setup. and the availability and access to Shaw Direct from this location, including how and where to obtain the proper hardware and the cost and content of their programing?

DavidHF

Aug 22, 2010, 2:19 PM

Post #2 of 4 (4888 views)

Shortcut

Re: [topshelf] Satellite TV

Visit www.starchoice.com for the programming and cost. NFL Sunday Ticket is available on StarChoice as is NFL Centre Ice (similar to Sunday Ticket).

hodamayo

Aug 23, 2010, 3:21 AM

Post #3 of 4 (4857 views)

Shortcut

Re: [topshelf] Satellite TV

Top Shelf, what size dish did you start out with in your area? What size are they installing? As an example in my area we used to use a 1.10 meter dish for Cancun and had to switch a to a 1.8 meter dish, and further South some have had to switch to a 2.4 meter dish. I was just in Puerto Vallarta and most people there had to use a 1.8 and some had to have a 2.4 as well. If you have to have your 49ers you may have to go with Shaw Direct if the 2.4s will not work. Or just move to a place where the smaller dish will work. I am an installer in the state of Quintana Roo.

Good Luck
Mike Mayo
hodamayo@hotmail.com
998 147 2532 Telcel
832 861 5106 Vonage
Facebook.USsatelliteTV.com

topshelf

Aug 23, 2010, 5:48 PM

Post #4 of 4 (4823 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hodamayo] Satellite TV

We were using a 75 cm dish. Our TV guy says they have tried a 160 cm without success. He is checking to see if anyone had tried anything larger.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4