Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

chicois8

Aug 17, 2010, 1:18 PM

Post #1 of 7 (6246 views)

Shortcut

Building costs???

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hola, I am thinking of selling my home along the Nayarit coast and moving to higher (read cooler) ground around the Dolores Hildago area..I would like to build a house this time and I know costs vary all over the country, I am looking for approximate building costs for a block house per square meter. Thanks in advance
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

johang

Aug 18, 2010, 5:43 AM

Post #2 of 7 (6181 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Building costs???

In Reply To
..., I am looking for approximate building costs for a block house per square meter....

As a broad rule of thumb I use US$50 per square foot so that would be about US$550 per square meter. My experience is in Nayarit. Material costs should be pretty consistent but labour does vary.

When using this figure you should include everything that is under roof i.e. patios. It includes fixtures and very basic appliances but not furniture.

It will give you a very rough number. The fixtures, appliances and especially the quality, complexity and extent of the tile work you do can make a big difference. A pool would be extra.

Johan....If we all do a little we can do a lot. Visit our little corner of paradise at the Jaltemba Jalapeņo.

onebusyman

Aug 19, 2010, 5:34 AM

Post #3 of 7 (6105 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Building costs???

I am getting ready to build a 1500 sq. ft. Home in Bucerias on a lot in a small development. The developer also does construction and has built most of the high quality homes there. We are still talking rough prices and he says he can build my house for $100 sq. ft. That does include a covered carport and covered patio. The pool will be extra. I will also need to pay for cement block walls surrounding the back yard. I meet with him again in October when I'm there to firm up price and what that includes. I want to be very clear about all the pieces so there are no surprises or hidden costs. I will also meet with the architect to finalize my rough draft design.

chicois8

Aug 19, 2010, 2:16 PM

Post #4 of 7 (6068 views)

Shortcut

Re: [onebusyman] Building costs???

In Reply To
I am getting ready to build a 1500 sq. ft. Home in Bucerias on a lot in a small development. The developer also does construction and has built most of the high quality homes there. We are still talking rough prices and he says he can build my house for $100 sq. ft. That does include a covered carport and covered patio. The pool will be extra. I will also need to pay for cement block walls surrounding the back yard. I meet with him again in October when I'm there to firm up price and what that includes. I want to be very clear about all the pieces so there are no surprises or hidden costs. I will also meet with the architect to finalize my rough draft design.

You must have gotten a builder from Punta de Mita for that price, my next store neighbor in Guayabitos is an architect, engineer and builder..I can send you his address if you want a second opinion, Rick
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

johang

Aug 20, 2010, 6:07 AM

Post #5 of 7 (6021 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
... We are still talking rough prices and he says he can build my house for $100 sq. ft. That does include a covered carport and covered patio. The pool will be extra. I will also need to pay for cement block walls surrounding the back yard. .....

I should have said in my original response that I handled the drawings, permits and day to day management of the project without an architect. This was a couple of years ago when I wanted to understand how it all worked. I assumed the best way to do that was to get involved at the most basic level in the construction. Read additional details of my experience here.

US$100 per square foot still seems high especially if it does not include the wall around the property or the pool. I suggest you get a couple of estimates.

In the end though the least cost is not necessarily the best option. The estimating process and associated discussions will give you a feel for who you are dealing with. Pick someone you have a good feeling about and for whom you have excellent references. Talk to people who have lived with the results from the builder.

As I said earlier the cost will depend a lot on the details of what you build.

Just kidding but bathroom fixtures can be expensive.

Johan....If we all do a little we can do a lot. Visit our little corner of paradise at the Jaltemba Jalapeņo.

(This post was edited by johang on Aug 20, 2010, 6:24 AM)

onebusyman

Aug 20, 2010, 9:56 AM

Post #6 of 7 (5993 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johang] Building costs???

Thanks for your perspective.....and I agree that sometimes the lowest price is not always the best option. My builder/developer is Frank Meyer who has lived in Bucerias for about 20 years. He has a couple of businesses that include property management, land development and construction. Los Mangos is the development just outside of town where I will be building my house. Frank and his crew have built most of the homes there. If you Google Los Mangos you'll find his website. I spent time with him last March, walked through three of his homes under construction and was not only impressed with the quality of his work but also with his values as a human being.

I have been in construction for about 12 years here in Seattle and have pretty high standards and it was fun talking with him about how he thinks about construction and quality there. He and his wife also own a private school in Bucerias, she runs the school and he builds her the classrooms and admin buildings. They believe that one way of helping Mexico be a better place is through educating the children, I like that way of thinking.

I don't want to have to wade through the processes for building in Mexico and will not even be there much of the time that the house is being built. I need to be able to trust my builder to do what he says he will do, listen to my questions and needs and follow through with the quality that I expect. This is my retirement home for the long term and I want easy care, usable spaces and gardens that I can putter in.

The home I built in Seattle is some 3,300 sq. ft., large gardens and lots of upkeep. It's a great place and I've done most of the finish work on it myself. Time to pare down, live in a warmer climate and learn to relax a bit more.

By the way, love the bathroom.....looks much like the one I've designed for my new home!!

johang

Aug 20, 2010, 6:37 PM

Post #7 of 7 (5954 views)

Shortcut

The school in Bucerias has an excellent reputation as you probably know. I agree totally with your assessment. Being comfortable with your builder and feeling that he hears you has got to be very close to the top of the priority list for most folks. Less stress is worth a lot. Maybe we will see you in La Peņita in the near future.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4