Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

Papirex

Aug 14, 2010, 8:02 AM

Post #1 of 5 (9441 views)

Shortcut

Best website in Cuernavaca

Can't Post | Private Reply

Hi guys, this is a link to the best web site about Cuernavaca: http://www.clickoncuernavaca.com/ I hope it is active for you. This site was originally named "Eagle Knights', but the man that created it was late renewing it a few years ago and a speculator seized the name for sale. Rather than pay to get his own name back, he renamed it "Click on Cuernavaca". Not as spiffy a name, but OK. The man that created this site was named Gonzo (Gordon) White. Unfortunately, he died a few months ago and the link for this site became inactive at the end of the month of his death. For a while, an archived home page would come up, but none of the links were active, that archived home page finally stopped coming up.

I finally gave up trying it, and deleted the link to it from both of my stolen laptops. Yesterday, I was cleaning out some of my unused favorites from this repaired desktop, which hadn't been used in about a year and a half before I had it repaired 3 months ago. I was going to delete it, but for some reason I clicked on it. The home page came up again. I thought it was probably the archived, inactive, page again. To verify that the site was dead before I deleted it, I clicked on a link, it was active again. Most of the links are again active, a few of them are not.

Gonzo White was highly thought of in the English speaking ex-pat community here, and although I never had the pleasure of meeting him in person, he did send me an email or two. I was hoping that a friend or associate of his might continue running this site. I don't yet know the circumstances, but for now it is active again. I am very happy to see it is back up and running, we found several good things on this site, a place to have luggage, bags, and purses repaired cheaply, my super Canadian dentista, she is the best dentist I have ever used in my life, etc.

Anyway, I hope this site stays up and running, It has a lot of info about our town, history, archaeological sites, things to do, etc.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

bournemouth

Aug 14, 2010, 2:08 PM

Post #2 of 5 (9404 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] Best website in Cuernavaca

Rex - it says at the top of the page that comes up "last updated February 9 2009" - I have the feeling it is not active now.

Papirex

Aug 14, 2010, 4:45 PM

Post #3 of 5 (9384 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Best website in Cuernavaca

It had said that for the past couple of years, even when it was active. I don't think it has been updated often, but most of the links do seem to be active again. I don't really know, does anyone?

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

cynthrod

Aug 15, 2010, 8:55 AM

Post #4 of 5 (9339 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] Best website in Cuernavaca

Stolen laptops?? How did that happen? That's one of my concerns since all of my work is on my laptop.

Papirex

Aug 15, 2010, 11:37 AM

Post #5 of 5 (9317 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cynthrod] Best website in Cuernavaca

We had a cat burglar enter our home late on May 17th of this year, after 1:30 AM. It was obvious that there was more than one of them and they knew our house well. 3 laptops were stolen, one of them was very obsolete and non-working for 7 years. The other 2 were barely working, and needed repairs. Cat burglars are very quiet, sometimes they have been known to take their shoes off, neither one of our dogs woke up.

The 2 barely working laptops were both password protected. According to my network reports, neither of them has been started yet. I use long, and complex passwords, and they probably cannot be cracked, at least by the average boneheaded thief.

I recommend everyone with a computer, especially a laptop, use a locking cable, and create a password using numbers, letters, some of the letters should be upper case, and symbols, do not use brackets. The longer and more complex the password is, the less likely it can be cracked by any password cracking program. If you must leave your computer in your home when you leave, try to hide it if it is a laptop. Hide the power cable and power supply in a separate area. It is a pain in the neck now to need to use a password to start them, or to hide my new laptop when we go to bed or leave the house, but it is a necessity.

Now that the horse is out of the barn, I have burglar proofed all of the windows in our house, and I lock my computer desk and office at night when we go to bed. We also lock our bedroom door at night too. If anyone breaks a window to get in, or my office or bedroom door, they are dead. I do keep a deadly weapon in a very handy place for me in my bedroom.

I had a lot of training as a military policeman in criminal psychology. A cat burglar is a criminal that is stimulated by the danger of entering a home when he believes the occupants are present. It is a mental condition that they all have. If discovered, they will always try to kill the occupant. A cat burglar is one of the most dangerous criminals on the street. The police here are completely unaware of how dangerous they are.

If you wake up and find an intruder in your home, the best defense is to pretend you are still asleep and let him take whatever he wants to. If the intruder discovers that you are awake, he will ALWAYS try to kill you. Your only defense then is to come up fighting. You are dead if you don't.

Make the decision now when you are not under any stress to use deadly force if necessary. He who hesitates is dead. I had to make that decision when I was only 18 years old when I was a MP. I have made my peace with God, and I sleep well.

I believe I know who the thief was that stole my computers and he is now dead, he used to come to our house every week or two looking for odd jobs. We haven't seen him in 3 months now. I will probably never see my computers again. A neighbor awoke a week or two later to find an intruder in his house. The intruder attacked the neighbor with a knife and tried to kill him. It didn't work out that way though. The neighbor took the knife away and killed the intruder.

I doubt if that was ever reported. The body was probably just dumped in the bosque somewhere, I am not going to ask any questions about it. The families of criminals that are killed that way usually try to take revenge by killing the killer and all of his family. Since an un-embalmed body usually becomes skeletal remains in about one month, the authorities here have neither the means or desire to identify any skeletal remains if they are ever found. Most of them are never identified.

Hide your laptop when you are gone and get an external hard drive to save everything on your computer if that data has value to you. Keep that external hard drive in a secure place in your absence. Don't forget to create a password using the user account icon in the control panel, then click on change an account, then click on computer administrator in most cases. I don't remember if it was the same procedure when I created my first password.

Edited to clarify the procedure to create a password.

Rex

(This post was edited by Papirex on Aug 15, 2010, 2:18 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4