Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

kydonoho

Aug 10, 2010, 8:12 AM

Post #1 of 7 (6091 views)

Shortcut

Help!!! We are moving to Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello. My husband, myself and our two children (10 & 6) are planning to relocate to the Mazatlan area by Sept. 2011. My husband is a Master Electrician and we hope to open our own business or partner with a local. My plan is to work from home via online and assist where I can with the new business. We have begun Spanish lessons and hope to have a good "working" use of the language upon arrival. We would like to enroll our children in private school and desire to become a part of the community. Can anyone recommend areas to live?? (we plan a 2 week trip in February to check out the areas).

We appreciate any and all assistance.

Jeff & Toni

Casa

Aug 10, 2010, 10:57 AM

Post #2 of 7 (6029 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kydonoho] Help!!! We are moving to Mexico

Hi,

Are either you or your husband Mexican? If so this will help get the necessary immigration documents so that you will be able to live, work and or set up your business in Mexico. If not this may be challenging unless you have some substantial savings to invest and live on until you become established.

I would also suggest that you research, research, research and then do more research. The 2010 Minimum wage for an electrician in Mazatlan is about $ 6.21 USD per day. (I believe that Mazatlan is in “zone c” of the minimum wage chart and for an electrician that means 77.6 Pesos per day.)

In addition codes and electrical work in Mexico is VERY different from the US and Canada. (ROMEX not used so much here, black electrical tape and orange tube used a lot here)

I am not very familiar with the different neighbourhoods in Mazatlan so I cannot help you too much there. I am sure that there are some others that can give you that information. You will get better quality information if you have an idea of what you want, house or apartment, size, budget, what kind or area, etc.

Good Luck!

richmx2

Aug 10, 2010, 11:25 AM

Post #3 of 7 (6018 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kydonoho] Help!!! We are moving to Mexico

I can see no way a "master electrician" (master by what Mexican union's certification process?) is going to legally find work in his trade in a country where so many skilled workers have to export themselves to find employment, and where even engineers often work as tradesmen.

That said, there are foreigners with skilled trades who have set up successful businesses in Mazatlán, in niche markets (I can think of a local cabinetmaker who does very well). You might be better off trying the Yahoo "mazinfo" site or the annoying (as far as reading and posting goes, not necessarily the posters themselves -- not all of them anyway) "whatsupmaz.com" site.

http://mexfiles.net
http://mexicobookpublishers.com

texican

Aug 10, 2010, 11:28 AM

Post #4 of 7 (6015 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Casa] Help!!! We are moving to Mexico

I too am a Master electrician that had a large electrical contracting business for 25 years. I would not even begin to consider opening a electrical contracting business in Mexico. One thing you should consider is that the electrical work done here is like nothing I have ever seen in my life. They use smurf tube and single conductor wire, almost all is 120v. the basic wiring and circuiting is just opposite of what common sense dictates. trouble shooting is a nightmare. And I imagine it would be difficult to be competitive with the locals. this is just my personal opinion.
good luck

kydonoho

Aug 10, 2010, 1:30 PM

Post #5 of 7 (5974 views)

Shortcut

Re: [texican] Help!!! We are moving to Mexico

Thank you. The info is very helpful. My husband was shocked! It sounds like even with a decent amount of capital we are not a good fit for Mexico. We just don't have those "niche" skills.

YucaLandia

Aug 10, 2010, 1:34 PM

Post #6 of 7 (5970 views)

Shortcut

Re: [texican] Help!!! We are moving to Mexico

texican,
You're really understating things. Give it to him straight.

Can you work 6 day weeks and live on $25 a day?

Your competition would likely be electricians who don't know a DMM from an OBD II meter. Guys who think it's perfectly fine to wire a 3,300 W water shower head 120V heater with 16 AWG and a 20A breaker. Guys who stuff newspaper in the channels around individual wires and then set it all in concrete w/no tubing/conduit. Guys who think it's perfectly ok to bury any and all cable in salty sand at the beach. Polarity? What's that? Safety grounds are for sissies... (a waste of good wire) *grin*

If you think it's good to wire an entire house on a single 50A breaker, you'll fit in great here.

Typical ex-pat customers say they want things "done right", until they find out that it would mean ripping out all the wires in the entire house and beginning over - and yes, most ex-pats really only want to pay the going wage: $150 USD per week here in the Sureste. Don't get me started on the fun of drilling through mamposteria... (big rocks, packed with medium sized rocks, chinked with little rocks)...

If $25 - $30 a day works for you, come on down.

Hoping you have a sense of humor, (or an already signed contract with a local developer who's overflowing with work),
cheers,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

yTABDGdW

Aug 11, 2010, 7:24 AM

Post #7 of 7 (5865 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Help!!! We are moving to Mexico

Holy shit Yucalandia, you have me spooked. Im planning on building some flats to rent out. What is your advice for avoiding what appears to be dangerous practices?

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4