Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

kydonoho

Aug 10, 2010, 6:12 AM

Post #1 of 5 (5809 views)

Shortcut

Moving to Mazatlan

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello. My husband, myself and our two children (10 & 6) are planning to relocate to the Mazatlan area by Sept. 2011. My husband is a Master Electrician and we hope to open our own business or partner with a local. My plan is to work from home via online and assist where I can with the new business. We have begun Spanish lessons and hope to have a good "working" use of the language upon arrival. We would like to enroll our children in private school and desire to become a part of the community. Can anyone recommend areas to live?? (we plan a 2 week trip in February to check out the areas).

We appreciate any and all assistance.

Jeff & Toni

ncferret

Aug 18, 2010, 7:35 AM

Post #2 of 5 (5677 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kydonoho] Moving to Mazatlan

Since no one else has said anything and a week has passed by, I'll provide the usual warning. Its very difficult to make a living here in Mexico, so if you have lots of savings in the bank and are prepared to build your business over a period of years, that might work for you. The "Master Electrician" that wired my house received 400 pesos a day and his work was better than much of what I had seen in the US, so that might give you an idea of wages. Mazatlan is experiencing the same housing slump (or worse) than the US, so its even tougher here right now than a few years ago.

Of course, you will need permission from Immigration & Sat to work in Mazatlan. Tax and employment laws here are very different than the US. Your first objective should be to find a qualified accountant to help setup the business.

As to the areas you might consider living, there are MANY options. I prefer Centro, but others prefer Lomas (the Golden Zone). Both of these areas have higher concentrations of Gringos, but there are many outlying areas where you won't find many Gringos and prices are lower. Renting a 3 BR house should be relatively easy and almost everyone would suggest renting rather than buying until you decide if Mexico (Mazatlan) is right for you.

You might try posting the same message on http://www.whatsupmaz.org/. More folks post there than here - obviously.

I'm NOT trying to discourage you. I'm just hoping you have your eyes wide open about a move to Mexico.

Casa

Aug 18, 2010, 9:44 AM

Post #3 of 5 (5649 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ncferret] Moving to Mazatlan

Actually there were a few replies under living working retiring click me

Marlene / Moderator

Aug 18, 2010, 10:34 AM

Post #4 of 5 (5641 views)

Shortcut

In addition to the other thread my thoughts are that if you don't burn bridges at home, and can return if you need to then you will have the experience of your lives. We've known several families who have done this same thing.

The fact that you can work online is great. As for making money in a business doing electrical work, that will be much tougher given the wage levels and the expenses of having employees. Not knowing the language can be a big problem when trying to do business here.

If you can afford to take an adventure for one school year, you won't regret it. It will be the experience of a lifetime for your children. If finances won't allow you to be here without working for awhile, then I wouldn't encourage it. Good luck with whatever you decide, and have a great vacation in February!

(This post was edited by Marlene on Aug 18, 2010, 10:36 AM)

roberto79

Sep 1, 2010, 10:16 AM

Post #5 of 5 (5360 views)

Shortcut

hello i know 2 schools that are billingual...

-instituto britanico, it is on sabalo country zone
-anglo moderno, it has 2 campus one on lomas de mazatlan zone and marina mazatlan zone.

and i have apartments for rent @ cerritos beach area

para mayor informacion:
Dirección de correo electrónico: osuna_04@yahoo.com.mx
Número de móvil: 6691258897
Otro: 1925532
Dirección: 52*991808*5
http://retireincerritosmazatlan.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/...555175049&v=info

(This post was edited by Rolly on Sep 1, 2010, 10:37 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4