Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

MazDee

Jul 29, 2010, 1:58 PM

Post #1 of 13 (4711 views)

Shortcut

Shopping Questions

Can't Post | Private Reply
I believe I read here about a new shopping mall in Guadalajara that has many luxury shops. I can't seem to find the info now. Not that I am into spending lots of money, but I thought it would be fun to visit and do some window shopping. Can someone tell me the name and general location? Second question: Is it possible to get a guest pass for Costco, and can you purchase things with a guest pass? My friend and I don't want to buy a membership because it will be a one-time visit. Thanks. Will be visiting Guad in the next few weeks.

Casa

Jul 29, 2010, 2:13 PM

Post #2 of 13 (4705 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MazDee] Shopping Questions

I believe you are referring to Andares in Zapopan. (For more on Andares including Map, hours, ect click Andares )

From Wikipedia:
Andares is a shopping mall located in Zapopan, Mexico in the Guadalajara metropolitan area. This outdoor and indoor shopping center is Guadalajara’s most exclusive shopping mall and is set in Puerta de hierro which is the most exclusive neighborhood in the city. It was opened in November 19, 2008 in a blaze of consumer frenzy that has affected the city in recent years.
The 530 million dollar complex features luxurious world class residencies designed by famous Mexican architect Juan Sordo Madaleno, a luxury Ritz-Carlton hotel and the shopping center complex which features elegant corridors, outdoor restaurants and cafes, anchored by upscale department stores as Liverpool (store) and El Palacio de Hierro in where brands such as Louis Vuitton, Prada, Valentino, Gucci, Oscar de la Renta, Dolce & Gabbana, Chanel, Fendi, Dior, Burberry, Ralph Lauren and most of the high-end fashion boutiques have a "corner shop" available, the corridors and indoor mall features dozens of upmarket clothing stores, including Thomas Pink, BCBG Max Azria, Stuart Weitzman, Façonnable, Marc Jacobs, DKNY, Hugo Boss, Salvatore Ferragamo, Max Mara, Ermenegildo Zegna, Calvin Klein, Lacoste, Swarovski, Diesel, Pal Zileri etc.”

I believe Costco does offer day passes however you cannot make purchases with it. If you want to make a purchase you would have to do one of the following:

1. Buy a membership (it only cost about 400 pesos I believe)
2. Tell a lie at the membership counter and ask them to look up your US membership, when they can find it say there must be some mistake, you are here on vacation and want to make a purchase, what can they do. Speak only English and ask to see the manager if they cannot help you.
3. Get in line and ask the person in front or behind you if you can use their card to make a purchase.

I am not endorsing and of the above methods BUT I have seen ALL of these scenarios in person at the GDL Costco.

bournemouth

Jul 29, 2010, 2:46 PM

Post #3 of 13 (4692 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Casa] Shopping Questions

I had a one day pass from Costco when I forgot my US membership card and was certainly able to buy using it. However you pay a slightly higher price and do not receive the cash discouont. But definitely cheaper than buying a membership that you cannot use again - there is only a Sam's Club in Mazatlan - I think.

Casa

Jul 29, 2010, 3:26 PM

Post #4 of 13 (4684 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Shopping Questions

A day pass that you obtain when you HAVE a US (or other country) membership is VERY different that a day pass when you have NO membership at any Costco in any country.

Judy Parker

Jul 29, 2010, 4:58 PM

Post #5 of 13 (4671 views)

Shortcut

There is a new mall across the street from Costco and in the same area as Sam's and Walmart in Guadalajara. I believe it is called the Galleria. It has lots of upscale stores and is fun to window shop.
Enjoy.

MazDee

Jul 29, 2010, 5:21 PM

Post #6 of 13 (4660 views)

Shortcut

That's the place! Thanks. I think the PF Chang is there, too, and I want to have a meal there. If it is anything like the ones in the US, PF Chang could be the best Chinese food in México.
As for Costco, a membership is out of the question for one visit. We only have Sam's in Mazatlán (alas) and I probably wouldn't be back to use it again. Not a good liar, but your no. 2 is worth a try.
Thanks for the help.

(This post was edited by MazDee on Jul 29, 2010, 5:28 PM)

Casa

Jul 29, 2010, 5:29 PM

Post #7 of 13 (4655 views)

Shortcut

PF Changs is at Andarez as are the following restaurants

Santo Mar,
California Pizza Kitchen,
Chili´s,
El Almacén del Bife,
Gino´s,
La Moresca,
Outback Steakhouse,
Moshi Moshi,
Palacio Restaurante,
Liverpool Restaurante,
Sushi Factory,
PF Chang´s,
Petrossian Restaurant-Bar,

(This post was edited by Casa on Jul 29, 2010, 5:30 PM)

MazDee

Jul 29, 2010, 6:46 PM

Post #8 of 13 (4634 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy Parker] Shopping Questions

Thanks, Judy. I think we are going to Costco, so will check it out.

sioux4noff

Jul 29, 2010, 7:13 PM

Post #9 of 13 (4626 views)

Shortcut

I'd try the one day pass idea. I can't believe you can get a pass to look but not to buy.
But, if that is the case, find a shopper in line and ask if you can check out using their card.

Casa

Jul 29, 2010, 7:23 PM

Post #10 of 13 (4617 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Shopping Questions

In Reply To
I can't believe you can get a pass to look but not to buy.

The pass is good to get in and take a look around to see the products and pricing. I did it at sams and decided it was not worth it, the selection of goods did not interest me.

Who would buy a membership if all you had to do was get a day pass when you wanted to shop?

sioux4noff

Jul 29, 2010, 10:17 PM

Post #11 of 13 (4592 views)

Shortcut

As another poster mentioned, there is an upcharge when shopping with a day pass. Sams Club in Waco, TX used to give day passes fairly regularly to people where I worked to try to entice them to join.

Casa

Jul 29, 2010, 11:10 PM

Post #12 of 13 (4582 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Shopping Questions

In Reply To

As another poster mentioned, there is an upcharge when shopping with a day pass.

As another poster mentioned, the only reason that they able to get a day pass is because they ALREADY purchased a membership and only forgot their card at home.

bournemouth

Jul 30, 2010, 6:39 AM

Post #13 of 13 (4556 views)

Shortcut

Casa - my forgotten card was a NOB card and the store had no way of checking if my story was correct or not. They issued a pass with no problems at all - I believe they will hand one out for almost any reason.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4