Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Anonimo

Jul 29, 2010, 2:28 AM

Post #1 of 7 (15910 views)

Shortcut

Mexican Fish Recipes

Can't Post | Private Reply
A bit of Googling turned up a valuable resource for Mexican fish recipes, in sauces and treatments in a variety of styles and colors.
It's even close to home, right here on Mexconnect.
http://tinyurl.com/2dj3wzr

I'm particularly fond of Filetes de Pescado en Acuyo, fish wrapped in hoja santa leaves, with their subtle anise flavor, then baked or steamed. http://tinyurl.com/23bsb4n

I last had that dish in the amusingly named, "La Embajada Jarocha", a Veracruz style seafood restaurant in Mexico City's Colonia Roma Norte.

Provecho,
Anonimo

Vichil

Jul 29, 2010, 8:11 AM

Post #2 of 7 (15887 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Mexican Fish Recipes

We tasted the hoja santa leaves and fish for the first time in Coatepec, Vera Cruz, we like the idea but we found the dish pretty uninterresting and not that attravtive to look at. The recipe has potential but it needs tweeking in my opinion. Maybe the whole huachinango baked on a bed of santa hojas would infuse the same taste without all that water .

(This post was edited by Vichil on Jul 29, 2010, 8:14 AM)

Anonimo

Jul 30, 2010, 4:11 AM

Post #3 of 7 (15851 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] Mexican Fish Recipes

Maybe if it were wrapped first in hoja santa, then in hojas de plátano, and baked over a smoky fire?

Somewhere, I don't recall where, I had a fish filet in a sauce of acuyo. Or were they Huevos El Bajío, en salsa de acuyo?
Could have been the latter...

I now recall:
Years ago, a the Restaurante El Delfin, in the hotel Las Brisas (now the Garza Canela) in San Blas, Nayarit, we had a very good filete al cilantro. A discussion with the Chef Beatriz ? revealed that she made a bechamel (uh-oh: "white sauce"!), then added purees of local herbs.

So it is possible to blend French/Continental cooking technique with indigenous ingredients to make a very successful outcome.

Somewhere there is a description, if not a recipe for fish in pulque.

And, what of those fish baked in hojas de maíz? We see fire roasted fish sold near the Pátzcuaro mercado (I definitely wouldn't buy one.) and while at Santiago Tianguisteco, EdoMex, we saw fish wrapped in hojas de plátano, but they were painted with chile purees. (if I recall correctly.)

Saludos,
Anonimo

Hound Dog

Jul 30, 2010, 8:20 AM

Post #4 of 7 (15843 views)

Shortcut

Next time I find santa hoja leaves I will fill a dish with it but small whole huachinangos on it with olive oil and salt and pepper and bake it in the oven for 20 or 30 minutes. Will serve it with warm olive oil with lime and orange juice with some spices. I do that with celery leaves and it is very good, the santa hoja leaves should work the same way. Cannot wait to try thanks for bringing up the hojas santa leaves.

May all that juice should be reduced and thicken with a little cream, that may be good too.

Bechamel is way to strong and heavy to use with a good fish in my opinion, unless of course the fish is not fresh then one puts lots of it on it!

The babana leaves are also a good idea, I wll have to try that method as well .

Thanks for the ideas.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Jul 30, 2010, 8:26 AM)

Anonimo

Jul 30, 2010, 8:32 AM

Post #5 of 7 (15840 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Mexican Fish Recipes

Bechamel is way to strong and heavy to use with a good fish in my opinion, unless of course the fish is not fresh then one puts lots of it on it!

(So would "white sauce" with cheese, unless it's tasteless tilapia you are dealing with; then it would benefit.)

Keeping this to Mexican ways of preparing fish: have you enjoyed a pescado al cilantrillo?

Aside; some visiting friends asked me where they might buy "sierra", which I understand is a sort of mackerel, in Pátzcuaro. But as I rarely cook fish at home, all I could do was refer them to the Pescadería Nemo, on the Libramiento. I had some excellent mero (frozen) from there but never sierra.

I keep saying that we need to check out one of the Pescadería Soleman chain in Morelia, but other than briefly walk into a store, we haven't loooked closely at their selection.

Buen provecho,
Anonimo

Vichil

Jul 30, 2010, 2:22 PM

Post #6 of 7 (15816 views)

Shortcut

Bechamel and white sauce with cheese are the same in my book, my dog loves it but I do not bother with it, what is the point making a sauce to make tilapia taste like cheese? I am not a good one to ask about this , if the fish available does not taste like anything I buy something else and do not bother with white sauce.

Mero is delicious .

I buy fish whole so I can tell how fresh it is or do without fish.

Siera looks like macquerel to me. It is a pretty oily and strong fish we picke it, I do not know how the Mexican cook it. I love it in sushi but that is not Mexican.

I have not eaten something called al cilantrillo so I cannot comment on it .

I love fish when it is fresh and smells like the sea when you buy it if I cannot find that I eat chicken or rabbit or anything but fish.

Anonimo

Jul 31, 2010, 12:26 AM

Post #7 of 7 (15787 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] Mexican Fish Recipes

Siera looks like macquerel to me. It is a pretty oily and strong fish we picke it, I do not know how the Mexican cook it. I love it in sushi but that is not Mexican.

Sierra is apparently excellent for ceviche. I haven't tried it.

Pescado al Cilantrillo: Google suggests "al cilantro", and yields only two results!

But searching for "cilantro fish" yields hundreds of results, several not Mexican.

The mero we purchased worked very well in Filetes de Pescado a la Veracruzana. I've been far more satisfied making that at home because most marisquerías in Michoacán where I've had it make it quite differently than what I'm accustomed to. Even at our beloved Mariscos La Güera, it's one of the least satisfactory dishes on their menu. That, perhaps, is another topic.

Buen provecho,
Anonimo

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4