Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

robt65

Jul 27, 2010, 8:25 PM

Post #1 of 13 (20900 views)

Shortcut

A Tasty White Sauce - Easy to Make - For Fish

| Private Reply
Hi All,

I am in search for a tasty white sauce of medium to heavy consistency that would go well with canned tuna or other fresh, but mild white fish such as sole, halibut, swordfish, shark, flounder, crab meat, shrimp, lobster, etc. . . . . . . You get the picture. Please, I know that some of the fish I have mentioned here are not so mild, nor in some cases not so white, but you get my drift.

Fairly simple to make, with no wine only a plain and simple white sauce, maybe even a little cheesy.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Robt

Vichil

Jul 28, 2010, 10:57 AM

Post #2 of 13 (20864 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] A Tasty White Sauce - Easy to Make - For Fish

| Private Reply
Make a beurre blanc with shallots or red onions , white wine, lemon or lime, tabasco or or salsa piquante and add some anchovy paste.
oops, I forgot the butter..The butter has to be whisked.

(This post was edited by Vichil on Jul 28, 2010, 11:00 AM)

gpkgto

Jul 28, 2010, 12:20 PM

Post #3 of 13 (20854 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] A Tasty White Sauce - Easy to Make - For Fish

| Private Reply
"tabasco"

How do I write OMG NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO en espaņol?

robt65

Jul 28, 2010, 12:34 PM

Post #4 of 13 (20848 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Hello Vichil,

Thanks you for your response. That sounds really good, except for the anchovy paste and Tabasco or salsa. I hope not to take away from the taste of the original fish I am going to sauce. Usually a mild fish. Have you ever made that sauce without these two ingredients? I also have to be careful of salt, so for sure the anchovy paste is out the window. When I get home, I am going to try that sauce without those two and I will let you know. It does sound like a really nice sauce.

Thanks Again.

Robt

Vichil

Jul 28, 2010, 1:26 PM

Post #5 of 13 (20839 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Hi

you put just a small amount of the anchovy paste and the strong anchovy flavor is totally neutralize by the butter. In France I put a pinch of piment d espelette (chili from the Basque country) that could be replaced by chili de arbol, cayenne and so forth, you start with a tiny amount taste it and adjust to your taste. It is a sauce not a liquid butter thingy so a lot of the flavors are toned down.

If your stove cannot be very low put your pan in a pan with hot water and cook it that way or the sauce will break up. Use icy cold butter and add a few pieces as a time as you whisk it.

Beurre blanc is a blanc canvas. You can put whichever herbs you like in the preparation before you add the butter and you will get that flavor, some people add mushrooms. I usually cook southern French food so we use stronger flavors than in the north and stay away from cheese and mushrooms in sauces.

If we want a very light sauce we add fennel as a spice.

White fish

We grill it with olive oil and smoke it with flaming dried fennel branches before removing it from the grill. Out of this world.

(This post was edited by Vichil on Jul 28, 2010, 4:25 PM)

Vichil

Jul 28, 2010, 1:30 PM

Post #6 of 13 (20838 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkgto] A Tasty White Sauce - Easy to Make - For Fish

| Private Reply
You can write whatever you want in whichever language, it is my recipe you do not have to like it or make it. I really donīt give a damn about your opinion.

Vichil

Jul 28, 2010, 1:40 PM

Post #7 of 13 (20836 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
A provencal way to make shrimp

saute them in a little olive oil garlic and lemon (we keep the shells on as they add taste but American do not like to eat them that way so shell them first, flame them with pastis, pernod or any anis liquor add a little heavy ream, when the sauce is done serve them with chopped fresh parsley or coriander with rice. Salt and peper to taste.

robt65

Jul 28, 2010, 2:01 PM

Post #8 of 13 (20831 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Hello Vichil,

Thanks for the response, both of them. Now with your explanation that is starting to sound a lot better to me. That makes sense. I asked about a mild sauce as I do not know how to make such a sauce and looked on here for some input from some who have more experience than I. That certainly does not mean that I have to agree with every gram of your recipe for my personal tastes. I mean that is how we come by so many different kinds or variations of a similar recipe isn't it? So turn down your fire a little and maybe try explaining more as you did in your second response and maybe someone can learn from your obvious prowess in the Cocina. I for one am grateful for your contribution. By the way (and seriously) which if the white wines would you suggest for the mild fish? Would any of the blushes work also (I am thinking here for color?). Can you also take a minute to explain to me what a good "Beurre blanc" would consist of? My limited french (as I remember) tells me that Beurre blanc would mean a butter that is white. Which leads to another question. To your taste, isn't Mexican butter a whole lot different tasting than say NOB butter or for that matter French butter? wouldn't that make a much different taste of the sauce? Probably the one made with the French butter would be superior, would it not?

By the way, it's also OK by me that (you) "I really donīt give a damn about your opinion." I also sometimes don't give a damn about my own opinion either, but I am entitled to it and the right to express it. I apologize if my opinion hurt your feelings, it was not intended to do so, simply asked a few questions on possible variations.

Thank you,
Robt

robt65

Jul 28, 2010, 2:05 PM

Post #9 of 13 (20830 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Hello Again Vichil,

Now this sounds like sometyhing that I might really enjoy! I have also cooked the shrimp with the shells (although separated but kept and cooked in the pan) for flavor. It really does make a difference to my taste.

Thanks Again Vichil
Robt

Vichil

Jul 28, 2010, 3:30 PM

Post #10 of 13 (20812 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
White wines and Roses

We usually like dry wines for every day, we usually drink red wine but if you like something lighter and cold we drink dry rose from Provence, from the Rhone valley , from Spain and from Morocco.

You can get a sweeter rose from France called Anjou Rose. Drink Blush if it is what you like. With butter sauce which is sweeter by nature we like to cut it with something drier and more acid so we usually drink dry wines.

There are many other choices but that some of the wines you can find.

On the white wines
If you like a little sweetness buy Vouvray from France or some of the German Riesling (Do not buy the ones that say trocken, they are the dry wines) The better German wines wil say Kabinett, or Auslese somewhere on the label. Sweeter than those will be Auslese, Beerenauslese and Trockenbeerenausle.

With butter sauce, a light chardonnay from anywhere will do, by light I mean the ones that are not aged in wood or have very little time in the barrel.
You can find some nice Chardonnay in California, France, Macon or Macon Lugny (no wood), Chablis (some with wood some witout) Pouilly Fuisse, mostly without wood some have wood many other choices, I am sure you have your favorite.

Sauvignon Blancs may be a little dry for that sauce but they will work You have some nice, inexpensive ones produced in Chile. .

Pinot Gris will be very nice too especially the ones from Oregon or Alsace (not Italy)

You have loads of other choices.

The Beurre Blanc sauce can be adjusted to whatever you like by changing the spices, it is the beauty of it bt remember that the butter will tone down whatever you put in, taste as you go.

Here is the basic recipe. It is not difficult but you must cook it in my made up double boiler whe you do it for the first time or the sauce will separate.

For 4

4 shallots roughly chopped up or sliced thinely , use red onion if you do not have shallots
6 tablespoon of dry white wine use the wine you will serve but nothing pink or sweet for my taste but you may like it.
3 tablespoon of white vinegar. The red works too but it add colors to the sauce.
7 oz of cold butter cut into 7 pieces or more up to 10 or 11 pieces

Put the shallots, white wine and vinegar in a saucepan and simmer at low heat until it reduces to 2 teaspoons. Do not get impatient, cook uncovered.
Boil water in a larger pan and put pan you have been cooking in the larger pan wit the boiling water or leave the smaller pan on a very low fire, (my stove here will not go that low so I use the bain Marie method.) and add the butter, one piece at a time whisking it in the wine, vinegar mixture, when the butter is light and foamy add one piece at a time and repeat, you can add whatever flavor you want at that time or before depending on what you want to add. . You can turn off the boiling water and keep the sauce warm that way.

My mother spent the war in Bordeaux and she makes a simpler southwest version of it which is delicious. Try it on white fish like sole, perch of the Nile etc. We used to love it as kid and we always have some when we go back:
For that ,you need:

1 tablespoon or more red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon or less water
a couple of thinly sliced shallots
2 oz cold butter

Bring to a boil 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar and one tablespoon of water and some thinly sliced shallots (very thin), if you like it stronger cut back on water and add vinegar .
Add up to 2 oz of cold butter whisking it under very low heat again or in a double boiler until the butter softened and is incorporated, this one is more like a butter vinegar , it will not thicken but it is delicious, pour on the fish and add chopped parsley or cilantro.

I love fish so I have an endless amount of way of preparing it it can go on and on....Have fun with making up your own flavors for the beurre blanc, the sky is the limit.

robt65

Jul 28, 2010, 4:07 PM

Post #11 of 13 (20800 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Hi again Vichil,

Thanks very much for the in depth lesson on wine and the Beurre Blanc sauce. That took a lot of work and I really appreciate that. It was kind of you to do for me.

I definately am going to put that information on my card index in the kitchen.

Robt

tashby

Jul 28, 2010, 4:15 PM

Post #12 of 13 (20796 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
THANK YOU for this!!!

esperanza

Jul 28, 2010, 4:23 PM

Post #13 of 13 (20792 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
This has been very interesting--and thank you, Vichil--but it really has nothing to do with the Mexican kitchen, other than that you could make the white sauce in Mexico. So...click.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4