Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

gpkgto

Jul 24, 2010, 11:32 AM

Post #1 of 63 (23024 views)

Shortcut

Mexican cuisine declared a Cultural Heritage of Humanity

Can't Post | Private Reply
The subject above is a bad translation, but according to yesterday's newspaper, UNESCO has chosen Mexican cuisine as the first world cuisine to be declared a World Cultural Heritage ("Patrimonio Cultural Inmaterial de la Humanidad").

Many of us already knew that Mexican food is the best!!

PS--Please don't move this to Kitchen Forum!!!

(This post was edited by gpkgto on Jul 24, 2010, 11:33 AM)

Gringal

Jul 24, 2010, 12:21 PM

Post #2 of 63 (23000 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkgto] Mexican cuisine declared a Cultural Heritage of Humanity

That would put a few French and Italians into a tizzy, I would think. Not to mention all the great Asian food.

chinagringo

Jul 24, 2010, 12:38 PM

Post #3 of 63 (22993 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Mexican cuisine declared a Cultural Heritage of Humanity

Went looking for a press release or something from UNESCO on this but NADA! However, the following article might provide some insight into the French:
http://www.parislogue.com/...heritage-worthy.html
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

yTABDGdW

Jul 24, 2010, 12:56 PM

Post #4 of 63 (22988 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Mexican cuisine declared a Cultural Heritage of Humanity

Surely Dawg was not on the committee.

robt65

Jul 24, 2010, 1:07 PM

Post #5 of 63 (22980 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Memo] Mexican cuisine declared a Cultural Heritage of Humanity

"Surely Dawg was not on the committee."

My first out loud laugh of the day!

Robt65

La Isla

Jul 24, 2010, 1:19 PM

Post #6 of 63 (22976 views)

Shortcut

Which newspaper did you see this in?

gpkgto

Jul 24, 2010, 2:58 PM

Post #7 of 63 (22954 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Mexican cuisine declared a Cultural Heritage of Humanity

It was in Reforma, and it said the official announcement will be made in August. Also, it mentioned that several other "cuisines" were currently applying--and probably would also qualify--but a Mexican group got there first ("Conservatorio de la Cultura Gastronomica Mexicana"). The other "cuisines" that may also be included are those of France, Peru, Croatia, Korea, and "Mediterranean" (Italy, Greece, Spain and Morrocco combined).

Vichil

Jul 24, 2010, 4:15 PM

Post #8 of 63 (22935 views)

Shortcut

I would think that any country would qualify as all countries´ cuisines represent their cultural heritage. The Mediterranean group is also a joke, what does Italian food have to do with the cuisines of North Africa or Spain, etc.; they all have influenced each other but they are distinct and represent all the historical invasions , neighbors and alliances. Each country on Earth could be and should be included in this list. It does not say anything about the quality of the food just that is is a Cultural Heritage....funny we have to make a list to figure this one out.

There is no black and white style of cuisines but a lot of grey around each country, it is very obvious when travelling in Europe or in Asia or in Mexico where new ingredients are introduced and some others dropped as you get near a border.
In France, the Eastern part of the country has a Germanic style cuisine , Provence has a strong Italian influence and the Southwest has Spanish influences. Italy has Germanic and French influence in the North and so on. Many Italian chefs during the Renaissance were imported in France and many French chefs in the eighteen century were Exported to various Eastern European courts.

San Cristobal de las Casas´ regional specialty of Sopa de Pan is right out of Spain and so on.

(This post was edited by Vichil on Jul 24, 2010, 7:43 PM)

Peter

Jul 24, 2010, 6:23 PM

Post #9 of 63 (22908 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Mexican cuisine declared a Cultural Heritage of Humanity

In Reply To
That would put a few French and Italians into a tizzy, I would think. Not to mention all the great Asian food.

I have to agree with UNESCO, Mexican food is king. That the UN is American it rightly disregards US's worldwide food dominance. What countries do not have a McDonalds or Burger King? Mexican food offers great restaurant choices for either a sit-down meal, take-out, and drive-thru. Taco Bell's choices alone include such Mexican standards as tacos, burritos, chalupas, enchurittos, the bell burger, and refried beans. Included are the chain drive-thrus as Del-Taco and Green Burrito. Also there are many, many independent burrito and taco stands. After hamburger joints Mexican cuisine is the undisputed leader.

Italians might have a legitimate cause to gripe considering the popularity of pizza, spaghetti, lasagne, and the many pasta dishes but they must resign themselves from consideration as there are practically no Italian fast-food drive-thru chains anywhere. Even Germany is represented by Der Weinerschnitzel but for Italy, zip.

You have a good point in mentioning Asian food, there are many Chinese take-out restaurants and some even equipped with drive-thru windows, but there are no large chains and the food items are largely indistinguisable place-to-place being just a different combination of chopped veggies with various meats. The only variation is to drown the food in coconut milk and call it Thai. Some extra credit, however, should be extended to Japan who have successfully marketed and made popular raw fish wrapped in seaweed with white rice.

I don't have the faintest idea why France should be ruffled. While their toast is a household staple and their fried potatoes accompany a great percentage of the world's hamburgers I have seen very few French restaurants and don't recall having ever visited one - they would have to do a helluva marketing job to make snails seem appealing. French drive-thru restaurants do not exist at all. Other than their potatoes and toast what if anything have the French contributed to the art of cooking?

yTABDGdW

Jul 24, 2010, 7:02 PM

Post #10 of 63 (22895 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Mexican cuisine declared a Cultural Heritage of Humanity

Peter, youre judging worthiness based on whether or not they have drive through/fast food chains????

(This post was edited by Memo on Jul 24, 2010, 7:04 PM)

Peter

Jul 24, 2010, 7:18 PM

Post #11 of 63 (22885 views)

Shortcut

By what other criterion should one measure cultural heritage of humanity in pop culture dominated 21st century? I couldn't find another value system whereby they might have arrived at that selection. I do, however, find Mexican food to be among the tastiest in the world, especially as it is prepared in California.

Hound Dog

Jul 24, 2010, 8:21 PM

Post #12 of 63 (22871 views)

Shortcut

It seems, based upon a lack of any reference to some UNESCO "cultural heritage" award for Mexican food on the internet, that gpkgto´s post was a hoax or, at the very least, misleading so I have removed my comment regarding the ludicrous notion that UNESCO is ranking various cuisines as worthy of "cultural heritage treasure" designations until I can determine if there is any such endeavor seriously underway at UNESCO. Perhaps gpkgto can enlighten us as to his/her specific source after which I may have a comment.

Meanwhile, however, I leave in my comment addressed to Peter in response to his little unsubtle parody above:

I would agree with you that the level of sophistication of a society can be gauged by the availability of drive up windows so, based on that criterion alone, I nominate my home state of Alabama as the "Cultural Heritage" capital of the Universe. Where else can you get a dozen Krystal Sliders with cheese to go with those ice cold Pabst Blue Ribbon beers you bought up at Billy Bob´s Roadhouse and Billard Parlour out on Farm Road 35 just over the county line when you are only 16 years old without ever having to get out of your 1958 Chevy Impala and leaving skid marks at the drive up window as you peel out thereby impressing the hell out of ole Betty Sue Johnson.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Jul 24, 2010, 10:23 PM)

robt65

Jul 24, 2010, 8:38 PM

Post #13 of 63 (22862 views)

Shortcut

Hi Peter,

. . . . . . and you said: "Italians might have a legitimate cause to gripe considering the popularity of pizza, spaghetti, lasagne, and the many pasta dishes but they must resign themselves from consideration as there are practically no Italian fast-food drive-thru chains anywhere." It is a good thing that you threw that qualifier in there. That portion of the above statement underlined saved your keester! (smiling) I know that headquartered in Kentucky, we have an Italian Fast Food Chain called Fazoli's . . . . I have to say for a fast food chain (240 places in 26 different states) trying to sell Italiano Food, they aren't half bad! They even have a drive through window. http://fazolis.com/menu/

It really is fairly decent Italian food. The only bad part is trying to eat that pasta doing 80mph down Hwy 75! LOL It's hell on shirts and ties!

robt65

yucatandreamer

Jul 24, 2010, 8:42 PM

Post #14 of 63 (22861 views)

Shortcut

I am pretty sure that Peter has his tongue firmly in his cheek. I thought his post was one of the funniest I have read in long time.

robt65

Jul 24, 2010, 8:56 PM

Post #15 of 63 (22859 views)

Shortcut

I sure do love watching Peter fishin all you guys in . . . . . . . hook . . . line . . . . . and sinker!

robt65

Anonimo

Jul 25, 2010, 7:44 AM

Post #16 of 63 (22818 views)

Shortcut

It's nice of UNESCO to recognize Mexican Cuisine, but it's irrelevant. Mexican cuisine can stand (or fall) on its own merits or demerits, with or without recognition.

Saying "Mexican Cuisine" is a generalization, like saying "Chinese" or "Italian cuisine", as there are so many regional variations in all three nations.

What's really important is that whoever prepares Mexican foods is skilled and knowledgeable, with access to good, fresh ingredients. I've had some truly ghastly meals here SOB as well as sublime ones.

Buen provecho,
Anonimo

gpkgto

Jul 25, 2010, 12:52 PM

Post #17 of 63 (22775 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Mexican cuisine declared a Cultural Heritage of Humanity

It was in Reforma--formal announcement in August. I have neither the time nor inclination to post a hoax.

chinagringo

Jul 25, 2010, 1:10 PM

Post #18 of 63 (22768 views)

Shortcut

In defense of "gpkgto", yesterday when doing a bit of research, I did find one article from 2005, when apparently this idea was first put forth:

http://www.popmatters.com/...ns/cruz/050112.shtml
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

gpkgto

Jul 25, 2010, 4:58 PM

Post #19 of 63 (22732 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Mexican cuisine declared a Cultural Heritage of Humanity

Attached is a scan of the Reforma article.
Attachments: Reforma 25 July.jpg (87.9 KB)

Hound Dog

Jul 25, 2010, 8:04 PM

Post #20 of 63 (22696 views)

Shortcut

It was in Reforma--formal announcement in August. I have neither the time nor inclination to post a hoax.

I was not referring to you gpkgto but was curious as to whether the news source was valid. Perhaps my use the word "hoax" was unfortunate and I apologize if I offended you. Thanks for identifying the source as Reforma. Now I can read the source material which interests me.

Hound Dog

Jul 25, 2010, 9:38 PM

Post #21 of 63 (22686 views)

Shortcut

The subject above is a bad translation, but according to yesterday's newspaper, UNESCO has chosen Mexican cuisine as the first world cuisine to be declared a World Cultural Heritage ("Patrimonio Cultural Inmaterial de la Humanidad").

Many of us already knew that Mexican food is the best!!

Now that gpkgto (the OP) has provided us with his/her source for the above posting, a short inside filler article in Mexico City´s REFORMA, Dawg can respond to the post. To put it concisely, REFORMA informs us that the application to UNESCO by the Mexican organization, the Conservatorio de la Cultura Gastronómica Mexicana (CCGM) to approve Mexican cuisine as a distinct national cuisine based on cultural and historical phenomena was the first of many anticipated applications to meet the UNESCO criteria for inclusion in a proposed list of national and/or regional cuisines UNESCO is developing. In addition to the Mexican application,now approved, UNESCO has applications from France, Peru, Croatia and the countries of Spain, Italy, Greece and Morocco applying under a rather nebulous designation as a "Mediterranean diet". It is important to make the distinction that the CCGM was the first application appoved, not an application approved designating Mexican food as a first among lesser foods on UNESCO´s list. I suppose the OP was making a light hearted jest that the UNESCO approval of the CCGM application somehow confirmed what, "Many of us already knew (that) Mexican food is the best." (among a list of lesser cuisines). Of the five applications presented so far according to REFORMA, Mexico would be lucky to come in no better than #4 by most standards in terms of historical or present importance or degree of sophistication in the world at large but, what the hell - to each his own.

Justin

Jul 26, 2010, 3:29 AM

Post #22 of 63 (22666 views)

Shortcut

Hi Folks

It's great news for the Mexican people all over the world.I too fond of many mexican dishes when i was in Miami .I think there are other country dishes (especially in European countries) which are also as good as Mexican.I hope UNESCO can throw their light on those?

Peter

Jul 26, 2010, 5:47 AM

Post #23 of 63 (22658 views)

Shortcut

Of the five applications presented so far according to REFORMA, Mexico would be lucky to come in no better than #4 by most standards in terms of historical or present importance or degree of sophistication in the world at large...

I believe I have already put forth a cogent argument to support Mexican cuisine occupying at least a #2 position of importance as well as that same ranking of sophistication when considering fast-food technology.

gpkgto

Jul 26, 2010, 5:57 AM

Post #24 of 63 (22655 views)

Shortcut

The article was on the front page of Reforma.

Peter

Jul 26, 2010, 6:32 AM

Post #25 of 63 (22647 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Mexican cuisine declared a Cultural Heritage of Humanity

The only bad part is trying to eat that pasta doing 80mph down Hwy 75! LOL It's hell on shirts and ties!

I was not aware of that Italian fast-food chain. I guess they did not exist in my region of California. I am estimating that three out of five times while taking that first bite of a Taco Bell taco the shell shatters and completely releases the taco's content onto your shirt front. They are a helluva mess even while parked. The Taco Supreme provides for a supreme mess by including additional ingredients of tomatoes, sour cream, and extra salsas to spot your tie.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4