Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

tashby

Jul 23, 2010, 9:39 AM

Post #1 of 6 (7649 views)

Shortcut

Arañas Capulinas?

Can't Post | Private Reply
We found a couple of spiders yesterday that looked very much like what we call Black Widow spiders in English. They are no longer among the living. I showed them to our housekeeper today and she said that yes, they're peligrosa. If my ear was working at all this morning, I think she called the "Arañas Capulinas"?

Is that what someone in Jalisco might call a black widow spider?

Rolly

Jul 23, 2010, 10:17 AM

Post #2 of 6 (7646 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Arañas Capulinas?

The Arañas Capulinas has the scientific name Latrodectus hesperus.
The common Black Widow is Latrodectus Mactans.
The differences is of interest only to an entomologist.
There is no difference in their deadliness.

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Jul 23, 2010, 1:48 PM)

tashby

Jul 23, 2010, 11:33 AM

Post #3 of 6 (7636 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Arañas Capulinas?

There is no difference in their deadliness.

Super!

Below is a link to info on these little buggies. Not quite as deadly as our nightmares would have us believe, but not something to mess around with for sure. This is about the 5th or 6th we've seen around the house. See the webs all the time. For anyone who doesn't know, the webs are pretty easy to identify. They're not the elegant, 2-dimensional kind....they're kind of messy and 3-dimensional, sort of like a gob of cotton candy. Also sticky. Thanks for the info, Rolly.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/26346

Peter

Jul 23, 2010, 12:33 PM

Post #4 of 6 (7625 views)

Shortcut

When you encounter spider webs, not much of a "web" actually, and they feel like you could use them for fishing line, watch out!

I've known just a couple people that have been bitten by them, the bite leaves behind a big knot. One friend was bitten on the finger and his knuckle is like double-sized. It has been that way for many years. I've only encountered one here in Mexico around my house. They were very plentiful in Apple Valley in the high-desert where I lived. Usually didn't enter the house but hung out in the bushes outside it. It is scary to reach into someplace and have your hand encounter one of those high-tension webs.

esperanza

Jul 26, 2010, 3:56 PM

Post #5 of 6 (7575 views)

Shortcut

Remember when we went outside on the street and looked at your light fixture? Capulinas.

We see them fairly frequently outside, but have never had one in the house. One ran across Judy's hand one night as she flicked off the light switch at the street door; it had made its house behind the switch plate. The following morning, she met her maker. Not Judy, the capulina.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

tashby

Jul 26, 2010, 5:32 PM

Post #6 of 6 (7561 views)

Shortcut

Yes and yes, to Peter and Esperanza.

Peter, they were exactly as you described. Just outside the house in some bushes. We got lucky and spotted them from inside the house through a window.

And yes, Esperanza. A previous Spanish teacher of mine (Joel!) taught me how to identify the webs upon finding one, an active one at that, underneath a plastic table during class. Like I said....I see the webs all the time at our house now.....which you confirmed on that day at the streetlight.

Other places I've seen them are around the gas tank, wood pile, exterior door hinges (cochera and front gate), wherever windows meet exterior walls, etc. It seems they like to work the gaps.

I had just never heard the word Capulinas before, and wanted to confirm that they are indeed the enemy, since I've killed about 5 or 6 and may have to go on patrol soon. Gloves on! Thanks all.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4