Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Maritsa

Jul 20, 2010, 10:39 AM

Post #1 of 16 (14148 views)

Shortcut

Visiting Comitan

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am hoping to go to Comitan and Motozintla in November to visit my boyfriend who returned to Mexico last November. I have been watcing the news and trying to decide the best and safest way to do this. I have no intentions of driving my bright yellow pick up truck with NC plates into Mexico alone. I am thinking of taking a bus from South Carolina or Georgia (there is a Mexican line that some of the muchachos have taken back to mexico). However, I am wondering how safe this is, considering the violence that has been reported lately. Would I be better off to fly into the DF and then go to Chiapas by bus or another flight to Comitan or Tapachula?

Any advice about travel and conditions right now would be appreciated.

RickS

Jul 20, 2010, 1:54 PM

Post #2 of 16 (14113 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maritsa] Visiting Comitan

I don't know that anyone can give you a definitive answer to your question but, if safety is your ultimate concern, I can't imagine a safer way to get from South Carolina to Comitan than flying. I've not heard of any airplanes getting hijacked nor shot down (in Mexico, that is)!

(This post was edited by RickS on Jul 20, 2010, 2:01 PM)

Hound Dog

Jul 20, 2010, 1:58 PM

Post #3 of 16 (14110 views)

Shortcut

If you are flying

If your friend is in Motozintla it may be easier for him to pick you up in Tapachula, you need to ask him. If he is in Comitan, it would be nice if he could pick you up in Tuxtla Gutierrez.

From Tuxtla you can go to Motozintla or Comitan via the Cristobal Columbus bus line or get a combi.

The Tuxtla bus station is a taxi ride from the airport. I think it is around 200 pesos now. They were talking about combis but I do not know if they exist.

The taxi can take you to a combi terminal that goes to Comitan I am not sure about Motozintla but once in Comitan change to a Motozintla combi.

If you are taking a bus you have more options but it is a tough trip. Be aware the cheap lines are more dangerous as they only have one driver on the overnights and the drivers have been known to fall asleep at the wheel. They are also more prone to break downs etc..

If I were you , I would fly to Mexico City and if you wanted to save a little money take a bus to Comitan. You can see the schedule and price on the web site of the bus line. All buses going down there belong to the same company. The cheapest line is Cristobal Colon (I do not recommend on overnight trip as it is the leat comfortable and the most crowded.)
Then you have ADO, ADO GL, ADO Platinum. ADO PLatinum is the most comfortable with 3 seats accross, big reclining chair and leg support. It is the only one I can sleep on as my legs are too short to reach the foot support of the other buses. The pice is half of the plane fare. Check ticketbus.com.mx. The buses for Tuxtla, San Cristobal, Comitan, Motozintla leave in the late afternoon and take 20 hours to San Cristobal so add 2 hours for Comitan. If you cannot get the Comitan bus go to San Cristobal and take a bus (Cristobal Colon) or a combi to Comitan or Motozintla. The last tine I took the combi to Comitan it was around 40 psos. The bst combis are in the station catty corner from the bus station in a station that has a blue wall but there are lots of other combi companies. They are all bout the same price so I recommend the most comfortable. The bus makes sense if you have luggage , if the schedule maks snse, othr wis, cross the boulevard and Prol.Insurgentes and take the bigger van at the blue wall. Go in buy your ticket, they lave as soon as it is full and it fills up quickly.

Only put in your wallet the money you will ned on the buses and make yourself a little fabric bag for credit cards and the rest of the money. The buses have ben known to have been attacked between Choapas and Tuxtla. I have commuted that DF San Cristobal for a year and never had any problems but better safe than sorry so that is what I do, it is a very lonely road at night..

Bussing it the whole way is cheaper but it is a very long way and you will be dead when you get there, it probably would be a 2 or 3 nights on the bus from Georgia: that is a killer. If you still want to take a bus I recommend that you break your trip and spend one night in Mexico City . If you want recommendations on hotels there let me know.

It all depends what you want: the safest is flying no question, it also aloows you more time there if you have a time costraint.. The cheapest is by bus.

Good luck
Brigitte

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Jul 20, 2010, 2:04 PM)

Hound Dog

Jul 20, 2010, 3:18 PM

Post #4 of 16 (14092 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Visiting Comitan

There goes my darlin´wife posting under my name again but I forgive her. If I were you I would find a way to get to Houston by either flying or taking a bus and, fly on that new non-stop from Houston to Tuxtla Gutierrez (this is a new flight which I believe is Continental but I´m not sure. It flies three times a week). From Tuxtla you take the bus to Motozintla which stops in Comitan on the way to Motozintla. That´s the bus we have taken to San Cristóbal from Tuxtla and it is a nice bus - not a chicken bus. The bus ride from Tuxtla to Comitan is completely safe and will take you about three to four hours over excellent roads. I would not go to Tapachula and try to get from there to Comitan via Motozintla. That is a beautiful ride but over winding mountain roads and will take you many hours vs. the excellent Tuxtla-Comitan road.

By taking the new Houston-Tuxtla non-stop flight you don´t have the hassle of connectiing in Mexico City.

Comitan is a pleasant and attractive town with a fine climate at about 4,000 feet. Have a nice trip.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Jul 20, 2010, 3:21 PM)

celia19O5

Jul 21, 2010, 10:00 PM

Post #5 of 16 (14020 views)

Shortcut

I have never gone there but I hear that it is very beautiful and wonderful there. Wish you have a nice travel :)

Maritsa

Jul 22, 2010, 8:54 AM

Post #6 of 16 (13984 views)

Shortcut

Thanks to both of you for your great advice. The direct flight from Houston sounds like a good idea. I really didn't want to fly into the DF if I can do it another way. Italk to Timo every Saturday and he tells me how nice Comitan is. He and his nephew are trying to start a business, and he has some property that he is trying to sell so he can buy a house.

I don't think it will be possible for me to stay there to live, but I am hoping to spend 3 or 4 months this winter, as I did in 2006-07. Too bad I was so frivolous (sp?) in my younger days and have no retirement now, so I am still working and flying by the seat of my pants, so to speak.

Thanks again.
Maritsa

Hound Dog

Jul 22, 2010, 11:16 AM

Post #7 of 16 (13960 views)

Shortcut

Comitan in the winter is really nice , the Lakes of Montebello and the forest around them is wonderful, the falls of El Chifflon are also a wonderful place. I am sure you will really enjoy Comitan. The area around Motozintla is beautiful and you are not too far from the entrance of EL Triunfo reserve. Many places to explore. Comitan is an attractive colonial toen that has a lot going for it, I am sure you will enjoy it.
My husband(hound dog) is slightly mistaken about the non stop flights to Tuxtla some airlines advertise direct flights but they all stop in DF no getting out of it, some of them are on the same airline and you have to change plane some .
There used to be an airline that would not go through DF but no more...

oops I used Hound dog handle byt mistake!
Vichil

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Jul 22, 2010, 11:18 AM)

robt65

Jul 22, 2010, 2:07 PM

Post #8 of 16 (13938 views)

Shortcut

Hi Maritsa,

I can't even imagine a bus ride all the way from S. C. to Comitan. I can only share with you my Greyhound ride about 5 months ago from Lexington, KY to Brownsville, TX., to retrieve our Little yellow VW Beetle. It was the ride from HELL! 29 hours of pain in places I forgot I had places and smelly and dirty bus stations at the most ungodly hours of arrival and departures. Some of the crazies that rode that bus should have been put away! I thought I would save almost $1000 dollars by taking the us and they had a military veterans discount too! All I can say is that paying for pain is not my gig! (smiling)
When I spotted our little yellow bug, I ran and kissed it!

Do yourself and your boyfriend a very big favor. . . . . DO NOT TAKE THE BUS! Your relationship will not survive! Gawd . . . . . . it's gotta be love for sure! (smiling) And that was only to Brownsville. The buses in Mexico are so much better in comfort that's for sure. Especially the ADO Platinum. Now that is traveling in relative comfort. So FLY > > > FLY > > > > FLY!

Robt65

nob2sob

Jul 22, 2010, 2:26 PM

Post #9 of 16 (13934 views)

Shortcut

I returned a couple of months ago from SCC and we took a non-stop from Houston to Tuxtla Gutierrez w/ Continental airlines. I just checked and they are still showing a non-stop flight out of Houston. It appears that the flights are only on Thursday and Sunday.

If anyone is interested Continental is showing RT airfare from Denver to TGZ for only $378 in Sept, guess we will be booking another trip!

Vichil

Jul 22, 2010, 6:32 PM

Post #10 of 16 (13907 views)

Shortcut

Re: [nob2sob] Visiting Comitan

I am happy to hear my husband was right, that´right he said there were 3 days a week but that is wonderful, the only way to go for Maritsa if the price is reasonable. How much was your flight?

nob2sob

Jul 23, 2010, 10:31 AM

Post #11 of 16 (13871 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] Visiting Comitan

Age. Why do I remember all those embarrassing moments like it was yesterday but I can't remember what I paid for a flight from Denver to Tuxtla a few months ago? I do know that it was under $500. I just booked a Continental flight next month for almost $500 on the nose. Hope that helps.

Vichil

Jul 23, 2010, 1:34 PM

Post #12 of 16 (13853 views)

Shortcut

That is a great price if your memory is correct! Was it a return or one way only? The bus from the border to Tuxtla is around 3000 pesos one way. From the border not from Houston. I get the 50% discount on the bus so it is reasonable but otherwise even the bus (luxury) is not cheap.

nob2sob

Jul 23, 2010, 2:00 PM

Post #13 of 16 (13847 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] Visiting Comitan

The price was for a round trip and if I had my way it would of been one way! Luckily we will be living SOB in three months so my partner will no longer have to drag me back onto the plane to head north. I don't mind the bus but that is a long ride up to the border. I was able to find these fares by having Continental e-mail their sales.

hack

Aug 12, 2010, 9:04 PM

Post #14 of 16 (13423 views)

Shortcut

There's been no introductory seat sale on that Houston/Tuxtla route, no? The cheapest way, if cost is a major factor, might be to fly into Guatemala City on Spirit Air (connect through Ft. Lauderdale), if Spirit flies from your town, and to get a bus from there. Guat City's got that dicey rep, but getting to the bus station from the airport isn't difficult, and I think the rep's more of a nighttime/carjacking thing than a daytime/public transportation one. I think a bus from there to San Cristobal drops you off in Comitan, if I'm not mistaken. Certainly a much longer bus ride than from Tuxtla though.

Vichil

Aug 13, 2010, 8:49 AM

Post #15 of 16 (13389 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hack] Visiting Comitan

Guatemala City is a long and uncomfortable bus drive to Comitan . There are much more assaults in Guatemala than in Chiapas (the reputation is well deserved and getting worst) This said many people travel back and forth.
Many of the faster and more comfortable tourist vans leave from Antigua and Pana . I do not know about the airports as we take cabs around there.You can go from San Cristobal to Antigua for 450 pesos , less if you take the combi route.

joannar

Aug 18, 2010, 7:40 PM

Post #16 of 16 (13231 views)

Shortcut

Took a bus from Maryland to Chiapas in 1997, and have been here ever since! Don´t do it unless you plan on staying forever! There are direct flights from Tuxtla to Monterrey now for 700 pesos, so if you can get to Monterrey easier, that may be an option. Tuxtla is about 2.5 hours from Comitan.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4