Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

chinagringo

Jul 20, 2010, 2:21 PM

Post #26 of 42 (4808 views)

Shortcut

Re: [oringo] Gringo ghetto?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Obviously, I certainly have no problem with the word, Gringo or its use!

As to the Ghetto connection: the word does have a certain connotation and could be replaced with slum, hood, jungle, turf, bowery, zoo, barrio, project (all negative) OR on a more positive and politically correct note: neighborhood, enclave community, balliwick, district, suburb (more positive).

Since we have been visiting the North Shore of Lake Chapala since before 2000, that is the only area I can comment on. Going back over ten years allows one to step back and observe the changes in the area. In recent history anyway, Ajijic has enjoyed the reputation as being a place where artists, writers and such congregated. Along with this group came along some foreigners, who enjoyed the company of such. Formal developments were far fewer and out of necessity, most catered to a mix of foreigners and Mexicans. In the ensuing period, construction of new developments has exploded and a very high percentage of them attracted the foreign buyer. While Ajijic certainly has its share of Mexican residents or home owners, in my estimation the concentration of foreigners has multiplied dramatically with a high percentage living in all of the developments surrounding Ajijic. To grasp a "snapshot" of the differing concentrations on the North Shore, all one has to do is compare just who are the typical customers in the restaurants, stores, markets or the tianguis in Ajijic versus the same in Chapala.

So we must accept that there is an abnormal concentration of foreigners in the Ajijic area. So if Gringo is accepted as a definition for foreigner, then what descriptor is added to it to describe the "hood"? Ghetto works but so do all of the other terms identified above. What the heck - if we cannot laugh at ourselves, then life isn't much fun!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

robt65

Jul 20, 2010, 2:36 PM

Post #27 of 42 (4800 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] Gringo ghetto?

"Actualy the latest are the "Regions which are more like the old provinces" and anything that is not in Paris or its banlieu is considered "en province" known as the boonies by the Parisians."

Don't let Hound Dog see that one! (smiling)

Robt65

Hound Dog

Jul 20, 2010, 2:45 PM

Post #28 of 42 (4798 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Gringo ghetto?

As to the Ghetto connection: the word does have a certain connotation and could be replaced with slum, hood, jungle, turf, bowery, zoo, barrio, project (all negative)

"Barrio" is not a negative . Barrio means neighborhood and nothing more. It is in the United States that that word has been given a negative connotation because of fear of largely Latino neighborhoods among some other segments of the population.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Jul 20, 2010, 2:45 PM)

Gringal

Jul 20, 2010, 2:49 PM

Post #29 of 42 (4785 views)

Shortcut

Amen and halelluia, CG. IMO, people take a lot of this much too seriously. We should, and do, have bigger issues these days, as well documented in other threads recently.

I suppose we could use "Gringo enclave" as a kinder, gentler, nomenclature, but in fact, most of the Village neighborhoods, and most of the other Lakeside towns/villages have some expats and some Mexicans, mixed thoroughly. The "enclave" concept could more correctly be applied to some of the newer communities, gated and otherwise, which are primarily occupied by expats.

Some of this reminds me of the hilarious pieces on "the gangs of San Miguel", with each type labeled and joked about.

Maybe someone with the proper degree of levity could do one on "the gangs of expats" in general. We could start with the "native costume" gang and go on to the "shorts and sport shoes anywhere" gang and the "border promotion gang".........

robt65

Jul 20, 2010, 2:54 PM

Post #30 of 42 (4780 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Gringo ghetto?

Hey Gringal,

You go girl! . . . . Bang on!

robt65

chinagringo

Jul 20, 2010, 2:54 PM

Post #31 of 42 (4780 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Gringo ghetto?

Dawg:

I believe that the word Ghetto originated in Venice and then moved on to other foreign (non-Mexican) countries, so when linking it to the term Barrio, it would be the foreign meaning/connotation that is useful. I fully realize that it has a far different meaning in Spanish and in Mexico!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

chinagringo

Jul 20, 2010, 3:03 PM

Post #32 of 42 (4777 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Gringo ghetto?

And this comment coming from someone recently banned on TOB! Congratulations by the way!

And are you forgetting that greater Ajijic is the location of: "The Premier Gated Community"? Are non-Gringos even allowed to own property there?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

tashby

Jul 20, 2010, 3:08 PM

Post #33 of 42 (4775 views)

Shortcut

One thing is certain. Gringos never get tired of talking about.......gringos.

Gringal

Jul 20, 2010, 3:12 PM

Post #34 of 42 (4772 views)

Shortcut

Hey there........I wasn't really banned..........it's just a technical glitch......but it did give me a bad computer day. ("oh me oh my, what have I done???" They've actually been very helpful about getting it fixed.

About that "Premier Gated Community" (caps per tradition): you couldn't pay me to live there, but that's probably the nicest place that fella ever lived, so I give him some slack about it. Gimme the Village Ghetto, however. Walking to everything.....with no parking hassles. Yess!

(This post was edited by Gringal on Jul 20, 2010, 3:16 PM)

chinagringo

Jul 20, 2010, 4:02 PM

Post #35 of 42 (4754 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Gringo ghetto?

'One thing is certain. Gringos never get tired of talking about.......gringos."

And what would you expect when Gringos make posts such as the following on a public MX forum?
"If there is a law in Mexico City against fireworks when people are sleeping, I wonder how that law came about. I know many Mexican people (mostly women) who also hate them. Maybe we should get a petition going"
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

tashby

Jul 20, 2010, 4:31 PM

Post #36 of 42 (4748 views)

Shortcut

Sorry, Neil. I was just responding to the thread in general, not you specifically. Don't know what the quote about fireworks from some other forum has to do with much other than, "Maybe we should start a petition" is priceless. So thanks for the laugh.

chinagringo

Jul 20, 2010, 4:38 PM

Post #37 of 42 (4744 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Gringo ghetto?

Just an example of a Gringo forgetting where they are and behaving in a questionable manner!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

wendy devlin

Jul 20, 2010, 5:02 PM

Post #38 of 42 (4736 views)

Shortcut

This thread just begs for my inaccurate take(no time to look up the actual) quote by Betty Davis:

"Call me, anything, you like. But, just call me!"

Relationship. One word, with a big old wide world of meaning.

DavidHF

Jul 20, 2010, 6:11 PM

Post #39 of 42 (4722 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] Gringo ghetto?

Call me anything but late for dinner!

YucaLandia

Jul 21, 2010, 9:11 AM

Post #40 of 42 (4649 views)

Shortcut

When did self-deprecation go out of style?

Just as my Polack in-laws tell decades of more (really good) Polack jokes than anyone else I've known, just like African Americans call each other the so-called "n-word", just like our Jewish friends love to tell JAP jokes, how is referring to ourselves now as Yucogringos, or Gringals, etc so different and unacceptable?

When an old jewish friend of mine refers to himself as a "viejo Yucogringo" with a twinkle in his eye with locals (particularly Maya), they crack up with laughter - as he continues to regale them with funny tales, and as he probes around (trolls) for their experiences and opinions.
-
p.s. Our Mexican family and friends find "YucaLandia" just as silly as "ChickyLandia" et al: a good spoof using nonsense words.
-
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Jul 21, 2010, 9:15 AM)

Hound Dog

Jul 21, 2010, 11:09 AM

Post #41 of 42 (4618 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Gringo ghetto?

Well, Yucalandia. We ole Alabama boys call ourselves and our good friends "redneck" but only among friends and close family, never in front of auslanders unless, of course we are shining one of them on as Senator Sam Ervin used to do when he referred to himself often in public in a heavy drawl (disguising a brilliant mind) as "...just an ole country lawyer from Nawth Cahlina" but that was gamesmanship. The same sort of gamesmanship I used as a national bank examiner and, later, commercial loan quality control consultant in the San Francisco Bay Area. Those effete snob bankers in the Bay Area never took the fat redneck attired in the shiny lime green suit and light brown brogans and speaking with a heavy southern accent very seriously when I opened my pie hole to remark as to the marginal quality of their commercial loan portfolios and then, after they were caught off guard, IŽd whack they ass.

Reminds me of when we moved to San Francisco from Mobile and, while at a Barclays Bank high falutin cocktail party at an exclusive menŽs club (in those days) on Nob Hill, a smart-assed San Francisco banker asked my wife where she was from before moving to the Bay Area and she replied, "Paris originally but most recently I lived in Mobile.". The banker responded, "Mobile! Mobile, Alabama? How could you live there. The place is full of rednecks.", to which my wife replied in turn, " Tell me, I married one."

Drumroll and Rimshot

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Jul 21, 2010, 11:13 AM)

robt65

Jul 21, 2010, 5:29 PM

Post #42 of 42 (4551 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] Gringo ghetto?

Hi Wendy,

Your showing your youth! (smiling) I think that both of these were originally quotes or take offs of quotes from Mae West! Weren't they?

Robt65
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4