Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

robt65

Jul 18, 2010, 5:03 PM

Post #1 of 13 (26631 views)

Shortcut

Guacamole - So Many Different Ones - Different and Yet Similar

Can't Post | Private Reply
Anyone want to share their Guacamole recipes? I am amazed at the number of different tasting (yet (of course) with a similar base taste of Guacamole there is in Mexico. not only does there appear to be (possibly) some regional recipes, but for sure probably hundreds of different family recipes as well. It is almost like India and the differernt number and tastes of Curry.

Neil says Kathy has one of the best around! Of course he would say that, or he probably wouldn't get anymore! (smiling)
Neil, can we talk you and Kathy into sharing her "well refined Guacamole recipe" with us. Hope some others will also.

By the way, is there really a difference between the green and the black avocado? Is there a difference in taste? Is one better for Guacamole and another for eating whole?

Thanks,
Robt65

(This post was edited by robt65 on Jul 18, 2010, 5:09 PM)

chinagringo

Jul 18, 2010, 5:30 PM

Post #2 of 13 (26619 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Guacamole - So Many Different Ones - Different and Yet Similar

I will see what I can do to get her to reveal her recipe. Keep in mind that guacamole is a personal taste thing, much like other recipes. What we may like may not be true for others.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

joaquinx

Jul 18, 2010, 5:40 PM

Post #3 of 13 (26612 views)

Shortcut

By the way, is there really a difference between the green and the black avocado? Is there a difference in taste? Is one better for Guacamole and another for eating whole?

I know of three types of aguacate. The larger green one, called Chiapas, contain more water and less taste than the black one, called Haas. The Hass aguacates are much better tasting and better suited for making guacamole. Then there are the small black ones. The seed is about the same size as Hass, but with about a ¼ inch of green flesh. I don't know their name, but they have a slight anise taste. Often eaten whole, skin and flesh. No seed of course.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

robt65

Jul 18, 2010, 5:41 PM

Post #4 of 13 (26610 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Guacamole - So Many Different Ones - Different and Yet Similar

Thanks Neil,

I understand and I agree. I guess it is because of this "personal taste" thing that is probably the very reason for so many different tasting ones out there.

Let me also ask you while I have you here. You have been around Mexico a while, why is it so darned difficult to find good (or for that matter any) lemons here? my ignorance tells me there should be almost as many lemons available here in Mexico as there are limes . . . . . . . but ah, not so!

Robt65

Casa

Jul 18, 2010, 6:10 PM

Post #5 of 13 (26598 views)

Shortcut

A very interesting article on Avocados can be found here.

The article explains different kinds of Avocado and other interesting tidbits like, "The word 'avocado' comes from the Nahuatl word ahuacatl ('testicle', a reference to the shape of the fruit).Avocados were known by the Aztecs as 'the fertility fruit'."

and "The Nahuatl ahuacatl can be compounded with other words, as in ahuacamolli, meaning 'avocado soup or sauce', from which the Mexican Spanish word guacamole derives. Also in some South American countries, the avocado is called "la manzana del invierno". This translates to "the apple of the winter"."

robt65

Jul 18, 2010, 6:41 PM

Post #6 of 13 (26591 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Casa] Guacamole - So Many Different Ones - Different and Yet Similar

Hey Casa,

Very interesting indeed. Thanks for the heads up.

robt65

Anonimo

Jul 19, 2010, 5:27 AM

Post #7 of 13 (26565 views)

Shortcut

Two ripe Haas avocados, peeled and roughly mashed, salt, juice from a Mexican limón (lime); finely chopped white onion (just a teaspoon or two or two for two avocados); some minced cilantro. Optional: one seeded chile serrano, very finely minced. Or chile perón.

One variant I've liked has some tomatillos (tomates verdes) in it. I don't recall if they were cooked or raw, but I believe they were raw.

EDIT: One of the best ways to eat really fresh, ripe, locally grown avocados is to cut then in half legthwise, remove the pit, apply lime juice and salt, and eat with a spoon.

Saludos,
Anonimo

(This post was edited by Anonimo on Jul 19, 2010, 5:46 AM)

robt65

Jul 19, 2010, 5:47 AM

Post #8 of 13 (26562 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Guacamole - So Many Different Ones - Different and Yet Similar

Hey Thanks Anonimo,

This sounds good. I am collecting all of these and I am going to make a little index card box in the kitchen solely for Salsas and Guacamole recipes.

Robt65.

chinagringo

Jul 19, 2010, 7:36 AM

Post #9 of 13 (26546 views)

Shortcut

Robert:

Knowing that I had read numerous conversations about lemons and really had little personal knowledge on the topic, I did a search on this forum:

http://www.mexconnect.com/...p;sb=score&mh=25

Hopefully a review of these results will provide you with the answer that you seek.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

robt65

Jul 19, 2010, 8:07 AM

Post #10 of 13 (26536 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Guacamole - So Many Different Ones - Different and Yet Similar

Thanks chinagringo,

I am going to start having to pay more attention to the search spot on this forum. What a dummy I can be at times. (only I am allowed to say that! (Smiling))

robt65

joaquinx

Jul 19, 2010, 9:12 AM

Post #11 of 13 (26529 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
This sounds good. I am collecting all of these and I am going to make a little index card box in the kitchen solely for Salsas and Guacamole recipes.

Robt65.

Could we really use a smartphone app to store these recipes?
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

La Isla

Jul 19, 2010, 10:27 AM

Post #12 of 13 (26515 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Let me also ask you while I have you here. You have been around Mexico a while, why is it so darned difficult to find good (or for that matter any) lemons here? my ignorance tells me there should be almost as many lemons available here in Mexico as there are limes . . . . . . . but ah, not so!

Robt65

I have gotten used to the fact that the largish yellow lemons to be found in the States are usually nowhere to found here. I really prefer them to the little green limones to be found everywhere in Mexico, especially in a nice mug of hot black tea. To my surprise, they are sometimes available in the produce department at Superama. Too bad they can't be hoarded like jars of peanut butter!

Vichil

Jul 19, 2010, 2:00 PM

Post #13 of 13 (26502 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Guacamole - So Many Different Ones - Different and Yet Similar

You can squeeze their juice and freeze it in ice cube trays. That is what I do when I go to Chiapas. Buy a bunch of them in Ajijic and press the juice and freeze it after I arrive. See they CAN be hoarded!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4