Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

gpkgto

Jul 17, 2010, 8:40 AM

Post #1 of 18 (18370 views)

Shortcut

Puebla visit

Can't Post | Private Reply
I will be visiting the city of Puebla soon. Anyone know a good downtown hotel (medium priced) and maybe other suggestions of things to see/do? Thanks in advance.

yTABDGdW

Jul 17, 2010, 9:57 AM

Post #2 of 18 (18351 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkgto] Puebla visit

I know Puebla quite well. The two best hotels I have found for value for money are the Hotel Colonial and the Hotel Santiago. Both are right in the center literally a one minute walk from the Zocalo. The Colonial is nicer and has more character but it is more expensive. The Santiago is cheaper but rooms are smaller. Both have nice rooftop patios with a view of the centro. Keep in mind that staying in the centro is good for seeing the sites, experiencing the city but not so good if you want a quiet place to stay. Nevertheless, I would stay in the centro because it is very beautiful. Puebla has the largest colonial centro in all of Mexico and it has been designated a world heritage site. In terms of what to see, just go to the tourist center which is also right near the Zocalo and they can give you a map for everything which is all within walking distance. You should also make the trip to Cholula (15 minutes by taxi/bus) to see the pyramid which has a colonial church built right on top of it and has a spectacular view of the active volcano Popocatepetl. Its also worth visiting the centro of San Andres Cholula. Lots of character. If you are into history you can go to Los Fuertes (also not far from the centro) which is where the Cinco de Mayo battle against the French took place. It has a spectacular view of the city as well. Actually, if you are into history and architecture Puebla is hard to beat. Oh, also check out the Los Sapos market which is particularly interesting on Sunday when all the locals come out to sell used goods while the upper middle class sit around drinking micheladas and smoking cigars. Finally, try the famous Mole Poblano and check out the Talavera factory. This time of the year you will also be able to indulge in some Chiles en Nogada if you like. Puebla also has some decent museums.

http://www.hotelsantiago.com.mx/

http://www.colonial.com.mx/

Vichil

Jul 17, 2010, 11:32 AM

Post #3 of 18 (18330 views)

Shortcut

I like Hotel Meson San Sebastian. The people are very nice, there are 11 rooms in an old mansion, it is a couple of blocks from the Cathedral . I thinK I paid between 700 and 800 pesos last May.

(This post was edited by Vichil on Jul 17, 2010, 11:32 AM)

gpkgto

Jul 17, 2010, 11:36 AM

Post #4 of 18 (18325 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Memo] Puebla visit

Thanks--that's just what I wanted to know!

gpkgto

Jul 17, 2010, 11:37 AM

Post #5 of 18 (18323 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] Puebla visit

Thanks--I'll check it out!

robt65

Jul 17, 2010, 12:19 PM

Post #6 of 18 (18309 views)

Shortcut

Memo,

Thanks for the very detailed information about this city of Puebla. I have taken the time (almost one hour) to review all the information of http://www.colonial.com.mx/ that you so kindly provided. I feel as though I have been transported for an afternoon of relaxation. I think also this hotel has set not only a Mexico but a world standard for COMPLETE informative guide to what their hotel has and does not have in the way of amenities. Never in my many years of travel world wide, have I seen a more complete hotel description. They sure are not afraid to tell you what they do not have either. I like that. No surprises when you visit this hotel. It would appear the General manager has certainly done her job and then some. he photos are indeed worth thousands of words. This was not particularly on my list of places to visit soon, but thanks to your kind and thorough description of the city, It has moved to the top ten, no make that the top five places I have to visit soon. I wish you would draw this to the attention of Esperanza, if she isn't already aware of this hotel, maybe she can do a story on it for MexConnect. Thank you again for your detail. The hotel and the city should be paying you as an ambassador.

Robt65

yTABDGdW

Jul 17, 2010, 1:19 PM

Post #7 of 18 (18302 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Puebla visit

Thanks Robt65. Very kind of you to say so. I love Puebla. It has a lot of good memories for me. You can get a feeling of being in Europe there, but on the cheap. Its a terrific centro to just walk around in. If you take the time, you will find some gems. There are a lot of old buildings with open courtyards, fountains, etc. You may find yourself just wandering into one and seeing some seniors practicing their Danzon moves. Or perhaps a little mom and pop sandwich cafe filled with canaries and little kids kicking a ball around while you eat, get lazy and then take a nap during the afternoon rains. In the evening the zocalo is packed with a family atmosphere as you sip on your favorite beverage under Los Portales and take in a view of one of the most magnificent cathedrals in all of Mexico. Poblanos are considered to be stuckup amongst Mexicans, but I never came across too much of that. However, that was probably because I was involved with the "in crowd" while I was there. There definitely is an "elite" class there and that has a lot to do with the fact that Puebla was a major immigration point for the Spanish, Germans, French and some Lebanese. You can find these vibrant communities still alive and well in the city. I also found that the population is fairly well educated considering the fact that the BUAP, the UDLA, the TEC, are there as well as hundreds of other colleges and universities to choose from. Nevertheless, even a stuck up Mexican will likely be more open and inviting than what we are used to North of the border.

I forgot to mention El Parian which is a somewhat touristy market for souvenirs but if you continue on walking you will find an artists market where you can view and buy original paintings by local artists.

If you want to get an idea of how much there is to see and learn there just have a look at the Wiki on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puebla_(city)

I have stayed at the Hotel Colonial and its a good deal. It might be worthwhile to do a piece on them because they do cater to foreigners a lot as you can tell by their webpage. There are a lot of hotels like that though, its just the Colonial gives you really good bang for your buck I think. The one Vichil posted I did not know about, but as you can see it is also really cool.

If your wallet is fat, the Camino Real is a converted convent. Absolutely stunning.

http://www.caminoreal.com/Micrositio/index.php

robt65

Jul 17, 2010, 1:31 PM

Post #8 of 18 (18289 views)

Shortcut

Memo,

My wallet is far from fat, especially these days. Hell, I am waiting for my last job (architectural consultant expert witness) for a lawyer to pay me, so I can get on my way home to Queretaro. I hate working for lawyers. They take their sweet time to pay. It makes it impossible to plan anything. Oh well, the luck of the draw.

How far is it from Queretaro to Puebla to drive? Do you know? What is the weather like in Puebla? Is it really humid? It appears to sit in a valley, which in most Mexican areas equals high humidity.

Robt65

Vichil

Jul 17, 2010, 1:46 PM

Post #9 of 18 (18286 views)

Shortcut

It is about 2h to 2h.30mn to Puebla and the humidity in Puebla is similar to the one in Mexico City. The altitude is over 2100m it gets cool to cold in the winter.

Papirex

Jul 17, 2010, 5:04 PM

Post #10 of 18 (18254 views)

Shortcut

Try this link to find distance between Mexican cities: http://www.maps-of-mexico.com/...distance-chart.shtml It is not complete, and it doesn't tell you the route used, but it gives you a good idea of the distance and you can guesstimate the time required. Multiply the Kms by .62 to get the miles.

I have used it for years when going somewhere new. It is better than having no idea of the distance or time required.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

yTABDGdW

Jul 17, 2010, 5:11 PM

Post #11 of 18 (18252 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] Puebla visit

Rex, you never came across this? Its even in English if you want.

http://aplicaciones4.sct.gob.mx/...action=cmdEscogeRuta

(This post was edited by Memo on Jul 17, 2010, 5:18 PM)

robt65

Jul 17, 2010, 6:27 PM

Post #12 of 18 (18229 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] Puebla visit

Thanks Rex,

I appreciate that.

Robt65

robt65

Jul 17, 2010, 6:29 PM

Post #13 of 18 (18228 views)

Shortcut

Thanks Memo,

Now I have two good sources. Really like the maplines here.

Robt65

gpkgto

Jul 19, 2010, 3:42 PM

Post #14 of 18 (18107 views)

Shortcut

Can this post go back to Travel? When it is moved to an area forum, only those interested in that area will look at it. I was hoping for more responses, re: restaurants, events, etc.

yTABDGdW

Jul 19, 2010, 4:44 PM

Post #15 of 18 (18091 views)

Shortcut

Hmmm. Well, one of the most famous would be Fonda de Santa Clara. Personally, I wasnt too impressed though.

Most of the high scale restaurants are on Juarez street. Juarez is definitely a gathering point for eating, drinking in the evenings amongst the more affluent Poblanos. There is one Argentinian restaurant on Juarez called La Estancia that has been there forever, so it must be good. I havent eaten there personally. You could just walk up and down Juarez and take your pick.

For something more street, you should definitely go to the Mercado del Carmen where you can try the Cemitas.

What I would suggest you do if you are up for a little adventure is to make the short trip to the small town of Atlixco. Only 20-30 minutes away. Not only does it have a nice atmosphere in the Zocalo, but more importantly you can head to the local market for a plate of cesina with aguacate, queso, salsa, etc. Delicious.

(This post was edited by Memo on Jul 19, 2010, 4:56 PM)

gpkgto

Jul 20, 2010, 5:44 AM

Post #16 of 18 (18029 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for the tips!

Anonimo

Jul 20, 2010, 6:48 PM

Post #17 of 18 (17978 views)

Shortcut

Here's a link to a post I made on Chowhound.com about a year and a half ago, asking about eating in Puebla Centro, specifically Fonda Santa Clara.
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/581379

Here's my post trip report.
http://mexkitchen.blogspot.com/...o-oaxaca-part-1.html

Provecho,
Anonimo

gpkgto

Jul 21, 2010, 11:08 AM

Post #18 of 18 (17913 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Puebla visit

Thanks--lots of good information!