Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Dollie

Jul 16, 2010, 3:02 PM

Post #1 of 4 (4979 views)

Shortcut

After the flood, where is a safe place to cross?

Can't Post | Private Reply
We have to leave Mexico this coming week. We normally cross through Peidras Negras or Laredo. Sabinas is still closed and it seems things are falling apart in NL. We cannot get to PN and Nuevo Laredo is erupting in violence today.

I will have my 6 kids with me and need to cross in TX. Please give me some advice. Where is the safest place to cross right now. (hubby had to fly out already so I will be driving alone with the kids)

I have lived in MX since 2001 (on and off) with very little problems but we are worried since the flooding and the outbreak of violence in NL today.

Please don't flame.

Thanks!
Dollie

Altahabana

Jul 16, 2010, 4:06 PM

Post #2 of 4 (4962 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Dollie] After the flood, where is a safe place to cross?

The comments by your friends about the situation in Nuevo Laredo describing the people as desperate were highly inaccurate. However today there were major gunbattles all over Nuevo Laredo as I described in the thread I started on the General Board. Things have been relatively quiet here since the hostilities broke out in February until today. I suggest you follow the news--I would bet things are going to quiet down

You do not want to cross between Falcon Dam/Nuevo Guerrero and Rio Grande City/Camargo since that is like driving along the front lines in Afghanastan. I have no idea if your friend's bad experience crossing at Cuidad Miguel Aleman/Roma was narco-related, but if it wasn't they should count themselves lucky. Their bad experience could have been infinitely worse.

There is alot of bad stuff going on in the Reynosa and Matamoros area, but I guess if you don't know about you shouldn't worry. Likewise there is increased Zeta/military clashes in northern Coahuila in and around Piedras. But since Highway 57 is still closed you don't even have that option.

Your best bet will probably be Nuevo Laredo. Because it is such a vital transportation center for Mexico--the army keeps a pretty tight rein on things. They will probably shut this place down tight after the events this afternoon and it will be an easy drive through. I shake my head when ex-pats recommend Columbia bridge. That is Zeta country, but again if you don't know that you probably won't notice the drive through unless you draw the black bean.

Dollie

Jul 16, 2010, 4:43 PM

Post #3 of 4 (4956 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Altahabana] After the flood, where is a safe place to cross?

Thank you so much Alta. Once again, you are amazing.

We are planning on leaving this Sunday or Monday. I will be diligently looking for news about NL till then. If you hear anything else, please let me know.
Thank you so very much.

see saw sallie

Jul 18, 2010, 11:46 AM

Post #4 of 4 (4834 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Dollie] After the flood, where is a safe place to cross?

We are in Laredo right now. It seems ok and not falling apart. Kinda stranded (at hotel) but that is another issue to do with papers for customs broker and our vehicle. It feels like "everyday" Laredo and Nuevo Laredo to me. There are places we always stay away from but I'd caution that in any city or town. We walked across the border late yesterday. I noted the military and police everywhere but there were hundreds of people out and about. If anything, I felt better with the police, border patrol and military around. Good luck and be safe. :)

(This post was edited by see saw sallie on Jul 18, 2010, 11:47 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4