Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

lucky

Jul 15, 2010, 11:15 AM

Post #1 of 10 (15791 views)

Shortcut

Fiesta de Tlahualiles - Sahuayo

Can't Post | Private Reply
Going to Sahuayo for the Fiesta in a week or so. anybody have suggestions of where to eat? we're staying at the Hotel Latino and would prefer to keep the vehicle garaged while we're there, so places to which we can walk much preferred.

thanks!

lucky

Jul 27, 2010, 5:11 AM

Post #2 of 10 (15563 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lucky] Fiesta de Tlahualiles - Sahuayo

wow! 220+ views and no recommendations! sahuayo may be the best-kept secret in mexico.

the parade for the fiesta was amazing! very few gringos in attendance, which explains (perhaps) why i got no responses to my original post.

as additional explanation of why no gringos were there is this exchange between myself and a local fellow in sahuayo. he asked how i enjoyed it and i told him (truthfully) it was one of the best things i had ever seen. i said i was surprised that no one knew about it. he replied, "oh, everyone knows about it. but everyone is from here and none of them share it wihout outsiders."

RickS

Jul 27, 2010, 1:50 PM

Post #3 of 10 (15528 views)

Shortcut

.....so enlighten us.

lucky

Jul 27, 2010, 3:26 PM

Post #4 of 10 (15517 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Fiesta de Tlahualiles - Sahuayo

well, RickS, i still can't enlighten you much about places to eat, if that's what you're asking. i got some recommendations from a couple of guys in sahuayo, but we couldn't get into any of them because they were booked for private functions. i can give you the names of the restaurants, if you would like, but i can't personally vouch for any of them.

if you're asking about the fiesta parade and goings-on, i can say that it reminded me of mardi gras (i lived in new orleans for 10 years). i'm in the process of putting some pictures together, so if you're interested in that, i'll post the link once they're up.

RickS

Jul 27, 2010, 4:04 PM

Post #5 of 10 (15512 views)

Shortcut

Please do..... and thanks.

lucky

Jul 28, 2010, 10:32 AM

Post #6 of 10 (15458 views)

Shortcut

for RickS and anyone else who might be interested, here is the link to the pictures of the parade in Sahuayo on sunday, july 25, 2010. i have more pictures of Sahuayo itself and some additional pictures taken before the parade. if you're interested in those, let me know. enjoy!

http://picasaweb.google.com/...20/SahuayoFiesta2010#

(This post was edited by Rolly on Jul 28, 2010, 10:53 AM)

RickS

Jul 28, 2010, 11:15 AM

Post #7 of 10 (15448 views)

Shortcut

Wow, lucky, what an amazing Fiesta parade! And what a pleasant change from all the other (unpleasant) stories/pictures coming out of Mexico lately. Thanks for sharing.

Can you (or someone) explain what the Fiesta de Tlahualiles is 'honoring'?

(This post was edited by RickS on Jul 28, 2010, 11:33 AM)

lucky

Jul 28, 2010, 11:30 AM

Post #8 of 10 (15445 views)

Shortcut

it's sahuayo's patronales festival honoring Santiago (St. James the Elder, or the Greater). i'm sorry, but i can't give you the deviration of Tlahualiles. guess i'll have to spend more time on senor google!

but, with or without further explanation, it's an amazing sight!

esperanza

Jul 28, 2010, 3:02 PM

Post #9 of 10 (15427 views)

Shortcut

Spectacular parade! Thanks a million for posting the photos.

FYI, the saint is Santiago Apóstol--St. James the Apostle. For those of you familiar with Santiago Campostela, a world-famous pilgrim destination in Spain, the saint is the same. Santiago Apóstol's symbol is the scallop shell; I believe that that shape is echoed in the fantastic headdresses in your photos.

Many, many Mexican towns honor Santiago Apóstol as their santo patrón. Among them are both Tupátaro and Angahuan, Michoacán.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

La Isla

Jul 28, 2010, 4:03 PM

Post #10 of 10 (15422 views)

Shortcut

Great photos, lucky. The headresses remind me a lot the ones worn by the string bands and the Fancy Divisions participating in the Mummers Parade every New Year's Day in Philadelphia, PA.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4