Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

Dreamer Blue

Jul 11, 2010, 2:29 PM

Post #1 of 5 (4595 views)

Shortcut

New Guide book for Driving Baja

Can't Post | Private Reply
There is a great new Guide Book for a anyone considering Baja as their next destination. "Driving Baja" is specifically designed for RVers and travelers who want to drive down the Baja Peninsula and it is an invaluable resource both in planning your trip and in safely navigating once you get there. From arranging finances to stocking the RV, from obtaining maps and permits to taking the family dog, it's all covered here. And once you arrive, it takes you across the border and gives you roads, road signs, distances and campgrounds. It even has a simple dictionary to help you buy food and supplies along the way as well as an overview of the history and culture of the area. With easy-to-read print, useful charts and color photos, this ook bshould be in every RV, vehicle and backpack! To get a copy, visit www.trafford.com.

chicois8

Jul 11, 2010, 5:57 PM

Post #2 of 5 (4571 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RachelM] New Guide book for Driving Baja

Hola Rachel, I am just curious as to what makes your book any different that the 40 or 50 books that have been written about driving Baja over the years...I have books from 1972 that could be used today for most of Baja, except for a few additional roads that have been paved over the years and some restaurants that have changed hands or names, Baja does not change very much and it changes very slowly...I have been visiting Baja since the late 40's and driving from 1971 to 2002 maybe 50+ trips,and never hit a cow....I loved the line from your preview page,you wrote

"They are the wide-horned, wild-eyed relatives of bull-fighting cows."

Do you mean bull-fighting bulls? No cows at a bull fight... suerte
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

(This post was edited by chicois8 on Jul 11, 2010, 5:58 PM)

Dreamer Blue

Jul 11, 2010, 7:52 PM

Post #3 of 5 (4554 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] New Guide book for Driving Baja

You mean cows can't fight off those d**** bulls! Que lastima!

Yes, I have mucho libros also and they are all great - but none are specifically addressed to driving down for the first time. Either they have directions but no info as to what to do before you leave home, or they have no info on how to buy groceries in small towns without speaking spanish - or on what groceries can be found in small town .... or no chart of road signs and their meaning (actually I have never seen that in any book). This guide is in a convenient, lay-flat format that nervous drivers can have open beside them and it will ease their first foray into Baja California. So far it has received excellent reviews so if it helps encourage people to visit that lovely land, I will be very happy.

Cheers!

mexliving

Jul 22, 2010, 1:10 AM

Post #4 of 5 (4453 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RachelM] New Guide book for Driving Baja

i really dont think too many people are lining up at the tijuana border to drive their rv's to baja...... the effects from all the crime in the last 5 years have ruined that area.

Dreamer Blue

Jul 22, 2010, 6:07 AM

Post #5 of 5 (4443 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexliving] New Guide book for Driving Baja

Yep. Numbers are definitely down - although a surprising number of Canadians are ignoring the hype and nonsense and braving the jungles of L.A. and the I-5 in order to reach that border. Goes to show what happens to your brain when you retire I guess!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4