Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

robt65

Jul 11, 2010, 6:35 AM

Post #1 of 7 (5684 views)

Shortcut

Tell Me Your Favorite Mexican Sopas.

Can't Post | Private Reply
Tell Me Your Favorite Mexican Sopas. For me, I keep changing my favorites. I absolutely love a good cream of carrot or especially Poblano Pepper sopa. Then again my mouth waters at the thought of a good tortilla, corn, lime or pumpkin chorizo sopa. Boy oh boy . . . . . but Mexican sopas are a well hidden secret in the culinary world. I have only found one soup that I cannot possibly eat. It was a soup that my wife ordered for me at a river bank restaurant in a small Mexican pueblo on the way to Xilitla. It was a rather clear red colored broth with some whole river crawfish in it. UGH! I could not handle that one. Probably like a good scotch whiskey though . . . . one has to develop a taste for it. Think I'll pass. My wife loves it. Now after speaking to Jimena, she has told me the name of that sopa was Caldo de Acamaya al mojo de ajo. I am sure that my spelling is not correct, but if you say it phonically, I think you might know it. Please share with me some other sopas I should try.

robt65

(This post was edited by robt65 on Jul 11, 2010, 7:11 PM)

Anonimo

Jul 11, 2010, 8:57 AM

Post #2 of 7 (5670 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Tell Me Your Favorite Mexican Sopas.

http://mexkitchen.blogspot.com/...e-mexican-soups.html

I also like a good Crema de Cilantro on occasion. Some Sopa de Médula I've had was extraordinary.

More recently, I had a taste of a remarkable Sopa Fría de Pera y Yogurth con Jamón Serrano. But it wasn't Mexican, It was Nuevo Catalán.
http://lh4.ggpht.com/...z8/s912/DSCN0597.JPG

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

Rolly

Jul 11, 2010, 9:28 AM

Post #3 of 7 (5654 views)

Shortcut

Two of my favorites are rajas and calabaza.

Rolly Pirate

esperanza

Jul 11, 2010, 10:46 AM

Post #4 of 7 (5640 views)

Shortcut

I love caldo de pollo, and love caldo de res (otherwise known as cocido) almost as much.

Here's my recipe for caldo de pollo: http://mexicocooks.typepad.com/...p-mexican-style.html

Note that if you are eating a clear soup, it's usually called caldo--unless it's consomé de pollo, which is close to but not the same thing as caldo de pollo.

If you're asking for a cream soup--like crema de zanahoria, crema de champiñones, crema de calabaza, etc--it's always called crema.

Sopa is ordinarily rice, fideos, macaroni, or many of the things you might think of as starchy side dishes that are served either alone as a second course (after the soup course) or that accompany the platillo fuerte--main dish.

Confused yet? Don't be--just enjoy!

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

robt65

Jul 11, 2010, 11:10 AM

Post #5 of 7 (5631 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Tell Me Your Favorite Mexican Sopas.

Esperanza,

Do folks in the small pueblos get that fancy or do they just call it all SOUP? and enjoy I will along with my now found place to have some excellent Abalone and 3" scallops, thanks to chicois8! How about it Peter, you up for a short trip to B.C. ? The "Old Bama Porch Dawg" is probably afraid to drive that far!

Robt65

Peter

Jul 11, 2010, 12:07 PM

Post #6 of 7 (5626 views)

Shortcut

I'm not up for a drive to BC but it might be a nice fly-in destination. I have been telling Tere I will take her for an airplane trip sometime soon. I thought we would be going someplace south but it sounds as if the good shellfish is around Ensenada. We had thought about taking a bus ride to Mazatlán and take the ferry over to La Paz and Los Cabos. It would be good to find out those scallops and abalone could be found along there. Reading that other thread made me think seriously about making such a trip and for that purpose. Let's do it.

As far as soup I like the Sopa Tarasca here. Some places in California I have had something similar but they were calling it tortilla soup but that California variety had too many variations, only some were like what we have here.

I had made some spaghetti Italiano (just plain spaghetti for most Americans) for some neighbors. It went over very well but when one of them asked me about it a few days later and wanted to know how I made that "sopa" I didn't know what they were talking about at first. The magic word spaghetti put both of us back in the right track. That was my first realization about the use of the word "sopa" here, though sopa Tarasca seemed very fitting.

esperanza

Jul 11, 2010, 12:28 PM

Post #7 of 7 (5617 views)

Shortcut

Robert, the distinctions apply wherever you are in Mexico. If you ask for sopa in Sr. Fulano's 3-table fondita, in cualquier pueblito chiquitito, Sr. Fulano will ask you whether you prefer rice or macaroni. He won't think for a minute that you want a bowl of caldo or the crema del día.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4