Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

Bethie

Jul 2, 2010, 10:22 AM

Post #1 of 10 (9452 views)

Shortcut

Hurricane & Cell Disturbances

Can't Post | Private Reply
Was wondering if anyone is having trouble placing cell phone calles to and from Veracruz or Tamaulipus areas. I have been trying to call from NOB to Panuco in Veracruz since 10pm EST last night. Calls not going thru. Was just wondering if perhaps a tower may have been damaged due to Alex. AT&T says nothing wrong on their end here.

joaquinx

Jul 2, 2010, 4:45 PM

Post #2 of 10 (9422 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bethie] Hurricane & Cell Disturbances

I swear that something is amiss. My US debit card hasn't worked for three days at any of the bank ATMs. My bank says that all is OK on their end. Although I have cell service (Xalapa), Megacable Internet to sites in the US are slow to “can't get there.”
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

Rolly

Jul 2, 2010, 5:10 PM

Post #3 of 10 (9411 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Hurricane & Cell Disturbances

Internet service has been seriously disrupted in many parts of the country. My whole area, even banks, was without service for about 14 hours last night and this morning (Thursday-Friday).

Rolly Pirate

joaquinx

Jul 2, 2010, 5:30 PM

Post #4 of 10 (9403 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Hurricane & Cell Disturbances

Megacable just flashed a message the primary and secondary fiber cables are out and they hope to get better servive in 24 hours. How this affect cell and ATM'S is anyones guess.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

Bethie

Jul 2, 2010, 6:49 PM

Post #5 of 10 (9394 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Hurricane & Cell Disturbances

Thnak you so much for the responses. I see that your responses, both posted at 4:45 and 5:10 pm, took over 3 hours to hit here NOB. I am like a mother hen waiting for hubby to contact me. I re-activated my skype Monterrey Mexico phone number and sent him an email. But if internet is not working, it is a catch 22, he does not know of the re-activated phone number.

I know this storm has damaged not only cell towers and computer lines, etc., the pictures I see of the flooding and landslides are just heartbreaking to me. I hope this message finds everyone well and I appreciate the responses. I did call the Plaza Hotel in Panuco Veracruz and they did answer the phone, so perhaps landlines are working. I will update soon as I hear any news of Hubby.

Gracias.

robt65

Jul 2, 2010, 7:35 PM

Post #6 of 10 (9382 views)

Shortcut

Hey Bethie,

I buse my cell Phone twice daily to telephone to Altamira and Tampico every day. I also called to San Juan del Rio today all without problems. What is your carrier. Maybe that also can make a difference.

How about the roads going to Tampico from Matamoros has any one been through Soto de Marina and Aldama since Alex danced his way through? Are the roads all OK?

Robt65.

Bethie

Jul 2, 2010, 7:37 PM

Post #7 of 10 (9382 views)

Shortcut

Update! Just got a brief email from hubby, cell phones in that area are not working, family is fine, do not know about flooding in his area, but at least internet is working, however slowly, appears he sent email at 8:30 i got it at 10:30. At least i can sleep now. Thanks for the shoulder.

Bethie

Jul 2, 2010, 7:40 PM

Post #8 of 10 (9381 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Hurricane & Cell Disturbances

Rob65
as soon as I can get a phone call from him, i will ask about the roads and stuff for you. I am with AT&T Viva Mexico Plan. I don't know what carrier you use. He does now have the skype phone number, so if he can get a call thru to me, i will let you know so you can be preapred for your journey. Have a good night senor!

robt65

Jul 2, 2010, 7:44 PM

Post #9 of 10 (9379 views)

Shortcut

Bethie,

I also have AT&T viva Mexico plan. Is there some way I can contact him for you and pass along any messages for you?

Robt65

Bethie

Jul 2, 2010, 7:55 PM

Post #10 of 10 (9375 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Hurricane & Cell Disturbances

That is most generous of you. Chilvary is not dead. The email will sustain me for the night, but perhaps tomorrow, if I have difficulty i will PM you for you to do that for me. And i see some nice pumpkin tamales in your future for you and your wife should we ever meet.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4