Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

seattle

Jul 1, 2010, 11:29 PM

Post #1 of 21 (12311 views)

Shortcut

Nursing home help

Can't Post | Private Reply
I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about local nursing homes, knows anyone who has used their services, etc. One I had heard from is Alicia´s Convalescent Nursing Home (Paseo del lago # 57, Fracc la Floreta, Ajijic ). Any advice or pointers to local nursing homes would be greatly appreciated, as the info on the web is a bit sparse. Thanks in advance.

seattle

Jul 5, 2010, 3:38 PM

Post #2 of 21 (12185 views)

Shortcut

Re: [seattle] Nursing home help

Wow, 120 views and no replies? Hello? Did I mistime my inquiry and all the snowbirds have flocked north? Do folks not get older there? Man, I'll be right down.

I found a thread from a few years ago on the forums, but nothing current. And the only other references I find to the home I mentioned are from their website.

My dear old dad has outlived most of his money, and unfortunately didn't have a son with much to spare. The last place he tried wanted $8k a month for him to move in, and his "cheap" option wanted $5k monthly now, and we were told to budget $6-7k in the next year or two when he'll need continuous care. Again, anything anyone can provide about folks from the US in local nursing homes would be greatly appreciated. Stories, references, third-hand accounts, advice, anything. Thanks.

chinagringo

Jul 5, 2010, 3:46 PM

Post #3 of 21 (12182 views)

Shortcut

You might check the following and inquire with them:
http://www.lakesidecare.com/
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

sparks

Jul 5, 2010, 4:48 PM

Post #4 of 21 (12173 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Nursing home help

I don't know what Ron and Sarah charge but considerably less than those prices above. I stayed with them on that property a few days while I was looking for a house. They have limited space (5-6 patients) but very nice home on the lake

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

simpsca

Jul 6, 2010, 6:41 AM

Post #5 of 21 (12128 views)

Shortcut

There are other nursing and assisted living homes here but not with websites that I am aware of. I understand that Alicias in La Floresta charges around $1,400 per month or around that. Cost to move in is minimal.

Then main complaint I hear about the local nursing homes here is the food is not that good. Remember is it being made by Mexicans who are cooking for the North American pallet.

seattle

Jul 7, 2010, 9:05 AM

Post #6 of 21 (12062 views)

Shortcut

Re: [simpsca] Nursing home help

Funny you say that about the food. This is one of the first things I read while researching:

"On a recent afternoon, lunch at the Casa de Ancianos consisted of vegetable soup, beet salad, Spanish rice, baked dogfish stuffed with peppers, garlic bread and a choice of four cakes and two Jell-O salads. Slater's neighbor doesn't like Mexican food, so a nursing home employee cooks whatever she wants on a stove beside her bed."

I've read that folks pay extra for "American food." If it's a meal like above, I say sign me up for the Mexican menu! Sounds much better than the Jimmy Dean omelet I just heated up for Dad.

seattle

Jul 7, 2010, 9:09 AM

Post #7 of 21 (12057 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. I'm waiting to hear back from a couple of calls I made, I'll be posting as I hear back.

simpsca

Jul 7, 2010, 3:27 PM

Post #8 of 21 (12022 views)

Shortcut

One person I know complains about the food where she is now, but maybe she is just being difficult. the other person was in a different place since the owner passed away and he complained about the food. So I don't know from first hand about the food, just two people who complained.

vetteforron

Jul 16, 2010, 5:55 AM

Post #9 of 21 (11833 views)

Shortcut

Hi seattle, my name is Ron Langley. My wife owns Casita del Lago. We have a nice room available with private bath, the price 1400 a month. As with all assisted facilities we include all meals, house keeping, laundry, nurse of staff. Your only other expense would be diapers (if any) medicines, Doctors. My website is lakesidecare.com and has all contact imfro. I would be glad to show you around any time. Thank you. Ron

ajijiccharlie

Jul 16, 2010, 6:52 AM

Post #10 of 21 (11821 views)

Shortcut

Seattle,
Will you live here with your dad? If not, I'd be concerned about leaving him here without any support system. The local nursing home residents tend to have lived in the area for a number of years and have a network of friends.
Chuck

Gringal

Jul 17, 2010, 11:26 AM

Post #11 of 21 (11717 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ajijiccharlie] Nursing home help

I can't help but wonder about that, too. I have heard about people bringing their elderly relatives to Mexico where the care is cheaper.........and leaving them. I hope this is not the case here.

vetteforron

Jul 17, 2010, 4:03 PM

Post #12 of 21 (11679 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Nursing home help

Actually, we have had people leave a parent with us while they vacationed because they new they would be well cared for. Which is another service we have.

seattle

Jul 27, 2010, 1:20 PM

Post #13 of 21 (11291 views)

Shortcut

Re: [vetteforron] Nursing home help

Damn, Gringal, you caught me. I was planning on leaving Dad in the airport with a note in his shirt pocket "Lake Chapala, please" then running (not walking) back to my return flight. I mean, he'll be okay, right?

On a more serious note, I'm betting "senior abandonment" will be an issue in the future, with the great state of the USA health care system, and the rising tide of Alzheimer's and other age related diseases.

On another serious note, I've gotten some good contact back from homes in the Lake Chapala area (like from Sara and Ron), and am shooting for a September arrival. If anyone can point me to a good rental (I was hoping for something under $500 a month furnished, utilities, etc. included) in the area for a good son who is not abandoning his father south of the border, please let me know!

RickS

Jul 27, 2010, 2:01 PM

Post #14 of 21 (11283 views)

Shortcut

"under $500 a month furnished, utilities, etc. included"

While not impossible, you will have to 'search' to meet those goals. If you can wait until you arrive to secure a place you could look in the various 'boards' around town (Lake Chapala Society grounds, Superlake/El Torito boards, etc.) for postings by 'owners'. If you need to secure a place before coming down you will most likely have to use Management/Realtor companies and $500 will be hard to come by, IMHO.

I suggest you put your 'desire to rent' on the "Home Exchange/Rent/Sell forum here.

chinagringo

Jul 27, 2010, 2:42 PM

Post #15 of 21 (11277 views)

Shortcut

Seattle:

You might look at the following:

http://www.romawebsite.com/listings.html
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

seattle

Jul 28, 2010, 6:59 PM

Post #16 of 21 (11190 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Nursing home help

Thanks for the pointers. Yeah, I had planned on doing a couple to few weeks in a hotel while I looked about. As I'm not sure where Dad might end up (and I wasn't planning on a car) too much advance planning wouldn't make sense.

There were some nice properties on the link above, but it looks like a lot of the owners return for winter. Funny seeing one available with car or without.

Gringal

Jul 29, 2010, 1:46 PM

Post #17 of 21 (11140 views)

Shortcut

You also can try "Laguna Bed & Breakfast" in Ajijic for cheap temporary digs. Under $50 US; breakfast included.

bournemouth

Jul 29, 2010, 2:48 PM

Post #18 of 21 (11129 views)

Shortcut

$175 a week at the moment, according to their ad in the Guad. Reporter.

seattle

Jul 30, 2010, 10:56 AM

Post #19 of 21 (11078 views)

Shortcut

That looks great. I found "Laguna Bed and Brunch" on the web. I'm assuming it's the same place? Owners must like sleeping in--I don't think I've ever heard of a bed and brunch! Love those weekly rates. It looks good, and being attached to a Realtor makes things convenient.

I also heard from a nice lady at Ajijic Suites, seems like accommodation won't be a problem in the area. I'm going to reserve something in the next couple of weeks as I'm not sure how busy things are in late August/September when we plan on arriving. Thanks for the tips.

Gringal

Jul 30, 2010, 11:50 AM

Post #20 of 21 (11070 views)

Shortcut

I haven't stayed at either place, but people report they are both okay. Basic. (like a Mexican Motel 6, but with morning food.)
Right now, the Casablanca on 16 Septiembre is offering summer rates of $39 US. Includes Continental breakfast.
I have stayed there. Clean but basic. Two beds per room. Almost center of town; across from Lake Chapala Society where there is a bulletin board, along with many other services. Next door to Casablanca is a nice little restaurant run by a Mexican couple. Daily specials: good food. Just breakfast and lunch.

RickS

Jul 30, 2010, 2:05 PM

Post #21 of 21 (11061 views)

Shortcut

Many of us have stayed at the Laguna B&B, some (me) multiple times. You will find it to be very basic as far as the rooms go and FANTASTIC for the 'second B', Breakfast (or, as they prefer, Brunch). No 'Continental' breakfast here, that's for sure. It is low key and close (2 blocks?) to the Plaza. If you are planning on coming in later in the day (after 5PM?), make arrangements with Management, actually the Laguna Real Estate office next door, for your key as the office staff goes home then.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4