Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Abrria

Jun 22, 2010, 1:04 PM

Post #1 of 14 (14084 views)

Shortcut

FRIEND NEEDS BLOOD

Can't Post | Private Reply
A friend of mine just called and he needs at least 2 pints of blood: he is
A negative but can also receive O negative.

What is the process for donating blood?

He is at the Guadalajara Civil Hospital.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

skier14

Jun 23, 2010, 6:09 PM

Post #2 of 14 (13974 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Abrria] FRIEND NEEDS BLOOD

I am A Neg and live in Guadalajara. What name and where to donate.

Abrria

Jun 23, 2010, 6:35 PM

Post #3 of 14 (13969 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skier14] FRIEND NEEDS BLOOD

Muchas gracias,

He has been able to get the blood he needed. Thank you so much for responding.

I believe that "what goes around, comes around!"

Que tenga un buen dia.

robt65

Jun 23, 2010, 6:59 PM

Post #4 of 14 (13960 views)

Shortcut

Hello Abrri,

I had a thought. Maybe you could start a blood bank information line here on the forum. Find out what is necessary for people to donate blood in Mexico. Since we are a very disbursed group geographically, it might be tough for this to happen on the spur of the moment. Maybe you could let us know how one would donate blood, say in Tampico and have it send to (in your case Guadalajara Civil Hospital) or maybe start a list of persons willing to donate along with their blood type and then you would have a ready list at hand in case of an emergency. Usually a little planning goes a long way to helping someone in need. Many times the need for blood is critical, people are willing to help usually but cut us a break and now do something constructive about this.

Robert

Abrria

Jun 24, 2010, 8:09 AM

Post #5 of 14 (13913 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] FRIEND NEEDS BLOOD

Hola Robert,

What I did the other day to find out about donating blood was to go online to:
www.cruzrojachapala.com

On the left side of the page there is a section called, "Blood donors"; it lists what needs to be done and it also has a list of people, their blood types, and phone numbers. I don't know how current it is.

I might suggest you see if Cruz Roja is in your area. So many people around Lakeside cannot donate because of age, medications, etc. You might also speak with a doctor for suggestions. You always need to know where to go to donate.

Buena suerte.

robt65

Jun 24, 2010, 11:09 AM

Post #6 of 14 (13891 views)

Shortcut

Hello Again Abrria,

What I am suggesting here is aside from Rojo Cruz is to set one up soley for Ex Pats. I think this would be a neat project for you to start. It shouldn't be a big thing to do and pople who wished could sign p on their own. That information could be deleated if necessary by the potential donor and there would be a ready made "bank soley for Ex PAts and / or their friends as any Ex Pat would feel the urge to donate.

Abrria

Jun 26, 2010, 2:06 PM

Post #7 of 14 (13781 views)

Shortcut

I am not sure I understand what you mean by having a "blood bank" solely for ex-pats.

robt65

Jun 26, 2010, 3:29 PM

Post #8 of 14 (13766 views)

Shortcut

Abrria,

Sorry, I should have made myself more clear. there are so many of us "Ex Pats" here in Mexico and one only has to read the number of viewers on many different subjects and one can see that the numbers are great. Through this media it would be possible for someone to reach not only the Ex Pats on here but also any others living in Mexico who read this forum. What I am saying is that it is a resource that is not really "tapped", well. I did not intend for it to sound that I meant only for Ex Pats to give or receive. Many of us have family and friends who are Mexican and other nationalities and if any of us have a need for blood fast this would be a good avenue to explore here. If anyone here reading of a need then they could respond or not respond as they would. That is what I was trying to "spit out" but I did it in haste and did not really read what someone "could" have "read into" what I was saying. I hope it is more clear now.

bournemouth

Jun 27, 2010, 7:01 AM

Post #9 of 14 (13733 views)

Shortcut

The restrictions on who may donate blood in Mexico are severe and most expats are not elegible, just on age alone.

robt65

Jun 27, 2010, 7:38 AM

Post #10 of 14 (13725 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] FRIEND NEEDS BLOOD

I wasn't aware of that. You mean over a certain age one cannot donate healthy blood? I wonder why? What is the reason behind that restriction bournemouth? Seems odd.

Robt65

Rolly

Jun 27, 2010, 7:45 AM

Post #11 of 14 (13719 views)

Shortcut

Same in the USA where 60 is the upper age limit.

Rolly Pirate

NEOhio1

Jun 27, 2010, 7:50 AM

Post #12 of 14 (13714 views)

Shortcut

Since most blood collection is done by private business the restrictions do vary. Our experience has been that age is a significant factor and varies from not over 55, 60, 62. No tattoos, ever, even really old service tattoos let alone the newer decorative ones. No cancer, even skin cancer that has been taken care of. No medications, none - one place says no vitamins or supplements. No surgeries in past 5 years, one place was 7 years. No alcohol for how ever many days....

The upshot is that you can have all the best intentions to help with blood and it can be discarded for any reason the business deems it as unusable.

Basically the expat population in the Chapala area is ineligible on many points.

robt65

Jun 27, 2010, 8:01 AM

Post #13 of 14 (13710 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NEOhio1] FRIEND NEEDS BLOOD

Very informative. Almost sounds like the Mexican blood banks are providing better quality blood (potential less problems) than NOB banks. I used to donate a lot. Once I went on some medications, that prevented me giving NOB that stopped my giving. Haven't really kept up with it since then. I never stop learning more and more about Mexico. Thanks for the education . . . . . again.

Robt65

NEOhio1

Jun 27, 2010, 8:14 AM

Post #14 of 14 (13707 views)

Shortcut

I don't think the term 'blood bank' would be appropriate for these businesses - maybe the hospital connected ones have a 'bank' of sorts, but these private places are collection points for specific cases. You give them the name and doctor and hospital of the person for whom you are donating.

This is the only way we have done it, YMMV, since there are lots of ways to do things here.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4