Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

Ricardo Bueyhombre

Jun 21, 2010, 2:21 PM

Post #1 of 14 (15970 views)

Shortcut

Environmental issues in Morelia

Can't Post | Private Reply
If someone can comment on what the groundwater and air quality are like in Morelia, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, my family would like to know if there are MANY cell towers in and around Morelia emitting radiation. Finally, any comment on the availability of organic produce or the quality of regular produce would be appreciated. Ricardo Bueyhombre. P.S. In considering relocation there, we're naturally interested in anything that might have to do with development plans too. http://oxtogrind.org/archive/650 has our direct contact info.

Rolly

Jun 21, 2010, 3:31 PM

Post #2 of 14 (15946 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ricardo Bueyhombre] Environmental issues in Morelia

The cell phone revolution has take México by storm, so there are cell towers all over the place.

Public water supplies are highly suspect in most cities.

Good quality produce is widely available, but organic farming is not a common concept, unless the use of human and animal waste meets your criteria as "organic."

Rolly Pirate

Peter

Jun 21, 2010, 4:15 PM

Post #3 of 14 (15935 views)

Shortcut

Do they really plan development in Mexico? It looks like it comes together kind of haphazzard. I live in the Centro of Morelia and I have to stand by the window to get a signal in my Telcel, there is a weak signal indoors on my Unefon but it's usable, and I get a full-strength signal indoors with my Movistar. From that I'd judge Carlos Slim needs another cell tower.

The produce is good, Michoacán is an agricultural state. The organic stuff is good, I've tried the artificial kind but just can't swallow it. The ground beef I get is very good but maybe too lean for many of the usual American type uses, take a sniff of the weekend special ground beef from El Matador, the price is good but I think they may be grinding the week's scraps. The ground water I am able to use for cooking but it's a little "watery" - it's sweet tasting and fresh but I'd recommend bottled water for drinking. I am kind of a heavy smoker so the only complaints I get about the air is just the stuff in my immediate vicinity. Along that line I'll add that it is sometimes difficult to find certain American brand products like 5-Day deodorant, the stuff I get here is only good for about 72 hours, tops.

esperanza

Jun 21, 2010, 4:26 PM

Post #4 of 14 (15929 views)

Shortcut

I live in Morelia and wrote you a long reply, about air quality, the paper mill, organic produce, supermarkets, locavore shopping and eating, tianguis, etc. And when I hit "Reply", I received a message that your post no longer existed. Weird, because here it obviously is. Nonetheless, my long post disappeared and I just don't have what it takes to re-write it all.

Read my web page, link below, for some insights re Morelia.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Peter

Jun 21, 2010, 5:20 PM

Post #5 of 14 (15917 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Environmental issues in Morelia

And when I hit "Reply"...

I hate when that happens. It happened a lot when MC changed servers. I got used to using ctrl-C to store my page before sending. It saved me a lot of rewriting.

Ricardo Bueyhombre

Jun 21, 2010, 7:34 PM

Post #6 of 14 (15887 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Environmental issues in Morelia

Thanks to one and all for responding. As I await direct private responses from a couple of you, permit me to ask the general readership if NOISE is a big problem in Morelia. My partner was in Morelia a very long time ago. We're wondering if the aircraft and traffic, or construction, etc. poses a problem. If you answering, please respond in terms of the potential problem for hyper-sensitive souls. Best, Ricardo

Rolly

Jun 21, 2010, 7:46 PM

Post #7 of 14 (15885 views)

Shortcut

Traffic, construction, etc are sometimes problems, but the real problem will be your neighbors. Loud, late night music and parties are common. There are few noise control ordinances. México is a loud country. If you have problems with that, México may not be a good fit for you.

Rolly Pirate

Peter

Jun 21, 2010, 8:04 PM

Post #8 of 14 (15875 views)

Shortcut

I second what Rolly said, Mexico is a noisy country. Loud music and fiestas go on all the time. Even if you get into a "quiet" neighborhood the temples will launch fireworks, skyrockets, and generally make a lot of noise. Then when Mexico or your home team wins a futbol game... Hypersensitive to noise? This is not the place for you.

esperanza

Jun 21, 2010, 8:18 PM

Post #9 of 14 (15867 views)

Shortcut

We do sometimes hear helicopters flying overhead; President Calderón is from here and visits Morelia fairly frequently and we believe the helicopter noise to be from the government.

We live a block from the southern periférico and hear very little traffic noise; there are several hospitals nearby, so we do hear occasional ambulance sirens.

Our neighbors are not noisy, although there is a restaurant/bar a few blocks from us that plays music till about 2AM--sometimes, but not always. It's never loud enough to keep us awake.

Construction noise has never been a problem in our older, settled neighborhood.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

TigerTonio

Jun 22, 2010, 6:01 AM

Post #10 of 14 (15829 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Environmental issues in Morelia

"If you answering, please respond in terms of the potential problem for hyper-sensitive souls."

From one hyper-sensitive soul to another (in terms of noise), I have a feeling there are few cities that are going to accommodate your wishes. As Rolly mentioned -- Mexico is a loud country. Heck, I just returned from a trip to Guanajuato and people were singing until 3am outside my hotel! All that said, my partner and I live in a quiet neighborhood just outside of Morelia and we also -- believe it or not -- have a very quiet apartment in Mexico City. Pockets of tranquility do exist but you have to take the time to seek them out .

Hound Dog

Jun 22, 2010, 6:47 AM

Post #11 of 14 (15822 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Environmental issues in Morelia

Good quality produce is widely available, but organic farming is not a common concept, unless the use of human and animal waste meets your criteria as "organic."

Funny you mention that, Rolly. I can´t speak for Michoacan but can tell you that "organic" produce in Chiapas, at least in the high mountain Jovel Valley (San Cristóbal de Las Casas) can and often does mean veggies grown in what I hear the Chinese call "night soil" or untreated human and animal waste and that method of vegetable cultivation can make the consumer sick - actually very sick indeed . In Chiapas, and I´ll bet Michoacan as well, things are not always as they seem to be on the surface. If you are going to eat produce touted as "organic", know your source.

Maesonna

Jun 22, 2010, 7:37 PM

Post #12 of 14 (15766 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TigerTonio] Environmental issues in Morelia

To the noise sources, add dogs and roosters. Visitors always comment on the neighbour's rooster across the street. We never notice him. Also, the annual pilgrimage-to-Chalma party. When the pickup truck unloads the speaker tower a couple of houses over and sets up the sound system in the street, we know we'll be needing ear plugs to sleep that night. Oh, I should mention this isn't Morelia, but Mexico City.

(This post was edited by Maesonna on Jun 22, 2010, 7:39 PM)

Papirex

Jun 23, 2010, 8:52 AM

Post #13 of 14 (15725 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] Environmental issues in Morelia

One of the biggest, bittersweet jokes here in Cuernavaca is that just as you reach the city on the libre there is a sign that says “silencio obligatorio”. No one knows why the money was wasted to erect that sign.

Nighttime noise is not all pervasive here, but it exists, as just about everywhere in México.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Manuel Dexterity

Jun 23, 2010, 9:24 AM

Post #14 of 14 (15723 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] Environmental issues in Morelia

In Reply To

One of the biggest, bittersweet jokes here in Cuernavaca is that just as you reach the city on the libre there is a sign that says "silencio obligatorio". No one knows why the money was wasted to erect that sign

It probably says "silenciador obligatorio" which means truckers can't use their exhaust brakes. And we all know how loud those brakes are.

(This post was edited by Manuel Dexterity on Jun 23, 2010, 9:28 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4