First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Manuel Dexterity

Jun 21, 2010, 5:05 AM

Post #26 of 35 (4751 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Best beach to travel to in September/October

Can't Post | Private Reply

In Reply To
Who's to say what the weather may do? Typically the rains will just give you a short daily shower with the rest of the day being nice and sunny. By September the rains are about done but that is when one of those off-season storms can kick up and do something unexpected. Pacific side to avoid hurricanes.

Well the truth is September on the Pacific Coast is usually the wettest month and the rains usually come from the tropical weather formed offshore. It is actually the height of the Pacific hurricane season. They form in the Gulf of Tehuantepec and head NW paralleling the coast before they run out of steam over the open ocean . Storms are still common in October.

Unlike the Atlantic side, hurricanes on the Pacific normally stay a ways offshore so the heavy winds are avoided for the most part but drenching rains can last for several days. Seas will be running high though so the surf can be pounding along the beaches.

A plus is the lush greenery. What is always attractive scenery becomes spectacular with the rains.

Manuel Dexterity

Jun 21, 2010, 5:25 AM

Post #27 of 35 (4748 views)

Shortcut

Re: [aussietraveller10] Best beach to travel to in September/October

In Reply To

Thanks for such a beautiful photo. Where is this beach exactly? I cannot seem to find it anywhere?

The beach is south of Puerto Vallarta approx 120km. This particular beach offers no accomodations but nearby Careyes which has its own lovely beaches has what you are looking for although a bit pricey.

If you use Google Earth check out Careyes, Tenacatita and Tamarindo which are all on the Jalisco coast.

Here is another shot of Careyitos, taken from the opposite end of the beach:

Hound Dog

Jun 21, 2010, 7:24 AM

Post #28 of 35 (4730 views)

Shortcut

Don't pay too much attention to hound dog amd his dubious tastes. You'll find nothing this pretty on the Caribe or the Gulf.

Playa Careyitos, Jalisco coast

Thanks for such a beautiful photo. Where is this beach exactly? I cannot seem to find it anywhere?

Nobody else can either but I can tell you this, you will be on the lonely Costa Alegre which is good and would have to fly into Manzanillo or maybe Puerto Vallarta to get there in any reasonable period of time. This place is kind of isolated but that is a beautiful coast so maybe we´ll sell that San Cristóbal property and buy in that area next to Manuelito.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Jun 21, 2010, 7:25 AM)

Peter

Jun 21, 2010, 7:33 AM

Post #29 of 35 (4725 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Manuel Dexterity] Best beach to travel to in September/October

Well the truth is September on the Pacific Coast is usually the wettest month and the rains usually come from the tropical weather formed offshore. It is actually the height of the Pacific hurricane season. They form in the Gulf of Tehuantepec and head NW paralleling the coast before they run out of steam over the open ocean . Storms are still common in October.

Unlike the Atlantic side, hurricanes on the Pacific normally stay a ways offshore so the heavy winds are avoided for the most part but drenching rains can last for several days. Seas will be running high though so the surf can be pounding along the beaches.

You're right. I was drawing on my own experiences of things getting unpredictable around September, but right, those are the storms that can become hurricanes.

The worst I've experienced myself was an afternoon storm that continued all night and knocked over a couple trees in the town of Caleta and across the highway going to Nexpa. The run-off from the rivers had turned the ocean water to chocolate. The next day was sunny and the swimmers were back in the water despite its murky brown color.

tashby

Jun 21, 2010, 8:40 AM

Post #30 of 35 (4709 views)

Shortcut

Ahhh, memories.

During the late 1980's, when I was young and oblivious, we enjoyed a weeklong holiday on Cozumel. It was September. The day we were checking out of our hotel to return to the U.S., it was raining incredibly hard. A young couple who was just checking in to the hotel to start their vacation asked us, concerned, if the weather had been bad during our stay. "No, no," we assured them. "It'll rain like this for an hour or so in the afternoon, then clear up and be beautiful."

A couple days later, Hurricane Gilbert arrived.

Oops.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Gilbert

Peter

Jun 21, 2010, 10:26 AM

Post #31 of 35 (4688 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Best beach to travel to in September/October

While the mainland can take some hits it seems the peninsulas catch most of it. Isn't it the Yucatan and the tip of Baja the ones that usually get clobbered by the hurricanes and gale-force winds?

I don't mind being a little off the mark if it prompts someone to post better information.

(This post was edited by Peter on Jun 21, 2010, 10:41 AM)

Manuel Dexterity

Jun 21, 2010, 11:28 AM

Post #32 of 35 (4674 views)

Shortcut

That is true of the tip of Baja for the most part because it lies within the NW route of the storm. Typically the land mass on the Pacific side and its accompanying high barometric pressure fends off the storm. The times when they due turn inland is because of a low pressure area sitting over land.

The Yucatan happens to be right between the Carribean and the Gulf of Mexico. Its flat terrain doesn't help either. A Pacific storm will blow itself out quickly on the mountains while the Atlantic storms will move further inland.

Goyo

Jun 22, 2010, 4:35 PM

Post #33 of 35 (4620 views)

Shortcut

September into October is hurricane season as many have said so you will only be able to avoid rain by luck. But the storms can be very interesting and sometimes exciting.

My suggestions to you are three different towns/beaches north of Puerto Vallarta. And being in proximity of PV makes travel easy. The towns/beaches are, and you can google for more info:

South to North... in Nayarit state -

San Francisco aka San Pancho

Lo de Marcos

Chacala

RickS

Jun 22, 2010, 8:35 PM

Post #34 of 35 (4594 views)

Shortcut

see this website..... http://www.tomatlense.com/costalegreenglish.html

(This post was edited by RickS on Jun 22, 2010, 8:36 PM)

Camille

Jun 27, 2010, 3:53 PM

Post #35 of 35 (4503 views)

Shortcut

Looks like maybe just a tad south of Rincon de Guayabitos to me.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4