First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

aussietraveller10

Jun 19, 2010, 7:36 AM

Post #1 of 35 (20880 views)

Shortcut

Best beach to travel to in September/October

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello,

My husband and I are planning a trip to the United States and Mexico in September & October this year. We would like to end the trip with a week on a beach in Mexico but after many hours or research we cannot decide where to go to based on many questions.

We are looking for a town with a clean beach that you can swim in, with the vibe of a traditional Mexican village (not having to be on an all-inclusive package) without high rise buildings like in Cancun. Nevertheless, we would like accommodation with air conditioning, standard amenities and and a pool if possible.

In regards to hurricanes and rain, I have read many mixed reports of the weather in Mexico during late September/early October. We would obviously like a place sunny away from the rain :)

The places I have found that look interesting are: (Yes I know there a many!)

Yucatán Peninsula:
Playa del Carmen
Tulum

Baja California:
Cabo San Lucas

Central Pacific coast:
Puerto Vallarta
Sayulita
Los Ayala
Rincon de Guayabitos
La Penita
Chacala

Oaxaca State:
Puerto Escondido
Puerto Ángel
Zipolite

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

(This post was edited by aussietraveller10 on Jun 19, 2010, 6:04 PM)

Rolly

Jun 19, 2010, 8:58 AM

Post #2 of 35 (20860 views)

Shortcut

Re: [aussietraveller10] Best beach to travel to in September/October

I vote for the Pacific side. Baja is OK. I like the mainland side better. There are many good places from Mazatlán south to Manzanillo.

Rolly Pirate

chicois8

Jun 19, 2010, 9:16 AM

Post #3 of 35 (20853 views)

Shortcut

G'day, you mention:
"We would obviously like a place sunny away from the rain"

Well it is the rainy season, where I stay in Rincon de Guayabitos it is usually sunny each day and around 4 PM it may rain for about an hour then sunny...( hot and humid) and other times it can rain all night.........

Guayabitos does meet a lot of your criteria, a good swimmable beach, no high rise, only 40 miles from Puerto Vallarta airport,
no timeshare sales persons, affordable lodging (many on the beach), more a Mexican resort town...good luck
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

DavidHF

Jun 19, 2010, 9:34 AM

Post #4 of 35 (20845 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Best beach to travel to in September/October

I suggest Zihuatanejo.

Hound Dog

Jun 19, 2010, 9:49 AM

Post #5 of 35 (20845 views)

Shortcut

Both September and October can be hurricane season but you will improve your chances of missing any tropical storms by spending your beach time later in October.

These Places We Recommend:
Isla Holbox, Quntana Roo
Puerto Morelos or Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo
Telchac Puerto, Yucatan
Mismaloya Area, Jalisco (just south of Puerto Vallarta) - the sea there may have a high bacterial count but this is, in our opinion, the most beautiful area around Puerto Vallarta. Others may disagree.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Jun 19, 2010, 10:17 AM)

tashby

Jun 19, 2010, 10:54 AM

Post #6 of 35 (20831 views)

Shortcut

The most important first step in narrowing it down is choosing between the Caribbean side and the Pacific side. If you absolutely desire powder white sandy beaches and turquoise clear water, you've chosen the the east coast.

After you've chosen which side, then you can start narrowing down the destinations. Part of it also depends on which beach airport in Mexico you'll have easiest access to depending upon where you're coming from in the U.S. I've been to every beach on your list with the exception of the Oaxaca destinations. They're all different, even the six you list in the Central Pacific section.

P.S. And yes, try to push it as far into October (or November!) as possible, if possible.

(This post was edited by tashby on Jun 19, 2010, 10:55 AM)

Vichil

Jun 19, 2010, 12:10 PM

Post #7 of 35 (20816 views)

Shortcut

All these dstinations are very different from each other. The Yucatan alone has very different type of locations. The beaches there are very white and the water beautiful, some of the beaches have a lot of corals some do not. The gulf has very pretty beaches and funky villages. The cancun Tulum Majuhual has everything from fancy places near Cancun to beaches in small town and villages to out of the way eco- lodges.

The Pacific waters are much rougher and better for surfers. The beaches tend to have from golden to darker sand , rough water in non protected coves and smaller beaches. You can have some very large beaches like Zipolite as well.
In Oaxaca Huatulco has several bays and beaches, the town tends to be a little more upscale than the rest of the towns around. There are many beaches around from touristy and rustic like Puerto Angel which is a fishing town with tourism to pretty isolated and non touristy like San Agustin (not Agustinillo) to very hippy like Zipolite(clothing optional) including funky French and Italian restaurants and mostly palapa hotels to very "eco" oriented like Mazunte (it is next to Zipolite) with huge beaches and rough surf to more fashionable with a rustic side like Puerto Escondido.

Huatulco or Puerto Escondido have a lot of houses for rent from very fancy to very humble, the other towns are more on the rustic side but you can also find some nice rentals.
In that time of the year you do not have to commit in advance and can decide when you get there.

All the places you mention have their pluses and minuses, it all depends on what you are really looking for.

The climate will probably hot and humid with some rain and maybe hurricanes but it is very bearable if you have a place on the water and a bedroom with A/C.
The later you go in the season the less chances of hurricanes or rain.

In Playa del Carmen,if you want to be away from the crowd and have a car look into La casa de Los Angeles. (it has electricity from a generator ) You can go to town when you feel like it but do not have to be in it if you do not want to.
I also like Puerto Morelos.
I guess I am not the right person to advise you on beaches as I cannot stand them more than three days in a row...

Peter

Jun 19, 2010, 1:27 PM

Post #8 of 35 (20806 views)

Shortcut

For what you say you are looking for I would have to second the suggestion for Zihuatanejo. It is quieter, less expensive, and more "Mexican" that next door resort of Ixtapa which has the high-rises and package deals.

Then if the spillover into Zihuatanejo has gotten to be a bit too much you are very close to Michoacán beaches. Playa Azul is near exactly as you describe and has a couple nice hotels that have all the comforts, while most of the town is just a nice, clean and smooth sand beach with a lot of more basic accomodations. There is a shipwreck of a Norwegian freighter up the coast that you can walk to along the beach and back in much under an hour if you want to get a closer look at that large ship overturned on a sandbar.

Then up the coast about 50 km from Playa Azul is Nexpa. Nexpa is not a nice swimming or wading beach as it is just too gravelly, but it is a terrific surf spot. By the mouth of the Nexpa river you will see a number of surfers taking some very excellent rides on left-breaking waves that on a good day typically last 8-12 seconds with some going over 20. I always run into many Aussie surfers that come to ride Nexpa. You can get a two-story cabaña with kitchenette and beds for several people for around $350mx per night or cheaper by the week. Note: Many charge more for their cabañas but if you are at the end of the road, park and walk to the beach, then just a few cabañas to the north, painted blue, with a small restaurant in the complex, find Villa Cheyo's and get that better price.

Hound Dog

Jun 19, 2010, 5:08 PM

Post #9 of 35 (20766 views)

Shortcut

My husband and I are planning a trip to the United States and Mexico in September & October this year. We would like to end the trip with a week on a beach in Mexico but after many hours or research we cannot decide where to go to based on many questions.

Considering the great and varied beauty of beaches and often crystal clear aquamarine waters in Australia, why would one fly so far to go to Mexican beaches which, in general, are not worthy of the arduous journey compared with where you live at present? Latin American ambience? OK; I get it, you were coming to North America anyway so why not? I would concentrate on the Yucatan Peninsula including the Gulf and Caribbean if I were you.

tashby

Jun 19, 2010, 6:21 PM

Post #10 of 35 (20744 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Best beach to travel to in September/October

I would concentrate on the Yucatan Peninsula including the Gulf and Caribbean if I were you.

And I would do exactly the opposite. I'm a confirmed Pacific-sider.

The important thing though is that, as pointed out, there are big differences between all the magnificent beaches of Mexico. The folks from Australia need to let everyone know a little bit more about what floats their beach experience.

Then they, too, can discover that Hound Dog has inferior taste.

aussietraveller10

Jun 19, 2010, 6:40 PM

Post #11 of 35 (20734 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Best beach to travel to in September/October

In Reply To
"The most important first step in narrowing it down is choosing between the Caribbean side and the Pacific side."
From what I have seen the Caribbean side looks more appealing from a beach holiday perspecive however I have heard this area is more prone to rain during Sept/Oct.

"depending upon where you're coming from in the U.S."
We will be flying into Mexico from NYC and flying back to LA.

"P.S. And yes, try to push it as far into October (or November!) as possible, if possible."
We cannot as our flight back to Australia is on the 2nd October!

aussietraveller10

Jun 19, 2010, 6:43 PM

Post #12 of 35 (20731 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

I would concentrate on the Yucatan Peninsula including the Gulf and Caribbean if I were you.

And I would do exactly the opposite. I'm a confirmed Pacific-sider.

The important thing though is that, as pointed out, there are big differences between all the magnificent beaches of Mexico. The folks from Australia need to let everyone know a little bit more about what floats their beach experience.

Then they, too, can discover that Hound Dog has inferior taste.

For us a beach experience is one with sunshine, beautiful surroundings, clean, swimmable water, great food, nice people and culture. Other then that we are not too fussed where we are in the world!

tashby

Jun 19, 2010, 6:48 PM

Post #13 of 35 (20726 views)

Shortcut

Then from NYC you should definitely fly into Cancun.....and from there fly Cancun to L.A.

Simple pimple.

Now. You're just using that airport in Cancun to head to......a much better beach!

DavidHF

Jun 19, 2010, 8:42 PM

Post #14 of 35 (20709 views)

Shortcut

Cancun is a city of 650,000 created from nothing to gather tourist dollars. There's no Mexico and no "village" there any longer. It's the same for 100 miles south. Tulum was nothing but an archeological site but now it's mega hotels and condos. Qroo has beautiful sand and water but no Mexico any longer. If you want Mexico you must visit the west coast. I'll stand by my recommendation of Zihuatenejo.

Peter

Jun 19, 2010, 9:27 PM

Post #15 of 35 (20700 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] Best beach to travel to in September/October

If you want Mexico you must visit the west coast. I'll stand by my recommendation of Zihuatenejo.

And I stand by my second on Zihuatanejo. Guerrero has beautiful beaches and I've been to just about every popular or secluded beach in Guerrero from Petacalco to Zihuatanejo (a relatively short distance but it took a lot of trips and time to cover it). Very Mexican and great seafood.

Hound Dog

Jun 20, 2010, 1:09 PM

Post #16 of 35 (20643 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] Best beach to travel to in September/October

Cancun is a city of 650,000 created from nothing to gather tourist dollars. There's no Mexico and no "village" there any longer. It's the same for 100 miles south. Tulum was nothing but an archeological site but now it's mega hotels and condos. Qroo has beautiful sand and water but no Mexico any longer. If you want Mexico you must visit the west coast. I'll stand by my recommendation of Zihuatenejo.

The new city of Cancun developed to service the "hotel zone", is as Mexican as you can get although literally a scruffy boom town. There are other numerous towns along the extensive Quintana Roo Caribbean coast between Cabo Catoche and Xcalac that are worth visiting and which retain their Mexican character without having been spoiled by foreign influences. Go back a few meters from the beach and you will find the purest of Mexicans or, actually. pre-Mexicans who originally sold or leased their beach lands for bags of rhinestones and some inland jungle plots just as did the indigenous who sold Manhattan Island to the Dutch.

The Pacific can´t hold a candle to the Gulf and Caribbean in Mexicio - especially for an Aussie.

roni_smith

Jun 20, 2010, 1:32 PM

Post #17 of 35 (20632 views)

Shortcut

I like the Caribbean for beach vacationing. We are staying a block from the beach in Playa del Carmen in a 1 bedroom apartment in a five unit building for about $60 US a night this coming November. After 5 nights there we're off for 10 nights in Merida - but we like to start our vacations with some decompression time at the beach.

Staying in Playa and taking a couple of easy beach day trips (there are multiple beach clubs on the Tulum beach road - the LaPlaya club at Xpu-ha, not far south of Playa is delightful).
------
Planning for Mexico Move Blog

Hound Dog

Jun 20, 2010, 3:02 PM

Post #18 of 35 (20610 views)

Shortcut

husband and I are planning a trip to the United States and Mexico in September & October this year. We would like to end the trip with a week on a beach in Mexico but after many hours or research we cannot decide where to go to based on many questions.

I must reiterate; if you are from Australia, you cannot beat the magnificent beaches you already have in your home country by coming to North America so, I, once again add a place I recently deleted because my wife objected that it was unworthy of beachcombers seeking beaches upon which to vacation in Mexico. If you are serious, forget all those tourist oriented places mentioned above and head for the Soconusco Coast between Tonalá and Tapachula, Chiapas. 90% of those responding to your inquiry don´t even know of this wonderful place. Their loss; your gain.This coast is what Mexico was before it was exploited and desecrated by developers. A wild and rural coast inhabited by fishermen and cattle ranchers and farmers. A find if you take the time.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Jun 20, 2010, 3:03 PM)

Vichil

Jun 20, 2010, 4:53 PM

Post #19 of 35 (20579 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Best beach to travel to in September/October

Sorry dear but the best hotels in Puerto Arista are lousy not a place to go to unless you have been living in Mexico for a while. If I want rustic the Oaxaca coast beat the Soconusco any day and it has some nice places as well.

(This post was edited by Vichil on Jun 20, 2010, 4:56 PM)

Manuel Dexterity

Jun 20, 2010, 7:15 PM

Post #20 of 35 (20550 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] Best beach to travel to in September/October

Don't pay too much attention to hound dog amd his dubious tastes. You'll find nothing this pretty on the Caribe or the Gulf.

Playa Careyitos, Jalisco coast

Vichil

Jun 20, 2010, 8:02 PM

Post #21 of 35 (20531 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Manuel Dexterity] Best beach to travel to in September/October

We love that area too, the isolation and the surf. HD has to be bitching about something to be happy so you cannot pay much attention to him.

Beautiful picture of a beautiful place.

tashby

Jun 20, 2010, 9:07 PM

Post #22 of 35 (20524 views)

Shortcut

Dear auusietraveller10,

Forgive these old cantankerous "Experts" farting out their favorite beach destinations in Mexico. We all have favorites.....we're all sure of our opinions.

But none of us are flying all the way from Mars (I mean, Australia) to Hell (I mean, the USA). From what you've posted it sounds like you're simply trying to squeeze in a pleasant beach holiday toward the end of our trip across the planet.

Here's my advice: Every single major beach resort airport in Mexico offers easy access to a pleasant beach experience in a smaller, less developed, more chill town/village.

Pick the airport/flight that works best given your NYC-->Mexcio-->LAX triangle. Especially since you have to get back to Australia (I mean, Mars) immediately after your beach holiday.

There are pleasant beach towns all over Mexico....usually just 30-40 minutes away from any beach resort airport. Really!

aussietraveller10

Jun 20, 2010, 10:56 PM

Post #23 of 35 (20507 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Dear auusietraveller10,

From what you've posted it sounds like you're simply trying to squeeze in a pleasant beach holiday toward the end of our trip across the planet.

Here's my advice: Every single major beach resort airport in Mexico offers easy access to a pleasant beach experience in a smaller, less developed, more chill town/village.

You have got it spot on. All we are looking for is a nice week on a beach to end our USA trip which will give us a unique Mexican, cultural experience. Different from our planet Mars! :)

The reason for my post was to get peoples opinions of nice beach towns, close to airports which are least subject to the rains and hurricanes in September.

And as you said it, I am sure any of the towns we pick we will enjoy now it is just the tough decision deciding which one!

aussietraveller10

Jun 20, 2010, 11:01 PM

Post #24 of 35 (20503 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Manuel Dexterity] Best beach to travel to in September/October

In Reply To
Don't pay too much attention to hound dog amd his dubious tastes. You'll find nothing this pretty on the Caribe or the Gulf.

Playa Careyitos, Jalisco coast

Thanks for such a beautiful photo. Where is this beach exactly? I cannot seem to find it anywhere?

Peter

Jun 21, 2010, 12:47 AM

Post #25 of 35 (20494 views)

Shortcut

Who's to say what the weather may do? Typically the rains will just give you a short daily shower with the rest of the day being nice and sunny. By September the rains are about done but that is when one of those off-season storms can kick up and do something unexpected. Pacific side to avoid hurricanes.

I love the beaches, grew up in a coastal town in Southern California, and I visit the coast somewhat regularly here. But beach towns have a beach culture. For the best Mexican experience try one of the colonial cities in the central highlands sometime.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4