Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

Peter

Jun 17, 2010, 9:44 AM

Post #1 of 7 (5582 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mom2dogs] learning Spanish

Can't Post | Private Reply
From level zero there is much to memorize and learn, many people suggest placing tags on everyday items as an aid to learning what they called.

At the next level, learning grammar and putting together sentences, English speakers are disadvantaged because we are used to verb forms that do not change. You will need to learn verb conjugations, how they change for first person, second, and third, and the corresponding plural forms - in present, past, and future tenses. Then be aware there are other tenses at a more advanced level.

I suggest with computer learning aids you find something with much emphasis on developing listening skills. I had one program, I don't recall the name of it, that placed you as a contestant on a quiz show against an opponent that wasn't too swift either. The MC would ask a simple question in Spanish and you would "ring in" and answer a multiple choice. It was fun and it helped. The same program also gave simple maps and would give you directions verbally in Spanish and you had to find the destination and note it on the map.

Good luck. It does not come overnight. It is a lot of hard work and takes much time. Don't get discouraged.

Some time back I posted alternatives to the language schools for intermediate students. As a single male at that time I found going to cantinas or Men's clubs that offered female company at your table for the cost of over-priced drinks. I found it cheaper and more effective than language schools. Do not scoff at alcohol-induced fluency, it works.

Rolly

Jun 17, 2010, 11:08 AM

Post #2 of 7 (5576 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mom2dogs] learning Spanish

Take a look here: http://rollybrook.com/...g_spanish_online.htm

Rolly Pirate

Rolly

Jun 17, 2010, 11:19 AM

Post #3 of 7 (5568 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] learning Spanish

There is some excellent information here: http://www.learnspanishcenter.com/reviews/

Rolly Pirate

Glenn

Jun 17, 2010, 1:50 PM

Post #4 of 7 (5549 views)

Shortcut

Thanks to both of you for your tips. I really appreciate them and will start a labeling process.
Rolly, Rocket Spanish got the highest rating. Do you know anyone that has used this program to learn Spanish?

Glenn

Jun 17, 2010, 1:53 PM

Post #5 of 7 (5549 views)

Shortcut

Rolly
I'm working my way through the long list you sent me--at least the best of them. It will take me a while to get through them. Thanks

ken_in_dfw

Jun 17, 2010, 9:52 PM

Post #6 of 7 (5529 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Glenn] learning Spanish

Can't Post |
Whichever system you decide on for learning grammar and vocabulary, the Destinos series that Rolly has linked (learner.org) is excellent. The more I am around people who are successful at learning another language, the more convinced I have become that it is critical to hear and see how another uses the language - hence, why TV-based instruction is so successful.

One of my best friends lives in Belgium, where everyone speaks at least 3 languages - bare minimum. She said that they learn by watching TV shows that are captioned from another language. They also get grammatical support in school, but the critical success factor, according to my friend, are the captioned TV programs.

¡Ojalá que tenga Ud. buen éxito en sus lecciones! Best of luck in your lessons!

mom2dogs

Jun 18, 2010, 5:12 AM

Post #7 of 7 (5519 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ken_in_dfw] learning Spanish

Excellent suggestion. Thanks. I'll set my tv for that and start watching spanish channels.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4