First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

mensamia

Jun 15, 2010, 7:25 AM

Post #1 of 40 (5686 views)

Shortcut

driver warning - Canadian killed, carjacking Coahuila

| Private Reply
Canadian killed... to stop or not to stop Quote | Reply | Private Reply
for those of you driving home or back and coming by way of Coahuila...

By Diana Mehta, The Canadian Press
TORONTO - Friends are confirming a Canadian man has been shot to death by gunmen in Mexico.

They say Kenneth Klowak was killed by armed men after he refused to stop at a road block last Wednesday.

Mexican magazine Proceso says Klowak was shot and killed by gunmen in the town of Allende, a town near the Mexico-U.S. border in the state of Coahuila, some 65 kilometres from Eagle Pass, Texas.

Wayne Biegel, who heard the news from a friend of Klowak's parents, says the 43-year-old was in Mexico building bike trails for his employer.

He says Klowak, who is from Mansfield, Ont., a town about an hour's drive northwest of Toronto, was an avid biker who constructed trails for his employer in Jamaica for the past two years.

Biegel, from the nearby town of Orangeville, says Klowak was due to visit his parents in Ontario at the end of the month.

He called his friend of more than 20 years a passive and well-liked gentleman who wouldn't upset anyone.

"I spoke to him a week and a half ago," Biegel said in an interview. "He was very happy, he was looking forward to ... coming back to Ontario."

The Department of Foreign Affairs in Ottawa confirmed it was aware of the death of a Canadian citizen in the region of Piedras Negras, Mexico, but did not release any names.

Spokeswoman Dana Cryderman said a second Canadian citizen who was also part of the group excursion has been reported unharmed.

"Canadian consular officials in Monterrey and Mexico City are working closely with local authorities to gather additional information, and are providing consular assistance to the family," Cryderman said.

"Due to privacy considerations, no further information is available at this time."

Biegel said Klowak and a co-worker were driving through the region when they came across a barricade put up by armed individuals.

According to Biegel, Klowak was chased by the gunmen as he charged through the road block but lost control of his vehicle before it rolled into a ditch.

"The gunmen then got out of their vehicle and shot him twice in the head."

Biegel says Klowak's job of building trails had appeared to be a safe one in the past.

"He never explained any kind of danger to me," he said. "Oh God, it's devastating."
A funeral for Klowak is scheduled for Thursday in Orangeville, Ont.

chinagringo

Jun 15, 2010, 7:37 AM

Post #2 of 40 (5675 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mensamia] driver warning - Canadian killed, carjacking Coahuila

| Private Reply
The following article provides slightly different details on this incident:

http://www.ctv.ca/...an-in-mexico-100614/
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

mensamia

Jun 15, 2010, 8:05 AM

Post #3 of 40 (5667 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] driver warning - Canadian killed, carjacking Coahuila

| Private Reply
thanks Neil, so the truth is somewhere in between those two reports.

chinagringo

Jun 15, 2010, 8:49 AM

Post #4 of 40 (5654 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Maybe between and maybe outside? After, we are dealing with the media and also with the Mexican government/authorities - so we may just never know!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Hound Dog

Jun 15, 2010, 10:53 AM

Post #5 of 40 (5634 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Canadian killed... to stop or not to stop

Well, of course, you stop. Whether you are in Ontario or Provence or Michoacan or Kansas. A no-brainer.

careyeroslib

Jun 15, 2010, 2:59 PM

Post #6 of 40 (5586 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
As we speak, I'm about 30 minutes from where this man's funeral will be held on Thursday ( in Orangeville, Ontario).

Here's a piece from that town's local paper.

http://www.orangeville.com/...pat-killed-in-mexico

Hound Dog

Jun 15, 2010, 4:20 PM

Post #7 of 40 (5561 views)

Shortcut

Re: [careyeroslib] driver warning - Canadian killed, carjacking Coahuila

| Private Reply
Klowack stuck his neck out and lost it. Dawg travels about all over Mexico as he has all over many parts of the world over some 40 years and knows that around the next bend may await those who would kill him without a second thought. The alternative is sit at home watching Little House of the Prairie reruns and die of congestive heart failure or, even worse, to stay in Canada. Go for it Klowack.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Jun 15, 2010, 5:51 PM)

wendy devlin

Jun 15, 2010, 4:51 PM

Post #8 of 40 (5550 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] driver warning - Canadian killed, carjacking Coahuila

| Private Reply
Bubba, I swear your Internet persona's lack of compassion leaves me speechless.

Although most of what gets written about tragic situations that are happening just about every day, in Mexico, leave me speechless, so don't take the above comment, personally.

On this particular blog:
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2010/06/canadian-citizen-killed-in-coahuila.html?showComment=1276628038885#comment-c3073989835235841914

You can read what friends/family of Ken, think, feel...etc. in response to what has happened, said about their family tragedy in the press and on this particular blog, from people, who know exactly zip about the experience.

Not without irony, note, Shirk wrote. “RIP Bubba, rip some trail for us on the other side.”

Less my post seem, Canadiancentric, I spend plenty of time each day, reading what Mexicans have to say on the comments section to news stories as they break in their particular part of Mexico, their thoughts/feelings and how they are personally affected.

The rolling Twitter on http://www.blogdelnarco.com/
gives a compelling insight into what people want to know, share about what's happening on their streets...balacera...being the most frequently shared word.

Sure...at the Twitter point...such reportings are 'unverified' but read enough Mexican press(still operating without complete black-out)and you'll get to read accounts of the same incidents, 'confirmed', a few hours to days later.

It's hot...it's heavy...and it's very real. For anyone affected personally.

Hound Dog

Jun 15, 2010, 6:14 PM

Post #9 of 40 (5529 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] driver warning - Canadian killed, carjacking Coahuila

| Private Reply
Bubba, I swear your Internet persona's lack of compassion leaves me speechless.

I can see what you mean, Wendy. Forgive my seemingly dispassionate reaction to the death of a fellow immigrant. I find his death tragic and did not intend to seem cold to the event.

Tragic situations happen every day as you acknowleged. Your queen through her irresponsible agents just detroyed my Gulf of Mexico and then her sycophants, expecting the dividends of the elderly dispossed, expressed dismay that those of my ilk having been born and raised on that beautiful sea, were discombobulated by its destruction by corporate agents of our former landlords farting higher than their gass holes.

Give us ex-colonials a break. We are not Canadians thank the lord.

careyeroslib

Jun 15, 2010, 6:25 PM

Post #10 of 40 (5514 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
We, too, have driven alot in Mexico. Maybe more than you have, Hound Dog. You don't know that, nor do you know if this poor guy also had experience. I suspect he did. He had been in Jamaica, was going to Portugal next.

Moreover, he was just trying to help with mountain bike trails.

(I just saw Hound Dog's recent post. All I can do is quote Woody Allen in the movie Manhatten" talking to Wayne: "Excuse me, I'm due back on Planet Earth."" Okee Dokee. Sale Vale).

(This post was edited by careyeroslib on Jun 15, 2010, 6:33 PM)

wendy devlin

Jun 15, 2010, 6:32 PM

Post #11 of 40 (5509 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Ja! Ja! Bubba. My queen.

I'd be la reina, around these parts....jajaaaaaaaa!

Nice try at insult. Pierre, took back the Constitution...way back when. Even shook his limp hand, in a receiving line at Rideau Hall circa 1968.

BP might be a British consortium...but you and I plus the guy down the road, know that international economics passed from the nation state...to whomever...whatever...some decades past.

Who will pay the Piper? You know. Living every day among them.

(This post was edited by wendy devlin on Jun 15, 2010, 6:34 PM)

careyeroslib

Jun 15, 2010, 6:50 PM

Post #12 of 40 (5499 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Sorry to bore people but, regarding Pierre Trudeau (Canadian Prime Minister from 1968 until app. 1984). , I am a long-time Liberal, and thought he was a very good Prime Minister. I didn't start out thinking so, but I came to believe it after much time.

I really do think that people should focus on Mexico. This is our common interest, isn't it? Why insult our other (or previous) political views? We are Liberal, Conservative, NDP, Republican, Democrat, other. Pierre Trudeau did NOT have a limp hand. I danced with him once, at a ball. So there!!!

Hound Dog

Jun 15, 2010, 8:03 PM

Post #13 of 40 (5474 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
That was an amusing, if inconsequential, exchange.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Jun 15, 2010, 8:03 PM)

mensamia

Jun 15, 2010, 8:08 PM

Post #14 of 40 (5464 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] driver warning - Canadian killed, carjacking Coahuila

| Private Reply
Thanks for sharing the blog Wendy. I have been told that I should not post the story of the Canadian who was killed on more than one forum. Sheesh, if I only had time to scan the forum for the region I lived in and didn't think of scanning the other regions, this information would never have been available to me. With this information, at least the reader has a chance to make an informed decision about their route home.

There are people who want this covered up, who want to change the subject or discredit the reporting for their own reasons. We need all the information we can get. I thought the Mexican woman at the end of the comments was really credible. I'm sure some board member will attempt to discredit her also.

Hound Dog

Jun 15, 2010, 8:18 PM

Post #15 of 40 (5461 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
We, too, have driven alot in Mexico. Maybe more than you have, Hound Dog. You don't know that, nor do you know if this poor guy also had experience. I suspect he did. He had been in Jamaica, was going to Portugal next.

Well, at least he got to skip Portugal so some good comes from every non-event. On the other hand, he never had to drive from Tonalá to Puerto Arista which is, in and of itself, a positive.

Lighten up.

mensamia

Jun 15, 2010, 8:29 PM

Post #16 of 40 (5455 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To

Well, at least he got to skip Portugal so some good comes from every non-event. On the other hand, he never had to drive from Tonalá to Puerto Arista which is, in and of itself, a positive.

Lighten up.

Lighten up? Twelve Federal police officers were killed today at a roadblock... in Mexico. Is that light enough for you?

Hound Dog

Jun 15, 2010, 8:56 PM

Post #17 of 40 (5443 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Lighten up? Twelve Federal police officers were killed today at a roadblock... in Mexico. Is that light enough for you?

There is a state of civil war in Mexico today, Memsania, and this war, as in all wars, has areas of conflict more dreadful than others so the massacre of federal officers in Michoacan today does not surprise me. This was not the subject of our discourse. Stay on course or back off.

mensamia

Jun 16, 2010, 8:41 AM

Post #18 of 40 (5382 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
the subject was people being killed. I believe I am still on course.

DavidHF

Jun 16, 2010, 6:14 PM

Post #19 of 40 (5295 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
No, the subject was a Canadian who ran a roadblock being killed. The Federales and Army war on the narcos was never a part of this thread.

I notice that you've beat this topic of the unfortunate Canadian onto multiple threads. Wouldn't one be sufficient?

Rolly

Jun 16, 2010, 6:21 PM

Post #20 of 40 (5294 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] driver warning - Canadian killed, carjacking Coahuila

| Private Reply
"I notice that you've beat this topic of the unfortunate Canadian onto multiple threads. Wouldn't one be sufficient?"

I told her the same thing privately. She didn't take too kindly to my suggestion. She seems a bit hysterical on the subject.

Rolly Pirate

mensamia

Jun 16, 2010, 6:55 PM

Post #21 of 40 (5282 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] driver warning - Canadian killed, carjacking Coahuila

| Private Reply
"I notice that you've beat this topic of the unfortunate Canadian onto multiple threads. Wouldn't one be sufficient?"

Hmm, referring to me or the poster who brought up the oil fields?

"I told her the same thing privately. She didn't take too kindly to my suggestion. She seems a bit hysterical on the subject"

what you told me privately and I still have the message is to not post this subject on more than one forum. You seemed like you wanted to suppress the story. Guess you will suppress this post as you have another of mine.

Peter

Jun 16, 2010, 7:52 PM

Post #22 of 40 (5261 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Where did the carjacking come into play? I couldn't find any referrence to a carjacking of any sort. Wasn't this man shot after charging through a roadblock?

mensamia

Jun 17, 2010, 4:09 AM

Post #23 of 40 (5226 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] driver warning - Canadian killed, carjacking Coahuila

| Private Reply
it seems that armed gunmen build roadblocks to facilitate their car-jacking but maybe in this case they were just going to say hello. That was so very wrong of me to assume it was a carjacking.

tonyburton

Jun 17, 2010, 6:16 AM

Post #24 of 40 (5214 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Requesting that multiple posts on different forums NOT be made has nothing to do with suppressing anything.
It avoids the inevitable confusion when current or future readers search for a particular topic or response.

Had I been on top of things when the posts were first made, all except one would have been permanently deleted.
Unfortunately, that is no longer an option since we'd also lose the valuable posts of others responding on your threads.

Peter

Jun 17, 2010, 6:19 AM

Post #25 of 40 (5209 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
it seems that armed gunmen build roadblocks to facilitate their car-jacking but maybe in this case they were just going to say hello.

There could be any number of reasons they might operate a roadblock. It's kind of hard to tell the good guys from the bad these days. The army will almost certainly shoot if you run their roadblock. The bad guys might only have said "hello" and let him pass. I'm not certain there is any circumstance where it is more prudent to try to run a roadblock.

That was so very wrong of me to assume it was a carjacking.

That seems to be the point.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4