Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

chinagringo

Jun 17, 2010, 6:56 AM

Post #26 of 40 (7439 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mensamia] driver warning - Canadian killed, carjacking Coahuila

| Private Reply
With respect to the confusion about this incident being a carjacking: In an earlier post of mine with a link to a news article, it infers/suggests exactly that with a teenager jumping on the vehicle after the occupants had stopped. I was simply pointing out that there were some variations in the story.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Altahabana

Jun 17, 2010, 2:34 PM

Post #27 of 40 (7405 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] driver warning - Canadian killed, carjacking Coahuila

| Private Reply

This incident is making the rounds on all forums. The two versions of the event that I have read not only conflict but are almost completely irreconcilable. The incident did not make the local (Piedras/Monclova/Nuevo Laredo) papers so I don't know the source of the Canadian news article that described it as a kid shooting the victim while hanging onto the side of the vehicle as it sped away. To me that sounds more likely than the version that has the victim running the roadblock and being chased 20 + miles all the way to Allende.

I drive Highway 57 once a month, and before the Army offensive against the Zetas that began in February, more often than that. I am also familiar with narco reténes (roadblocks) having been stopped in two. I find it hard to believe that the Zetas set up a roadblock on Highway 57 near the intersection with Highway 2 during daylight hours. The Army is aggressively hunting down Zetas in the area around Piedras.

In the north reténes are organized for several reasons. More often than not they are set up for some purpose other than robbery and carjacking. If this was a retén as opposed to a one on one carjacking, the Canadian either panicked or grossly underestimated the resolve of the guys manning it.

mensamia

Jun 17, 2010, 3:49 PM

Post #28 of 40 (7390 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] driver warning - Canadian killed, carjacking Coahuila

| Private Reply
Tony,

Thank you for the explanation about the search engine. That was not explained to me before and that is why I thought there was a concerted effort to cover up or play down crime in Mexico. Someone told me once that Mex-Connect and similar ex-pat forums were run by realtors and investors and they wanted the forums to be cheerful and optimistic so buyers would be encouraged to buy and negative news would not affect real estate values. I kind of believed that... so your explanation is refreshing. It is so important that the forums be free of manipulation and places where all subjects, including crime, can be discussed openly.

mensamia

Jun 17, 2010, 4:42 PM

Post #29 of 40 (7373 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Altahabana] driver warning - Canadian killed, carjacking Coahuila

| Private Reply
thanks Chinagringo and Altahabana for the mentions of the various version of truth floating around out there. Wonder when the survivor will go public with his version and what it will be? My bet is car-jacking.

cbviajero

Jun 19, 2010, 10:21 AM

Post #30 of 40 (7263 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mensamia] driver warning - Canadian killed, carjacking Coahuila

| Private Reply
do you know what mensamia means in spanish?

La Isla

Jun 19, 2010, 11:22 AM

Post #31 of 40 (7250 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] driver warning - Canadian killed, carjacking Coahuila

| Private Reply

In Reply To
do you know what mensamia means in spanish?

Looked it up several dictionaries and couldn't find it anywhere....

Rolly

Jun 19, 2010, 11:43 AM

Post #32 of 40 (7242 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] driver warning - Canadian killed, carjacking Coahuila

| Private Reply
mensamia, mensa mia: mensa = foolish, stupid; mia = my, mine

Rolly Pirate

La Isla

Jun 19, 2010, 11:56 AM

Post #33 of 40 (7235 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] driver warning - Canadian killed, carjacking Coahuila

| Private Reply
I was thinking of mensamia as one word, which is why it didn't appear in any dictionary. Isn't it ironic that Mensa is also the name of a honorary association of super-smart people?

chinagringo

Jun 19, 2010, 12:11 PM

Post #34 of 40 (7232 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
post deleted by TB as being irrelevant to the thread
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Jun 20, 2010, 9:50 AM)

Peter

Jun 19, 2010, 12:39 PM

Post #35 of 40 (7221 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Isn't it ironic that Mensa is also the name of a honorary association of super-smart people?

I've often wondered how intentional that was. The Italian meaning generally refers to a university's cafeteria and the organization may have taken that to refer to a gathering place for intellectuals. But then I picture the charter members searching for a name for their group and one individual who knew the Spanish meaning suggesting the name as a joke.

Then if you have ever watched The Big Bang Theory, which does not mischaracterize the nature of many geniuses, you could see how the average Joe might view them as being somewhat stupid and foolish individuals. Like Einstein not being able to make correct bus change without difficulty, though he was considered a mathematical genius.

mensamia

Jun 19, 2010, 3:01 PM

Post #36 of 40 (7197 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Rolly...if you can't poke fun at yourself... in spite of all my super serious posts, I like to think I have a funny side.

[personal remarks, more appropriate to PMs, edited out by TB]

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Jun 19, 2010, 6:22 PM)

Peter

Jun 19, 2010, 3:54 PM

Post #37 of 40 (7187 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Isn't it ironic that Mensa is also the name of a honorary association of super-smart people?

Super smart is a bit of a stretch. Mensa will take people at the 98th percentile, which equates to an IQ of around 132. That is noteworthy and sufficient to put them in the "Superior" intelligence category, but I suspect there may exist one or two here in the upper 99th percentile. "Mensa?!? Really, you might as well have told them I was a toll taker at the Golden Gate Bridge."

To give a little more perspective, Einstein was supposed to have had an IQ around 145. He would not have qualified for the Prometheus Society or the Triple Nine.

(This post was edited by Peter on Jun 19, 2010, 5:06 PM)

robt65

Jun 20, 2010, 7:08 AM

Post #38 of 40 (7098 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Rolly

. . . . . . "mensamia, mensa mia: mensa = foolish, stupid; mia = my, mine" . . . . . . . Would that also translate into "Foolish Me?"

Robert

mensamia

Jun 20, 2010, 9:00 AM

Post #39 of 40 (7072 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] driver warning - Canadian killed, carjacking Coahuila

| Private Reply
I see that posts of mine are being deleted while the posts of my detractors flourish. If to ‘win’ a battle of words you must remove the opponent’s words, your victory is shallow indeed. There is a bullying aspect that is happening on these forums. Until my response to chinagringo is returned, I will no longer post here.

Rolly

Jun 20, 2010, 9:07 AM

Post #40 of 40 (7072 views)

Shortcut

Re: driver warning - Canadian killed, carjacking Coahuila

| Private Reply
This thread has strayed far from the original topic and is now ready for closure.

Rolly Pirate
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4