Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

mensamia

Jun 14, 2010, 3:59 PM

Post #1 of 5 (6155 views)

Shortcut

Canadian killed... to stop or not to stop

Can't Post | Private Reply
When i read about the roadblocks, I thought.. well, if that happens to me I will just go through it or around it and take my chances that their aim will not be good enough to shoot me in the head. At this point I am wondering if the best strategy is to stop at the road blocks and allow yourself to be robbed, hijacked.. or worse?

By Diana Mehta, The Canadian Press
TORONTO - Friends are confirming a Canadian man has been shot to death by gunmen in Mexico.

They say Kenneth Klowak was killed by armed men after he refused to stop at a road block last Wednesday.

Mexican magazine Proceso says Klowak was shot and killed by gunmen in the town of Allende, a town near the Mexico-U.S. border in the state of Coahuila, some 65 kilometres from Eagle Pass, Texas.

Wayne Biegel, who heard the news from a friend of Klowak's parents, says the 43-year-old was in Mexico building bike trails for his employer.

He says Klowak, who is from Mansfield, Ont., a town about an hour's drive northwest of Toronto, was an avid biker who constructed trails for his employer in Jamaica for the past two years.

Biegel, from the nearby town of Orangeville, says Klowak was due to visit his parents in Ontario at the end of the month.

He called his friend of more than 20 years a passive and well-liked gentleman who wouldn't upset anyone.

"I spoke to him a week and a half ago," Biegel said in an interview. "He was very happy, he was looking forward to ... coming back to Ontario."

The Department of Foreign Affairs in Ottawa confirmed it was aware of the death of a Canadian citizen in the region of Piedras Negras, Mexico, but did not release any names.

Spokeswoman Dana Cryderman said a second Canadian citizen who was also part of the group excursion has been reported unharmed.

"Canadian consular officials in Monterrey and Mexico City are working closely with local authorities to gather additional information, and are providing consular assistance to the family," Cryderman said.

"Due to privacy considerations, no further information is available at this time."

Biegel said Klowak and a co-worker were driving through the region when they came across a barricade put up by armed individuals.

According to Biegel, Klowak was chased by the gunmen as he charged through the road block but lost control of his vehicle before it rolled into a ditch.

"The gunmen then got out of their vehicle and shot him twice in the head."

Biegel says Klowak's job of building trails had appeared to be a safe one in the past.

"He never explained any kind of danger to me," he said. "Oh God, it's devastating."
A funeral for Klowak is scheduled for Thursday in Orangeville, Ont.

raferguson

Jun 14, 2010, 5:15 PM

Post #2 of 5 (6140 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mensamia] Just stop.

I would suggest that it is crazy to run a roadblock, under any circumstances.

The more serious issue is what are the consequences of running a roadblock. If the roadblock is criminal, and considering the level of grisly violence (decapitations, etc.) among the Mexican criminal class, the chances of your being shot for noncompliance would be very high. If it is a legitimate roadblock, you are making an opportunity for a trigger-happy soldier to shoot you. For all we know, the soldiers have instructions to shoot at vehicles that run roadblocks. If you are stopped at a legitimate roadblock, you will be on your way in a few minutes.

It just makes common sense to stop, even if you knew for sure that the roadblock was run by criminals. Better to lose your car than your life.

In any confrontation with criminals, especially armed criminals, do what they say and hope for the best. I don't know any law enforcement organizations that do not suggest that compliance with criminals orders is the best practice, whether you are in the USA, Mexico, or anywhere else.

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

Peter

Jun 15, 2010, 10:10 AM

Post #3 of 5 (6077 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] Just stop.

I would suggest that it is crazy to run a roadblock, under any circumstances.

I agree. Any roadblock with armed soldiers, police, bandidos is a legitimate roadblock as far as I am concerned. I really don't like getting stopped by any of the above but that is just what we have to do here.

Whether or not it is a roadblock sanctioned by Felipe Calderón, or whoever, it is hard to know who is in charge in a particular area at any given time. Good rule of thumb: If they have guns, they are in charge.

It is quite possible that what may appear to be an unlawful roadblock is one being operated by a local militia who are also looking for "bad guys" that may have commited a crime, killing, or whatever in their area and the police are doing nothing about that matter. Rather than looking to rob you they are looking to administer local justice and they are intent on doing such. If you blow them off they blow you away; simple in their view.

By all means, stop. Do not try to run through it - that seems to be where trouble erupts. If after being stopped and looked at and you want to move on soft and slow, so be it.

mensamia

Jun 15, 2010, 7:57 PM

Post #4 of 5 (6034 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mensamia] Canadian killed... to stop or not to stop

Here is another more recent? news item about the Canadian and at the end, a blog by family members as well as comments rom others. Wonder if the murderers read it?

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/...c3073989835235841914

brecky

Jun 16, 2010, 10:03 AM

Post #5 of 5 (5983 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mensamia] Canadian killed... to stop or not to stop

Canada's CBC ran the story a couple days ago
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/06/14/canadian-dies-mexico.html

My travel photography home page:
http://www.worldisround.com/home/brecky/index.html

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4