First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

azheat

Jun 7, 2010, 8:06 PM

Post #26 of 41 (3843 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] The Difficulties of Moving

Can't Post | Private Reply

In Reply To
It's a particular vehicle type, and even color, that these bad guys are after. They want it for a specific purpose, so where they take it to do what they need to do, it must blend in.

So how do you think they feel about bright lemon yellow Jeep Rubicons?

We've crossed back and forth without incident about 10 times in the
past 18 months, but have been concerned since things have gotten
a bit more "intense" lately.

Maybe the color actually works FOR us instead of against us though?

Thanks--and happy your trip from Canada was successful.

Tina

Reefhound

Jun 8, 2010, 9:38 AM

Post #27 of 41 (3783 views)

Shortcut

Re: [azheat] The Difficulties of Moving

Add purple and orange polka dots to make it even less desirable. Top it off with mismatched wheels and gaudy bumper stickers.

Tab

Jun 8, 2010, 9:52 AM

Post #28 of 41 (3774 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] The Difficulties of Moving

If my memory serves me correct, I believe that we arrived at the check point in the late afternoon around 4-5 pm. We began everydays journey close to 9 am and made sure we were finished driving before the sun set. Usually we were off the road by 7 or 8 pm. We thought it would have taken much longer to drive from Nogales to Mazatlan but going through some areas with postings of 60 kms and we were following locals doing 120-130 kms it soon shortens the drive but quick. Paul loved that part as he is an avid race fan !

(This post was edited by Tab on Jun 8, 2010, 9:55 AM)

azheat

Jun 8, 2010, 9:53 AM

Post #29 of 41 (3773 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Reefhound] The Difficulties of Moving

Actually...I've been telling my husband we should either
paint it PINK or add some flower decals. We could get a sign
place to make magnetized ones so we could peel them off
when we want.

Seriously.

Tina

azheat

Jun 8, 2010, 9:55 AM

Post #30 of 41 (3771 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Tab] The Difficulties of Moving

Tab from Toronto, the part that frightened me about your journey was when you
said you slowly drove away from the fake checkpoint.

Thank heaven you were allowed to leave without further
incident--others have been shot or killed for doing that
at some of the checkpoints.

I think you were very fortunate indeed.

Take care,
Tina

(This post was edited by azheat on Jun 8, 2010, 9:55 AM)

Gringal

Jun 8, 2010, 11:10 AM

Post #31 of 41 (3742 views)

Shortcut

Glad you made it okay, but some of us would be working buttonholes in the upholstery while sloooowly driving away.

Welcome to Mexico!

robt65

Jun 8, 2010, 6:50 PM

Post #32 of 41 (3687 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] The Difficulties of Moving

Hi Esperanza,

That is exactly what I was thinking. I think that is closer to the truth of the matter!

Robt65

(This post was edited by robt65 on Jun 8, 2010, 6:52 PM)

Marlene

Jun 8, 2010, 9:00 PM

Post #33 of 41 (3660 views)

Shortcut

We've known several here who have blown right through what they deemed to be fake check-points. It's a judgement call, based on gut instinct at the time. A gut instinct that tells you not to become a victim.

Reefhound

Jun 9, 2010, 7:58 AM

Post #34 of 41 (3605 views)

Shortcut

It's a tough call. Some who have decided not to stop were shredded in a hail of gunfire.

Tab

Jun 10, 2010, 10:18 AM

Post #35 of 41 (3503 views)

Shortcut

That is exactly it Marlene. We trusted our instinct based on the situation, and thankfully our instincts were right. Unless someone was at that exact checkpoint at that time, they cannot really judge the decision we made. He had a whole line up of cars behind us to try and victimize.

Despite the situation, we are really happy to be here!

azheat

Jun 11, 2010, 6:31 AM

Post #36 of 41 (3418 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Tab] The Difficulties of Moving

I don't know how to directly link to this article, but you can
find it on http://www.borderlandbeat.com

The article follows--gives one a lot to think about when
it comes to blockades and roadside stops.

Tina

According to the Proceso magazine website a Canadian citizen, Kenneth Charles Peters, was shot and killed by an armed group of men in the town of Allende, Coahuila located approximately 40 miles from Eagle Pass, Texas.

The incident occurred about 5:00 PM on Wednesday, June 9th.

A second person who was a passenger in the same vehicle with Mr. Peters was seriously injured.

State prosecutor Jesus Torres Charles confirmed the death of the Canadian who suffered two bullet wounds. The unidentified passenger also suffered several gunshot wounds and could be a U.S. citizen according to the prosecutor.

The encounter began after the pair left Piedras Negras en route to the town of Muzquiz.

According to a police report a group of gunmen intercepted the gold Suburban in which the victims were traveling at the junction of Highway 57 and Highway 2. The Suburban refused to stop and attempted to evade the armed group

The gunmen pursued and shot at the vehicle which crashed and overturned in Allende.

A local reporter interviewed several witnesses to the chase that stated speeds reached up to 100 miles per hour under a hail of gunfire.

After Kenneth Peters’ Suburban crashed and overturned in Allende, one of the pursuing gunmen descended from his vehicle and in front of more than a dozen travelers on the highway walked to the wreckage and shot Mr. Peters twice in the head.

(This post was edited by Rolly on Jun 11, 2010, 8:47 AM)

chinagringo

Jun 11, 2010, 10:09 AM

Post #37 of 41 (3368 views)

Shortcut

If one compares Tab's experience with that of this Canadian - it points out just how futile it is to speculate or predetermine just what one would do if confronted with similar circumstances! Should any of us choose to drive from the border into the interior of MX, our only options are to try and find a route that could be relatively safe based upon recent reports and then hopefully avoid drawing attention to ourselves while holding our collective breaths. With the frequency of incidents increasing, it is quite difficult to simply avoid being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

There are those that choose to remain in denial, primarily because they can point to those that have driven without incident. I read on one forum where a poster, when commenting on the Canadian incident, said: "I wonder why anyone would be in that area if they weren't involved in drugs?" Now the Eagle Pass/Piedras Negras crossing is used fairly often by those that feel it is a more convenient. This particular poster uses a different TX crossing point - so therefore the Canadian had to be involved in drugs! GET A GRIP!

If Mexico is unable to get a better handle on this situation, I would venture a guess that fewer Snowbirds will be seen next winter or at the very least, many of those that do come with be by air.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

robt65

Jun 11, 2010, 11:15 AM

Post #38 of 41 (3358 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] The Difficulties of Moving

The content of this post was deleted because the Reply function screwed it up -- as usual.

Please, don't use the Quote/Reply function. It doesn't work (most of the time)..

(This post was edited by Rolly on Jun 11, 2010, 11:31 AM)

Gringal

Jun 11, 2010, 11:16 AM

Post #39 of 41 (3355 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] The Difficulties of Moving

Is it better to be wise or lucky? Both are best, but if "he followed his gut instinct" gets engraved on his headstone, we can assume he was neither.

I'd be inclined to give 'em my damn car instead of hoping to get lucky, but then, they probably wouldn't want that elderly pickup......a circumstance which could be part wisdom and part luck.

I agree that may affect the number of snowbirds we see here next year....unless they fly down. Seems like most of them come down, loaded with luggage, in very expensive SUV's which the drug guys might find extra tasty.

robt65

Jun 11, 2010, 11:31 AM

Post #40 of 41 (3339 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] The Difficulties of Moving - "he followed his gut instinct"

Gringal,

"he followed his gut instinct" Make sure that one gets on mine OK with a foot note . . . . . "he died trying . . . . probably to hard" and add a score OK example: . . bad Guys 1 - Robert 2 or 3 or 7 or whatever! For goodness sake don't dare put a "0" OK

Robt65

Gringal

Jun 11, 2010, 12:02 PM

Post #41 of 41 (3331 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] The Difficulties of Moving - "he followed his gut instinct"

Chances are, what winds up on your gravestone (or any of ours) will be minimal, and the most important part will be the "dash" in the middle. Unless, of course, you become a hero and merit a marble edifice. Then, maybe there'll be a scoreboard.

The trouble these days in Mexico is that the drug lords merit troubadours, songs of praise and "narcosainthood". Their "gut instinct" too often is "shoot the guy."
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4