Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

johanson / Moderator

Jun 10, 2010, 3:29 PM

Post #1 of 14 (14077 views)

Shortcut

FLASH: Easily obtainable US TV in MX

Can't Post | Private Reply
It was erroneously reported by a certain moderator, that US TV would be no longer available after the end of this year on the big (ugly) dish. Why did I tell you that? Because that is what the folks at NPS (The National Programming Service) the folks I used to get my C band programming from told me. Immediately thereafter, they tried to get me to buy DISH. Many of you know the problems we have been having with DISH Network in Mexico. If you are having problems with DISH programming, it's probably because the new DISH satellites are transmitting more focused signals with less bleed-over into Mexico. And that all you will need is a larger satellite dish.

Rather than buying a larger satellite DISH to continue to receive DISH Network programming, why not use that big C band dish to pick up programming from another programming source? Check out www.skyvision.com . You will see that there are still hundreds of US channels you can subscribe to on that big ugly dish you abandoned on your roof. What you don't have a digital receiver? You could probably get a used one for next to nothing or a reconditioned one from a satellite dealer.

Now I know you're thinking, can I keep on subscribing to DISH by simply using the big C band dish for DISH network programming instead of buying a new larger satellite dish? Maybe. It depends on how tight meshed that C band antenna is. The experts on the tech forums always said if the mesh is so tight that you can not put a pencil through it, you're probably alright, that the C band dish will also reflect the much higher frequency Ku signals to the newly installed DISH LNB. But most C band dishes do not efficiently reflect Ku signals.

Just food for thought

(This post was edited by johanson on Jun 10, 2010, 3:45 PM)

johnv

Jun 10, 2010, 6:30 PM

Post #2 of 14 (14042 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] FLASH: Easily obtainable US TV in MX

It seems like it would be a lot simpler to use StarChoice.

And remember, within a year, Google TV will be here. No dish required.

johanson / Moderator

Jun 10, 2010, 7:50 PM

Post #3 of 14 (14031 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johnv] FLASH: Easily obtainable US TV in MX

John, I love *Choice, now Shaw Direct. I was subscribing to it before it was viewable in Mexico and brought a receiver down with me when I went down after Christmas in Dec 2000. I was up at as I recollect at 2 AM Monday morning Feb 21st, 2001 as *Choice activated Anik F-1, the bird that first reached Mexico.

It gives me my home town stations. What else could I ask for. and the 75 E elliptical satellite dish is really quite small.

In reference to Google TV. The real question is what are the bandwidth requirements. I see that when you posted this message you were connected via a Prodigy Infinitum server. Are you going to have to pay more for a faster connection? I don't know.

And what happens if you use too much bandwidth in a month? Comcast, in the US for example limits the monthly bandwidth you can use. The last time I checked, maybe a year ago, so I don't remember exactly, I believe that in the US Comcast charges $99 US per month for an unlimited connection. And I would need such a connection to be able to watch a reasonable amount of HDTV each day. Also am I going to have to hide my IP # like I would have to do now if I wanted to watch or listen to certain US programming?

I too am excited about Google TV. From my questions though :), I'm a little nervous about how well it will work in Mexico. I sure hope it turns out to be great.

johnv

Jun 11, 2010, 8:40 AM

Post #4 of 14 (14014 views)

Shortcut

Well, we will have to wait to see about Google TV. There may very well be an issue with broadband speed, like you said.

Honestly, I have been getting real fed up with all TV in general, even StarChoice/ShawDirect, which has superior programming to many other options. It has gotten to the point that I can only find about 10 or 15 things a month, besides the news, that are worth watching, for me.

I was googling around on the subject and came across a YouTube video explaining how you can get Google TV Beta now. It involved sending an email to yourself, in your Gmail account, with a certain link contained in the subject and body of the email. Then archiving it, and repeatedly logging in and out of your Gmail account until supposedly, after some or many logins, you will find an invitation from Google in your inbox, to try Google TV Beta. I did all that, and logged in and out about 25 times, but have not yet received the invitation.

chinagringo

Jun 11, 2010, 8:54 AM

Post #5 of 14 (14008 views)

Shortcut

It appears that they are just as many posts debunking the YouTube Video myth as there are touting it as a way to get the beta version of GOOGLE TV.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Rolly

Jun 11, 2010, 8:55 AM

Post #6 of 14 (14008 views)

Shortcut

That procedure with a Gmail sure sounds like joke.

Rolly Pirate

RickS

Jun 11, 2010, 1:27 PM

Post #7 of 14 (13972 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] FLASH: Easily obtainable US TV in MX

Problem is, JohnV wasn't "standing on one foot and chanting.... Google, Google, Google" while he was making those 25 calls. You have to follow ALL the directions or it doesn't work!

johanson / Moderator

Jun 11, 2010, 2:35 PM

Post #8 of 14 (13962 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] FLASH: Easily obtainable US TV in MX

Rick

You have a US IP # and John has a Mexican IP #. I know that because of copyright and/or FCC regulations, I can get many more US stations when in the US than I can when in Mexico. Could that be the difference?

I'm just guessing. An expert on the subject, I am NOT.

Or maybe like Rolly said it might be a joke

(This post was edited by johanson on Jun 11, 2010, 2:42 PM)

chinagringo

Jun 11, 2010, 2:45 PM

Post #9 of 14 (13953 views)

Shortcut

Johanson:

Please re-read Rick's post and look for some sarcasm in his suggestion. The YOU TUBE VIDEO is kind of like those "snipe hunts" you may have been conned into!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

johanson / Moderator

Jun 11, 2010, 3:07 PM

Post #10 of 14 (13950 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] FLASH: Easily obtainable US TV in MX

He probably was kidding Neil. But then again this might be a real issue. Just maybe, like when trying to watch or listen to progarmming from the US when I'm in Mexico, I get the message with more and more stations stating that because I'm outside of the US I am not able to watch or listen to a US TV or Radio station because of some US regulations, I don't remember which.

And being up North right now and not in Mexico, I can't try to get, then quote the message here.

johnv

Jun 11, 2010, 6:35 PM

Post #11 of 14 (13935 views)

Shortcut

I used a US IP address for this.

RickS, I am only trying to offer solutions to people's TV problems, that is all.

RickS

Jun 13, 2010, 10:18 AM

Post #12 of 14 (13867 views)

Shortcut

And I, in my own smart-ass way, was only trying to add a little lightness to the Post. Sorry for my levity if it was either misunderstood or unwarranted.

RickS

bournemouth

Jun 13, 2010, 10:46 AM

Post #13 of 14 (13859 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] FLASH: Easily obtainable US TV in MX

Misunderstood, Rick - it made me laugh!

rukus

Jul 26, 2010, 10:42 PM

Post #14 of 14 (13451 views)

Shortcut

Up here in the usa, the forum has ben telling us that C band is over because motorola will no longer support channel mapping and all due to less and less subscribers. As I am told, providers like NPS, etc are only taking 3 month subs and later will be monthly only. There are still a few open channels. I have DTV here plus Starchoice so haven't turned on my 4DTV in 2 years.

If anyone wants info on getting starchoice, email me at starchoiceinusa@gmail.com
starchoiceinusa@gmail.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4