Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

chinagringo

Jun 8, 2010, 5:53 PM

Post #1 of 5 (12758 views)

Shortcut

Travel Advice Morelia - Taxco

Can't Post | Private Reply
In planning for our August trip, it looks like we will be leaving Morelia on a Thursday and heading for Taxco. It has been suggested that we pull off the cuota and visit Tlalpujahua. Assuming that we follow this advice and spend a couple of hours or so to visit this suggested destination, We have a feeling that Taxco would be a bit of a push by sticking to our no driving after dark rule. Therefore, we are considering a stopover in Toluca for the night before driving into Taxco. One thing that does concern us was one report that Tlalpujahua tends to close down on Thursdays. Anyone have any info to this?

We would appreciate recommendations on any other suggested places to visit not only between Morelia and Toluca but also between Toluca and Taxco. At this point, we are thinking a Friday and Saturday night in Taxco to catch the Saturday Silver Market and give us adequate time to really see the Taxco area. Any hotel recommendations for Taxco would also be appreciated.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

(This post was edited by chinagringo on Jun 8, 2010, 5:54 PM)

Peter

Jun 8, 2010, 8:41 PM

Post #2 of 5 (12734 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Travel Advice Morelia - Taxco

Perhaps not "on the way" from either spot but "in the general neighborhood" is Valle de Bravo, worth visiting if you haven't done so yet. With a little highway planning you could avoid Toluca altogether which, unless you have specific business there, is worth doing.

The alternate highways you would be using are very good, just a little tricky mountain driving. If skipping Toluca is not a problem for you it would likely be a more interesting trek. Valle de Bravo would make a very nice layover but it is not in the low-rent district.

Anonimo

Jun 9, 2010, 2:55 AM

Post #3 of 5 (12726 views)

Shortcut

ny hotel recommendations for Taxco would also be appreciated.

Check out the Posada San Javier in Taxco.

Saludos,
Anonimo

chinagringo

Jun 9, 2010, 9:41 AM

Post #4 of 5 (12698 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Travel Advice Morelia - Taxco

Posada San Javier is on our list of possibles. Their web site has broken links and the reservation system isn't working. I di email an inquiry to them and received a reply that they had one room available for our tentative time frame. They have quoted $783 MXP/night with Continental Breakfast included, which is well within our guidelines. One real plus is their on-site parking. At this point, I have not figured out their exact location in town and wonder its location in relation to the Zocalo?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Anonimo

Jun 9, 2010, 3:25 PM

Post #5 of 5 (12667 views)

Shortcut

Taxco is a maze of winding streets on a hillslope. The Hotel can tell you better than I where it lies in relation to the Zócalo. I seem to recall it's on Juan Ruíz de Alarcón.
I was looking at the Google Map of Taxco and I'm just as baffled as before.

Saludos,
Anonimo

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4