First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

tashby

Jun 8, 2010, 5:52 PM

Post #1 of 72 (14027 views)

Shortcut

Best Mexican Food at Lakeside?

| Private Reply
And then there was silence...?

Seriously. After two years in this area and another absolutely atrocious plate of slop today at a place I refuse to mention, I'll follow anybody's lead.

Any dish in particular anywhere specific? Also open to, "Well, there's this lady on Zaragosa that sometimes serves xxxxxx on Tuesdays out of her house... sometimes....."

Anything.

(This post was edited by tashby on Jun 8, 2010, 5:53 PM)

chinagringo

Jun 8, 2010, 6:16 PM

Post #2 of 72 (14006 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Best Mexican Food at Lakeside?

| Private Reply
In over ten years of traveling to Lakeside, I have to admit that searching out good Mexican food in the area has not been a priority. Typically, we have ventured into Tlaquepaque or Tonala for an authentic Mexican "food fix". Some time back, I ran across a blog that pretty well spells out "local food" in the Lakeside area:
http://eatinglocalatlakeside.blogspot.com/
It appears to be pretty comprehensive! However, the opinions stated in this blog do not align with those of the "resident food critic", who hates Mexican food since it is prepared from inferior ingredients!

What ticks us off is that we owned a home on the hill above Ixtlahuacan for about 8 years and after selling the house, one of the best reported restaurants for Mexican food opened in the village below our house.

Now that we no longer have the home in Ixtlahuacan, we get to travel the rest of Mexico and learn about the various regional cooking techniques and forget about the New Mexico variation that is dictated by "Red or Green".
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

don pedro

Jun 9, 2010, 7:51 AM

Post #3 of 72 (13944 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
the best molcajete on the northshore can be found in a restaurant of that name on the pier east of the chapala malecon.
it is right beside and to the north of cozumel. 2 of us have never been able to finish one and you get either free margaritas or white wine[as many as ya want] with the meal. total cost for 2 around 200 pesos + tip.
for birria go to the north side of the joco plaza to the east of the women's clothing store or simply try them all in that plaza.
i like the birria upstairs in the chapala mercado.
the taco shops and stands outside the mercado are good as well.
there are lotsa choices fer food in the chapala monday tianguis-go forth and try.
http://chapalamexicoinfo.createforumhosting.com
naivete is a chronIc disease and by its very nature;the afflicted never know they have it.-SNORK!

NEOhio1

Jun 9, 2010, 8:20 AM

Post #4 of 72 (13935 views)

Shortcut

Re: [don pedro] Best Mexican Food at Lakeside?

| Private Reply
Tashby, the Molcajete place do pedro is talking about is the one I pointed out to you at lunch on Monday.

tashby

Aug 8, 2010, 4:11 PM

Post #5 of 72 (13241 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Three replies in two months on this thread. Not quite the silence I predicted, but pretty close.

Anyway, thanks for the responses. ChinaGringo, I'm aware of that fellows blog post cited in response #1, and have tried and enjoyed many of the places on his list. Still, he is more enthusiastic about most of them than I.

Recently tried Casita del Molcajete in Chapala and.....eh. It was okay, nothing spectacular. (Truthfully, I've only ever had one molcajete in my entire life that was really special. And boy was it. An unusual combination of ingredients generated a sublime sauce. Just the cooking/presentation method of a Molcajete isn't enough to get me excited.)

Los Cinco Portrillos in Ixtlahuacan is pretty good and consistent, and it's definitely a good value. But in my opinion, the reason people rave about it and consider it the best Mexican Restaurant in the area is because the rest of the Mexican restaurants around here are so bad.

The other restaurant that always gets mentioned is Viva Mexico/Tia Lupita's in San Juan Cosala. We went there two days ago. Again, I've had some pleasing meals there, but the other day I ordered Chiles Rellenos. They were an absolute abomination. Even my partner, who is much, much easier to please, agreed they were terrible. Inedible.

I consider Chile Rellenos pretty basic.

On the upside, we enjoy Mario's in San Antonio. Their salsas are magnificent. But much of what I enjoy most there is a variation on the same style/dish, the Bistec de la Casa being a favorite.

After giving it some thought, and suffering through all this abysmal food, I'm beginning to suspect that I'm just ordering the wrong things. Some of the best food I've had locally has been regional specialties: Birria (I think that's regional?), Tortas Ahogadas, Carnes en su Jugo, etc.

I refuse to believe there is no good food here. I think I need to focus on "Jaliscan Cuisine".....which means.....I need to start a thread in the Kitchen Forum!

I don't know what "Jaliscan Cuisine" is.

(This post was edited by tashby on Aug 8, 2010, 4:16 PM)

chinagringo

Aug 8, 2010, 4:26 PM

Post #6 of 72 (13235 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Tashby:

Have no idea if you get into Tonala on occasion but if you do, we would highly recommend "EL BOQUINETE". This restaurant is owned by a gentleman by the name of Oscar. They serve a "mean Molcajete" and to go with it some of the best Margaritas we have experienced in Mexico. They used to be located in the shopping alley on the back side of the Hotel Tonala but moved into a new facility on the back side of the hotel. Oscar is a kick and after you visit a couple of times he will remember you, especially if you have engaged him in a conversation. We have certainly enjoyed him for years both at the restaurant he used to manage and now with the place of his own. Here is a slideshow (taken by our friend) of his current establishment:

http://www.flickr.com/...57623631105387/show/
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

simpsca

Aug 8, 2010, 7:40 PM

Post #7 of 72 (13191 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
If you like Italian food, La Taverna is good. All their pastas are home made and so are the sauces. It's better when the owners are there but even consistent when they are not.

I also like Tabarka the seafood restaurant in west Ajijc almost across from La Taverna. The owner is Spanish so there is a Spanish twist. They serve you bread with a garlic mayo (called aieoli) and the seafood is fresh.

Both restaurants are in west Ajijic.

Vichil

Aug 9, 2010, 7:44 AM

Post #8 of 72 (13128 views)

Shortcut

Re: [simpsca] Best Mexican Food at Lakeside?

| Private Reply
I thought the subject was food from Jalisco not Italy or Alicante.

simpsca

Aug 10, 2010, 7:55 AM

Post #9 of 72 (12994 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] Best Mexican Food at Lakeside?

| Private Reply
Didn't focus too well, did I? My favorite Mexican food is at Viva Mexico in San Juan Cosala. I love Chilies en Nogado - the best Ive had in Mexico. Also like his mixed plates like San Juan with many different Mexican foods.

simpsca

Aug 10, 2010, 7:58 AM

Post #10 of 72 (12992 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Oh, and Viva Mexico's molcajete - especially shrimp is great in the cold weather - it's huge and very reasonably priced.

yucatandreamer

Aug 10, 2010, 8:45 AM

Post #11 of 72 (12980 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Molcajete O.K. I can look up most of the names of Mexican food that you all talk about but this word sends me to a mortar a pestle affair which is definitely not food. It would be nice to describe some of these dishes briefly for the benefit of us Yucatecos who eat Xni-pec Ha'Si-Kil Pac,Papadzules, Pibils, Poc Chuc and Relleno Negro, Salbutes and Panuchos and so on.

So if I were sending you to the best place for Poc Chuc(grilled marinated pork in sour orange) it would be to "EL Principe" in Mani. Salbutes and Panuchos( Little tortillas topped with meat and vegies, similar but panuchos are puffed split tortillas which are stuffed with refried black bean) I would send you to Susana's in Kanasin.

Thank you from the Yucatan which doesn't eat much "Mexican" food.

chinagringo

Aug 10, 2010, 9:06 AM

Post #12 of 72 (12978 views)

Shortcut

Re: [yucatandreamer] Best Mexican Food at Lakeside?

| Private Reply
Here is a quick photo of what a Molcajete dish might look like:

http://www.google.com/...&ved=0CCwQ9QEwAw
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Abrria

Aug 10, 2010, 9:14 AM

Post #13 of 72 (12973 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
If you like tamales and empanadas then I highly recommend Hole in the Wall. It is in Ajijic, Hidalgo #96 (?). There is no sign out sign except for a coca cola one. Their opening hours as I remember are: Monday, 5, Tuesday, 7, Saturday. They don't always have the same things on each day but who cares?
I'm not sure how Monday became "Gringo night" but you can get both chicken and pork (my favorite) tamales and the empanadas. When you walk in there you may wonder since the place really is a whole in the wall. Their way of ordering is: you get your own beverage out of the cooler and then the woman brings an order sheet for you to fill out, she collects it, brings the wonderful food, and then you go to the counter to pay. This would be the first place I would take a visitor to.

Another vote for Viva Mexico in San Juan Cosala.

Buen provecho!

simpsca

Aug 10, 2010, 10:37 AM

Post #14 of 72 (12952 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Here in Jalisco a molcajete is the stone dish with feet, baked in the oven until it is piping hot. Then they add the ingredients which are kept hot by the lava rock dish. At Viva Mexico they make it with shrimp - lots of shrimp, onions, sweet peppers, a tomato based sauce a little spicy, and 2 kinds of cheese which melt as soon as they are added - it's to die for. Then they have the arracherra molcajete which is similar but with the thin marinated steak.

Another favorite molcajete is at Casa Fuerte in Tlaquepaque. It has a green sauce base with a huge block of breaded cheese in it. The cheese melts in a block and you spoon a bit off and put it into a corn tortilla and add some of the condiments they serve on the side. Never had this kind of molcajete anywhere else - I think it is their specialty. Worth the trip just to have this one - all these can be shared by 2 people as they are huge!!!

mexliving

Aug 10, 2010, 8:41 PM

Post #15 of 72 (12885 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
good topic.... it would be nice for the original poster to name the place where the food was awfull. one thing to remembe is every 6 months people take a pill to kill parasites in their bodies. a lot of places serve bad food and dont care if the persons will get sick. there is no quality control and if a simple dish is uneatable, well that means that the ingredients are rotten.

don pedro

Aug 11, 2010, 6:38 AM

Post #16 of 72 (12853 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexliving] Best Mexican Food at Lakeside?

| Private Reply

In Reply To
good topic.... it would be nice for the original poster to name the place where the food was awfull. one thing to remembe is every 6 months people take a pill to kill parasites in their bodies. a lot of places serve bad food and dont care if the persons will get sick. there is no quality control and if a simple dish is uneatable, well that means that the ingredients are rotten.

excuse me? i've been coming to mexico since '78 and lived here for the last 4 years. i got food poisoning once and that was in windsor, ontario. i have never even had the revenge here and eat anywhere i want and i don't "take a pill every 6 months to kill parasites".
having said that-i have a few friends that did have parasites and were treated for them. i even swim in lake chapala but i think they're working on a law to keep me out because scientists say that i am polluting the lake-SNORK!

http://chapalamexicoinfo.createforumhosting.com
naivete is a chronIc disease and by its very nature;the afflicted never know they have it.-SNORK!

dleach

Aug 11, 2010, 7:20 AM

Post #17 of 72 (12845 views)

Shortcut

Re: [don pedro] Best Mexican Food at Lakeside?

| Private Reply
There are two very good authentic mexican restaurants in Chapala.

If you like Carne En Su Jugo, go to Zapote. Carne En Su Jugo is beef with a lot of juice, beans, onions, a little bacon and you add cilantro. It's not spicy at all. I add a little salsa to it. They do speak english there.
Directions: As you come from Ajijic, when you reach the main intersection with the traffic light, go straight. Zapote's will be approximately 1 1/2 blocks down on the left hand side of the street (after you pass the block that has the mercado and after the ferreteria on the corner).

Another favorite of mine is Elba's. Thay have great Pozole, Zarape....and try their fried quuesidilla. It doesn't open until 7:30pm and I beleive it's closed on Tuesdays.

Directions:As you come from Ajijic, when you reach the main intersection with the traffic light, go straight. Take your first left...Zaragoza Street. I believe it is approximately 2 1/2??? blocks and is on the right hand side of the street. The sign is not big, so if in doubt, don't hesitate to ask. I believe you will pass on big pink building on the right...then it won't be much further. You will fill out your own ticket much like the Hole In The Wall. Great food at a Fantstic price. Sometimes there are people who speak english there and sometimes not. But, if you haven't mastered eating & drinking in spanish, perhaps you should.

Enjoy.

David

dleach

Aug 11, 2010, 7:52 AM

Post #18 of 72 (12839 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dleach] Best Mexican Food at Lakeside?

| Private Reply
I forgot to mention that Zapote's has a sign above the restaurant with a big toad (might be a frog)...can't miss it.

Kevin K

Sep 18, 2010, 1:39 PM

Post #19 of 72 (12011 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dleach] Best Mexican Food at Lakeside?

| Private Reply
All good suggestions. To the OP's question my honest response would be if you want very good Mexican food you can certainly find it here, but if you want great you probably need to move to Oaxaca, Puebla, or, to a somewhat lesser extent, Michoacan.

Jalisco's specialties (birria, carne in su hugo, pozole and the like) aren't unique to the region and are pretty basic meat-and-pototoes (hold the potatoes) stuff. The really great food in Mexico is invariably found in places that still have a substantial indigenous population whose influence makes itself felt in the food. Oaxaca is to Jalisco what San Francisco is to Omaha, culinarily and culturally speaking. Still there are great raw ingredients to be had, and plenty of delicious basic food (tacos, grilled chicken, etc.).

tashby

Sep 18, 2010, 3:53 PM

Post #20 of 72 (11987 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Kevin K] Best Mexican Food at Lakeside?

| Private Reply

To the OP's question my honest response would be if you want very good Mexican food you can certainly find it here...

I guess, with a few exceptions, that's where I'll have to disagree. And while I'm no food expert, I'm not exactly new at this either. I've been eating my way through Mexico since the late '70s. I've visited 15 states. Either I'm having an unprecedented run of bad luck or this area has the most consistently uninteresting and mediocre food I've ever encountered in Mexico.

I'd rather be eating in Guerrero.

Or Michoacán. Or the Yucatán. Or Veracruz. Or Baja. Or...

(This post was edited by tashby on Sep 18, 2010, 4:00 PM)

chinagringo

Sep 18, 2010, 3:59 PM

Post #21 of 72 (11980 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Be thankful that you don't have to try and find decent Mexican food in New Mexico! Everything is smothered in Red or Green and doesn't resemble traditional Mexican food in any way shape or fashion.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Kevin K

Sep 18, 2010, 4:07 PM

Post #22 of 72 (11976 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Not saying you're wrong, tashby. I remembered that moderator Esperanza, who's forgotten more about Mexican food than most of us will ever know, pretty much shares your opinion:

http://www.mexconnect.com/...i?post=150853#150853

I also think it's a telling indicator of how boring things are here that there simply is no high end Mexican restaurant in the area, nor is there a place doing Continental cuisine while incorporating Mexican ingredients (the closest I know of is Jardin de Ninette and that's not saying much).

My sense is the gringo population here is nowhere near as inquisitive about Mexican cuisine as, say, those in Oaxaca or San Miguel, and the same may well be true of the Guadalajarans who descend on Lakeside on the weekends. Would a place offering regional Mexican food in a nice atmosphere make it here? I have my doubts.

(This post was edited by esperanza on Sep 21, 2010, 5:12 PM)

Peter

Sep 18, 2010, 8:17 PM

Post #23 of 72 (11936 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Not saying you're wrong, tashby. I remembered that moderator Esperanza, who's forgotten more about Mexican food than most of us will ever know, pretty much shares your opinion...

She also seems to remember some things about the local food around this part of Michoacan that some of my friends who have lived here all their lives have yet to discover.

Bennie García

Sep 18, 2010, 8:23 PM

Post #24 of 72 (11931 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Oaxaca has one of the most over-rated restaurant scenes in the country. The good local cuisine is found mostly in someone's home. If you get lucky and are invited.

The same can pretty much be said about Jalisco. The finest Mexican meals are prepared at home.

Peter

Sep 18, 2010, 8:39 PM

Post #25 of 72 (11925 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] Best Mexican Food at Lakeside?

| Private Reply
That seems to be what I have found. Some of the dishes Esperanza speaks of that my friends do not know of she seems to relate they come from private homes or small kitchens. Some great dishes may not be well-known the next town over from where they originated. I am very fortunate Tere cooks extensively for me at home; then I reciprocate for her but my cooking is more NOB inspired. Between us both we are combining talents coming up with some ideas that are gaining recognition the next block over.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4