Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Maesonna

Aug 9, 2010, 12:45 PM

Post #26 of 30 (4149 views)

Shortcut

Re: [morgaine7] Mexican cell phone in the US?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I can't speak for USA, but I would expect it to be similar to Canada, where you can find a big selection of calling cards at mom-and-pop corner stores, the kind of shops that are almost invariably run by immigrants. Lots of their customers are immigrants, too, and they need the cards to be able to call the family back home inexpensively. In Latin American neighbourhoods, there are lots of cards with good rates to LA, in Asian neighbourhoods, cards with good rates to Asia, and so on.

Since there are plenty of Mexicans all over the USA, I would expect that you would find calling cards with good rates to Mexico at places where recent Mexican immigrants shop.

Goyo

Aug 17, 2010, 4:14 PM

Post #27 of 30 (4089 views)

Shortcut

You can look for prepaid phone cards in the USA for calling USA or Mexico in stores that have considerable Mexican clientele. They usually have a variety.

morgaine7

Jan 3, 2012, 7:45 PM

Post #28 of 30 (3028 views)

Shortcut

Well, a year and a half later, problem solved. I simply take my Telcel phone on trips and pick it up and dial in case of emergency. I tried this a couple of weeks ago and reached my brother on his Ohio cell when I was sitting in a North Carolina airport. No swapping SIM cards, no turning on roaming or whatever, it simply worked as is. Who knew?

Kate

johanson / Moderator

Jan 3, 2012, 8:11 PM

Post #29 of 30 (3024 views)

Shortcut

Yes, that's what I've been doing for years. Please understand though, that the roaming rates are pretty high, more than $20 pesos per minute, if I remember correctly.

It also gets very expensive if someone from Mexico phones your Mexican cell phone when you're in the states

morgaine7

Jan 3, 2012, 8:34 PM

Post #30 of 30 (3019 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Mexican cell phone in the US?

Thanks for the warning, Pete ... I didn't check my balance until I got back to Mexico, but it didn't go down noticeably from the one brief call. Somehow from what was said originally in this thread, I thought roaming was something we had to have activated and pay for in advance. My friends here all knew I was away, but if they'd phoned, I wouldn't have picked up. I did get text messages from Telcel and Bancomer.

Even 20 pesos a minute is a steal compared to the $66 USD I was charged on a previous trip for two three-minute calls from a pay phone!! So this is the best emergency solution for me.

Kate
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4