Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

mensamia

Jun 7, 2010, 12:04 PM

Post #1 of 24 (18385 views)

Shortcut

Car hijackings and stealing dogs

Can't Post | Private Reply
for those wondering about car hijackings, there are many more posts on the North Pacific forum. For example: American killed in Sonora, Travel Warning / Carjacking in Mazatlan on the Quota and 15 Vehicles stolen on 15D.

The post that really made me rethink Mexico was the Travel Warning/ Carjacking in Mazatlan. The car-jackers not only took all the couple's valuables and their vehicles, they also took the couple's dogs. Not even purebreds, just mutts like mine. My dogs are part of my family, those people must be devastated. I was devastated just reading it.

Peter

Jun 7, 2010, 12:48 PM

Post #2 of 24 (18370 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mensamia] Car hijackings and stealing dogs

I'm not sure why those travel warnings and hijackings on the highways all end up in the regional forum near where they occur when it seems those things should be being discussed in the Travel Mexico section or a new section dedicated to such happenings. Many of us only read those regional forums for history, cultural events, restaurants, hotels, and attractions. It seems those travel warnings deserve wider coverage. Perhaps by now hijackings are regarded as just unscheduled cultural events.

mensamia

Jun 7, 2010, 6:54 PM

Post #3 of 24 (18327 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Car hijackings and stealing dogs

I guess they are posted in the area forums rather than the travelling forums because they are pertinent to the area. Wonder if the travellers also look at the area forums. If not they could be in for some unpleasant surprises.

Great cultural comeback :)

chinagringo

Jun 8, 2010, 8:00 AM

Post #4 of 24 (18279 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Car hijackings and stealing dogs

Peter:

Your suggestion of a special section where "travel warnings", links to informational sites specializing in current events and personal experiences would seem to be a great addition to any forum. Whether people like it or not, this is the reality of traveling in many parts of Mexico these days and for tourists or part year residents aka Snowbirds, gathering info can be a very daunting task.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

lamur

Jun 8, 2010, 8:13 AM

Post #5 of 24 (18275 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Car hijackings and stealing dogs

Do you really think that stealing dogs was a part of the plan? With so many in the shelters I have a feeling the dogs got grabbed because they were in the vehicle that they wanted. I may be wrong here but dognapping doesn't make a lot of sense to me...unles there was an effort to hold them for ransom.

colibri1

Jun 8, 2010, 8:54 AM

Post #6 of 24 (18262 views)

Shortcut

Be aware that the American consulate in Nogales posted a travel warning that was an out and out LIE!!! They have been subsequently busted and lambasted for it, offering only lame excuses for why it happened. That, unfortunately does not do alot to undo the damage it caused us here in Rocky Point especially. I don't have the links at my finger-tips right now, but if anyone wants them, I'll find them.
We travel all over Mexico and there are of course places we don't go, out of concern for safety, as anywhere, but you gotta live your life, not hide under a rock.
That lying report has damaged the credibility of our US consulate, unfortunately.
Cuidado, como siempre, per adelante,
Abrazos,
Colibri 1

mensamia

Jun 8, 2010, 7:59 PM

Post #7 of 24 (18212 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lamur] Car hijackings and stealing dogs

In Reply To
Do you really think that stealing dogs was a part of the plan? With so many in the shelters I have a feeling the dogs got grabbed because they were in the vehicle that they wanted. I may be wrong here but dognapping doesn't make a lot of sense to me...unles there was an effort to hold them for ransom.

esperanza

Jun 9, 2010, 6:54 AM

Post #8 of 24 (18185 views)

Shortcut

Re: [colibri1] Car hijackings and stealing dogs

Please post the links. Without corroboration, your information appears to be just a rumor.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

colibri1

Jun 10, 2010, 6:28 AM

Post #9 of 24 (18097 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Car hijackings and stealing dogs

Hola Esperanza y todos,
I'm not quite sure how to do this, but I'll try a couple of ways. Please be patient, as I'm very busy at work and can only work on this sporadically. I do think this is very important for people to know about, so I really want to get this info. out.
I'll try attaching a pdf of an article that sums up the whole thing.
Gracias,
Marianne

(This post was edited by colibri1 on Jun 10, 2010, 6:31 AM)

colibri1

Jun 10, 2010, 6:35 AM

Post #10 of 24 (18094 views)

Shortcut

Didn't work...Maybe if you go to this web-site, you'll find a different article,but basically the same info. on the top of the home page.

http://www.rockypointnewsonline.com

The headline starts with "U.S. Consulate Warrant Unsubstantiated..."

M
P.S. Could Esperanza get the link to light up?

She could!

(This post was edited by esperanza on Jun 10, 2010, 6:55 AM)

mensamia

Jun 11, 2010, 1:08 PM

Post #11 of 24 (17991 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Car hijackings and stealing dogs

Hi Esperanza,

Here are many links, some eyewitness reports... way too many to be rumors. In fact there may be a link to contact the victims if you think you've found their dogs. Please note all of these links are from March, April and May of this year and all threads are available on Mexconnect.

http://www.mexconnect.com/...;;page=unread#unread

another

and another

norteño

Jun 11, 2010, 2:15 PM

Post #12 of 24 (17975 views)

Shortcut

This is the actual consular advisory that sparked the furor. It states that they had received reports of unauthorized checkpoints on the highway at night by subjects who checked identification before letting motorists proceed. I don't know how these claims were proven false:

http://nogales.usconsulate.gov/...rdenMessageMay19.pdf

(This post was edited by Rolly on Jun 11, 2010, 2:33 PM)

mensamia

Jun 16, 2010, 9:38 AM

Post #13 of 24 (17764 views)

Shortcut

here is a car-jacking where a Canadian lost his life:

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/...c3073989835235841914

colibri1

Jun 18, 2010, 9:23 AM

Post #14 of 24 (17648 views)

Shortcut

Re: [norteño] Car hijackings and stealing dogs

In Reply To
This is the actual consular advisory that sparked the furor. It states that they had received reports of unauthorized checkpoints on the highway at night by subjects who checked identification before letting motorists proceed. I don't know how these claims were proven false:

http://nogales.usconsulate.gov/...rdenMessageMay19.pdf

In Reply To

FOR THE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION, PLEASE READ THE LINK I POSTED PREVIOUSLY. THANKS FOR PUTTING UP THAT CONSULATE LINK, I WAS HAVING A HARD TIME FINDING IT AGAIN. BUT WE ACTUALLY SHOULD BE TALKING ABOUT THIS SUBJECT ON THE NORTHERN MEX. SECTION. SOMEONE MADE REFERENCE TO IT THERE SPECIFICALLY.

MARIANNE

robt65

Jul 21, 2010, 8:41 PM

Post #15 of 24 (16968 views)

Shortcut

A grand idea! You have my vote! Not only people violence events but couple it with highway conditions, for example a new stretch of hwy, after an earthquake, after floods and or Hurricanes. Ah yes and scams or hhievery such as at certain Pemex stations and scams at a cosco etc. All makes sense to me.

robt65

wearechange

Jul 23, 2010, 4:02 PM

Post #16 of 24 (16845 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Car hijackings and stealing dogs

Now we have to deal with the Manzanillo police director being killed in an ambush.

Camille

Jul 25, 2010, 12:15 AM

Post #17 of 24 (16703 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Car hijackings and stealing dogs

I will want to be a member of a caravan sometime in May of 2011 from PV or anywhere along the way heading to Laredo or Colombia crossing with my tiny pug SweetPea,
Obviously I plan menus well in advance. And I drive a Toyota Tundra and will haul stuff to the US.
P[ease noodle on this, I can't do it alone and I can offer some great meals......
Camille

shine2

Jul 27, 2010, 6:58 PM

Post #18 of 24 (16508 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Camille] Car hijackings and stealing dogs

Car stealing is a common problem in chapala. It envolves the cooperation of the police and insurance companies. Incidently. a previous post blamed the widespread larceny at lake side on the brief 1863-1864 French occupation of Mexico- bullshit. The real problem is that Mexico has not produced 1 humane, intelligent statesman. -Maybbe Madera but Huerto killed him after 1 year. Remember the national hero is that scum Pancho villa.
Before cosidering moving here, read the state department warning on Mexico. Also recent news articles in the LA times , the New York Times , and the Washington Post.
Incidently, all drugs both illicit and legal are available like candy at Lakeside. If you want to live in an old age home run by crooks and nitwits consider ajijic and lago chpala.
tysun2

tonyburton

Jul 27, 2010, 7:14 PM

Post #19 of 24 (16493 views)

Shortcut

Re: [shine2] Car hijackings and stealing dogs

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you appear to be unaware of statesmen such as Alfonso García Robles, winner of the Nobel Prize in Peace 1982.

Rolly

Jul 27, 2010, 7:20 PM

Post #20 of 24 (16483 views)

Shortcut

This bullshitter just joined this board tonight on to make this worthless post.

Rolly Pirate

shine2

Jul 27, 2010, 7:24 PM

Post #21 of 24 (16479 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Car hijackings and stealing dogs

please read the wikipedia description of his career a decent man but notin mexico. No mexican politician has done anything for his country other than make himself and his family rich,
tysun2

lamur

Jul 28, 2010, 9:03 AM

Post #22 of 24 (16424 views)

Shortcut

This bullshitter just joined this board tonight on to make this worthless post.

Rolly Pirate

And already has 21 posts? Busy boy.
L

chinagringo

Jul 28, 2010, 9:25 AM

Post #23 of 24 (16410 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lamur] Car hijackings and stealing dogs

Actually, there must be something wrong with the post counter since if you go to his/her profile, only two posts show up. It may be that this poster has a number of handles.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

tonyburton

Jul 28, 2010, 9:45 AM

Post #24 of 24 (16404 views)

Shortcut

I believe you are misreading the post counter.
The numbers to the left of each post only apply to that particular thread, not to the user's posts. The only way to find out how many posts a poster has made is via the poster's profile.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4