Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Zorba

Jun 3, 2010, 11:34 AM

Post #1 of 14 (10432 views)

Shortcut

Leaving Mexico for good

Can't Post | Private Reply
Due to familial responsibilities I must leave Mexico. I probably wont be able to return. There is a lot of info on coming to Mexico but is there anybody who has gone through the process of leaving and what/if any advice might you have for the process? Im just wondering about how you moved all your stuff back, any bureaucratic problems you might have encountered in terms of selling your property, turning in your immigration documents, closing bank accounts etc. etc.

richmx2

Jun 3, 2010, 12:50 PM

Post #2 of 14 (10401 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Zorba] Leaving Mexico for good

the process of leaving?

1. Sell, give away or abandon your stuff.

2. Say good-bye.

3. Go.

Several million Mexicans do this every year. Some with visas.

http://mexfiles.net
http://mexicobookpublishers.com

Rolly

Jun 3, 2010, 1:12 PM

Post #3 of 14 (10387 views)

Shortcut

Turn in your car permit and your FM3 at the border. It is important to do these things just in case your situation changes someday, and you want to come back -- no burnt bridges, etc.

Sorry to see you. Stay in touch

Rolly Pirate

jlopez

Jun 3, 2010, 6:24 PM

Post #4 of 14 (10306 views)

Shortcut

Where are you located I am looking for to furnish a house

SecretAgent69

Jun 3, 2010, 11:18 PM

Post #5 of 14 (10236 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jlopez] Leaving Mexico for good

Good advice there from Rolly. I recently moved back to my home country and almost forgot about the car permit/fm3 cancellation. The rest of your problems will probably be more about the bureacracy of your home country. When I left Mexico and moved back home it was a pain to get certain social services, tax forms, etc sorted out. Good luck.

Gringal

Jun 4, 2010, 7:18 AM

Post #6 of 14 (10172 views)

Shortcut

You will be missed, Zorba. Best of luck.

Will you be needing a Passport?

Peter

Jun 4, 2010, 9:26 AM

Post #7 of 14 (10129 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Leaving Mexico for good

In Reply To
You will be missed, Zorba. Best of luck.

Will you be needing a Passport?

Yes, it's too bad you have to leave Mexico, especially if you don't want to do so. I've enjoyed reading your posts and getting your point of view.

Not so much an attempt to hijack the thread as the answers may be useful, Gringal brings up a question I will need to have answered in a few years. How and where does one get or renew their US passport here? I am not aware of any US consulate office in Morelia, where will I need to go for my passport when that time comes?

Rolly

Jun 4, 2010, 9:42 AM

Post #8 of 14 (10119 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Leaving Mexico for good

Look here for a list of US Consulates in México. Go to the one nearest your home.

Rolly Pirate

bournemouth

Jun 4, 2010, 9:44 AM

Post #9 of 14 (10117 views)

Shortcut

I think your nearest Consulate is Guadalajara (or maybe D.F.) - you download the necessary forms from the website and set up an appointment to go in. I think they will courier your passport back to you (for a fee):

http://guadalajara.usconsulate.gov/

MazDee

Jun 5, 2010, 11:17 AM

Post #10 of 14 (9940 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Leaving Mexico for good

Peter, Mazatlán has no consulate, but there is a consular office here, connected to the consulate in Hermosillo, where passports are renewed (actually, they are sent somewhere to be renewed.) I understand it is simple and quicker than renewing in the US. Perhaps there is a consular office in Morelia?

Zorba, Sorry to learn that you have to leave.

(This post was edited by MazDee on Jun 5, 2010, 11:19 AM)

esperanza

Jun 5, 2010, 12:10 PM

Post #11 of 14 (9919 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MazDee] Leaving Mexico for good

The closest consulate to Morelia is in Guadalajara. The embassy is in Mexico City.

The closest consular office is in San Miguel de Allende. Here's the info: http://elbajio.usvpp.gov/...ysanmigueldeallende/

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Peter

Jun 5, 2010, 4:57 PM

Post #12 of 14 (9854 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Leaving Mexico for good

I had my hopes up for a minute when I followed Rolly's link to El Bajio VPP Consular Office and saw photos of Morelia heading the opening page, but it seems SMA is the only place with a presence. It discusses SMA for first-time passports for people born in the US, so I would guess one could renew a passport as well. If I were in the US or Canada I could renew by mail but not so in Mexico. SMA is about a two-hour drive and Guadalajara takes about three. Fortunately I don't need to renew for quite a while yet.

morgaine7

Jun 5, 2010, 6:29 PM

Post #13 of 14 (9832 views)

Shortcut

Don't feel bad. US citizens in La Paz, BCS, the state capital, renew our passports in Cabo San Lucas, which is about the same distance. We have to go personally to submit our applications, and again to receive the passport. Could be worse. The consulate for our region is in Tijuana, which is more than 700 miles away!

Kate

esperanza

Jun 5, 2010, 6:50 PM

Post #14 of 14 (9824 views)

Shortcut

I talked to the folks at the SMA consular office just yesterday (June 4, 2010) about renewing a friend's passport. Yes, they do that. They will take all the forms you have printed from the internet and get them to the Embassy for you, then get your new passport back to the consular office, where you can pick it up.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4