Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Manuel Dexterity

Jun 6, 2010, 9:26 AM

Post #51 of 60 (7937 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] BEST PIZZA LAKESIDE

| Private Reply
As usual the mutt flails away with a 4lb sledge while gringal hits the nail on the head with the first blow.

We have been spending time recently at the beach. We came across a small pizzería on a side street and decided to give it a try. It is run by 2 young Italians. The crust was of the medium thickness that I personally prefer. It was baked in a conventional oven and was the best part of the pizza. The pizza was actually quite good except for one essential ingredient, the cheese. Maybe they use the best quality available or maybe they try to hold down costs with a cheaper product. But if they used a better cheese they would have us as regular customers when we're at the beach.

356S90

Jun 6, 2010, 9:46 AM

Post #52 of 60 (7935 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Well, Gringal, I realize that all things are relative, but if your definition of "best" is "least execrable" then perhaps you should consider a review of your standards.

Be that as it may, your point seems to be that the latter is the most apt description of the "best" pizza Lakeside. If so, I agree.

GA

Gringal

Jun 6, 2010, 10:04 AM

Post #53 of 60 (7920 views)

Shortcut

Re: [356S90] BEST PIZZA LAKESIDE

| Private Reply
Apparently your own standards are far loftier. Most of this discussion among us was somewhat tongue in cheek, since we are talking about peasant food such as pizza and hamburgers.

There is no haute cuisine here to discuss.........so what's with the nitpicking of definitions?

(This post was edited by Gringal on Jun 6, 2010, 10:16 AM)

Hound Dog

Jun 6, 2010, 3:33 PM

Post #54 of 60 (7875 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Re: [Hound Dog] BEST PIZZA LAKESIDE by Gringal Post:
Dawg:" I think it is because, at Lakeside, even a pizza prepared in a thin-crust European style, has been purposely toned down in flavor to please the predominant Midwestern American and Canadian palate chefs find around here."

How the heck can you figger where people are from when most of the license plates read "South Dakota"?

Now, when you say it's been "toned down"........let's get to the nitty gritty of the matter. What's been "toned down?" The hot flavors? The garlic? What? As far as I'm concerned, fire breathing ingredients are not the secret to memorable flavor. Unless heartburn is a turn-on for ya.

The best pizza I've had at Lakeside was from the little crepe place that closed last year. I think the chef was from your second neck of the woods in San Cris. Now, the question is this: What made his pizzas so good? And is this the real problem with most restaurant pizzas around here?

At the risk of hearing all sorts of irrelevant patter about Canadians and South Dakotans, I suggest the following:
That pizza was made with such fresh ingredients that the garlic was singing Rossini. The marinara sauce didn't emerge from a can or bottle. The cheese was the real deal. The olive oil wasn't doubling as engine lubricant. And so on.
Therein, IMO, lies the problem with local food. Ingredients. Some joint serves up a giant greaseburger slathered with second-rate goo and served up with fries in grandfather's original cooking oil for around 50 pesos and the locals think they're getting something special. This stuff isn't "toned down" for local taste. It wasn't made with good stuff to begin with.

Well said Gringal.

While Dawg dislikes people in general you have earned a star in the Dawg Universe of highly limited inductees due to your praiseworthy prose. A B+ at least.

Bruno´s crepe place was a treasure for his crepes and fabulous little pizzas and his fine personality and he was fabulously successful in San Cristóbal but his wife was a homesick Tapatia who convinced him to move back to Jalisco where he lost his footing for he was way too much for this town of Kentucky Fied Chicken and tasteless potato suckers and, consequently, self-destructed. A damn shame.

Maybe Peoria-Upon-Sump is not where you should have sought succor during those last years of contemplation.

Search this forum this category all forums for All words Any words Whole Phrase (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4
Copyright İ1996-2010 MexConnect & respective authors | ISSN #1028-9089 | About | Feeds | News | Adver

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Jun 6, 2010, 3:33 PM)

don pedro

Jun 6, 2010, 3:43 PM

Post #55 of 60 (7870 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] BEST PIZZA LAKESIDE

| Private Reply
who cares what mighta been,what was,what ain't,what never will be. DOMINOS is what is.
http://chapalamexicoinfo.createforumhosting.com
naivete is a chronIc disease and by its very nature;the afflicted never know they have it.-SNORK!

Gringal

Jun 6, 2010, 3:53 PM

Post #56 of 60 (7869 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Dawg: "Maybe Peoria-Upon-Sump is not where you should have sought succor during those last years of contemplation."

Nor you, amigo, I'd guess. However, You do what you can with what you have to work with....and a Villa on Lake Como or a classy apartment in Paris with all the trimmings was not in my Book of Choices. This place works. I have to admit it's shorter on succor than suckers.

Whaddya mean, B+? Humph.

To wax serious for a moment: Today's news includes some appalling stories of how food inflation has reduced many people across the globe to giving up adequate meals. People who didn't have a problem a few short years ago. Sometimes, no meat or fruit in the diet. Meanwhile, we are all eating. I am glad to have the life I'm living.

Peter

Jun 6, 2010, 5:25 PM

Post #57 of 60 (7856 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
...he was way too much for this town of Kentucky Fied Chicken and tasteless potato...

That is worth at least half a star for "Kentuky-Fied Chicken"

Anonimo

Jun 7, 2010, 12:45 AM

Post #58 of 60 (7824 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] BEST PIZZA LAKESIDE

| Private Reply
I now consciously veer off topic, to ask Peter or other Morelianos adoptados if they have sampled the Broasted Chicken at the store we've seen many times just beyond the retorno a Pátzcuaro on the Periférico Poniente, close to the Farmacia Guadalajara?

I'd check it out myself, but I'm afried I'm chicken.

Buen provecho,
Anonimo

Peter

Jun 7, 2010, 6:31 AM

Post #59 of 60 (7808 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] BEST PIZZA LAKESIDE

| Private Reply
The simple answer is "no", I haven't seen that one.

Chicken stands are ubiquituous here, mostly rotisserie style or otherwise roasted chicken. A few do a volume business selling "carnitas-style" deep-fried chicken, and adobo chicken is plentiful. Pátzcuaro-style has carved out a name for itself for roasted chicken with orange juice squeezed over them during the roasting - actually, one of the most popular in Pátzcuaro with that preparation started out in Morelia near the Monarca's stadium on a street corner but moved to a larger restaurant site in Pátzcuaro some five years ago and is doing a bang-up job attracting many customers.

Yours would be the first here I've heard referred to as "broasted" but that is basically the same process for Kentucky-fied chicken KFC uses pressure-cooking in oil. I guess "broasting" has become the standard name for this process by now but used to only refer to those places that used Phelan's broasters under license for that name. Though the cooking process is the same as KFC, broasted chicken I have eaten elsewhere was really done with a quite different recipe and was not at all what you found at the Colonel's place.

I've done some of my own experimenting with KFC-style recipes and my home pressure-cooker but there is a warning to not use oil in these cookers as they are not built quite as sturdy as those in the Colonel's days. I could run with this ball a bit but it really has nothing to do with pizza at Lakeside so I will drop it for now.

esperanza

Jun 7, 2010, 8:39 AM

Post #60 of 60 (7787 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] BEST PIZZA LAKESIDE

| Private Reply
Peter and Anónimo, there is a "broasted" chicken joint in Morelia on the west side of Av. Ventura Puente just a few steps north of Av. Solidaridad. I drove by it just this morning.

With that, I am going to lock this thread. We have wandered from pillar to post, far from Lake Chapala, and y'all can start a new pizza thread any old time.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4