Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Peter

Jun 4, 2010, 2:25 PM

Post #26 of 46 (6383 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Mexican Food In Berlin

| Private Reply
I generally embrace the absurb, but that's just ridiculous.

Ya, mitt der prices ov masa in Berlinen it das seem absurd. But it is true about the cultural influence of German immigrants in Mexico. Look at the cultural influence Tijuana has had on life in California, from the caesar salad to tuck-and-roll naugahyde auto and barroom upholstery and velvet painting art, and not to forget huarrache sandals.

By the time you do stop there you may kick yourself for not having done so earlier. Of course you recommended Fonda Marceva to me, which was excellent. I really hadn't expected to find good Mexican food in Mexico, I thought I left that behind in California.

(This post was edited by Peter on Jun 4, 2010, 2:29 PM)

esperanza

Jun 4, 2010, 2:38 PM

Post #27 of 46 (6375 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Mexican Food In Berlin

| Private Reply

In Reply To
The German immigrants in Mexico have contributed greatly to the Mexican culture from their beer-making to the oom-pah polka beat music with tuba and brass band now so very common in Mexico.

The oom-pah polka beat "now so very common in Mexico" has been enormously popular here since the 1830s. Brought to Mexico by the Germans who settled what is now south Texas, the accordion-driven polka beat is the format for the fabulous folk dances called estampas norteñas from Chihuahua and other parts of Mexico's far north. Last weekend in Morelia, hundreds of people enjoyed three evenings of ballet folklórico at Morelia's Casa de Cultura, including many estampas norteñas complete with glorious costumes in styles of the mid-19th century. Take a look at this YouTube video--this dancing from the state of Chihuahua is totally German and totally Mexican:
http://www.youtube.com/...&feature=related

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Rolly

Jun 4, 2010, 2:47 PM

Post #28 of 46 (6371 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Mexican Food In Berlin

| Private Reply
My first college roommate (U of Texas 1948) was Guillermo Freitag from a Mexica-German family. Very nice guy and damn smart.

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Jun 4, 2010, 2:53 PM)

Peter

Jun 4, 2010, 3:32 PM

Post #29 of 46 (6354 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I see I had an extraneous "now" in my post. I wasn't trying to suggest it is the latest craze. You help make my point for me, the German influence has been around for quite a while.

Peter

Jun 4, 2010, 3:36 PM

Post #30 of 46 (6350 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I often make cornbread here in Morelia. Why not? Cornmeal is easy to find, none of the other ingredients are out of the ordinary.

As you had advised me some time ago Tere picked up some cornmeal for me at Mercado San Juan, from the bins intended as livestock feed. Some had cautioned me about finding critters in the cornmeal they had bought by the same recommendation. Mine didn't have that problem though, and the glass jar I keep it in still reveals no breeding ground for unwanted dinner guests.

Just going on what I mentioned one day Tere did not know how much I would need and bought very little, not enough to make cornbread. I have been using it mostly to throw down under the dough for my pizzas and find it a good bit harder than the cornmeal I was accustomed to buying up north. I imagine if I soak it for a time first it would be good to use for cornbread, but failing to do so would probably yield a hard and gritty product.

Have you found any of that to be so and have taken any steps to make it more usable? Or have you found any being sold in supermarkets anywhere?

ken_in_dfw

Jun 4, 2010, 3:37 PM

Post #31 of 46 (6349 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Mexican Food In Berlin

|

In Reply To
So, a "peench" is a Southern U.S. measuring term. Tell me; would that be sufficient to season a "mess" of collards down south (oops!, that would be up south from Chiapas)?

As a Southern (U.S.) boy yourself, you know very well that the answer to your question depends entirely on how big your mess is. My arms can carry in quite a lot more greens from the garden than could my Grandma. Her mess was less. And a peench of salt was just about right. My mess would take two peenches. And a diced jalapeño.

But danggit Dawg, your description of collard, turnip and beet greens in the Chiapas markets has me all fired up for greens. And greens in Texas in June are hard to come by and not worth the bother if you did come by them.

I have to say that I was surprised to read about the selection of greens in Chiapas. Most of the markets and abastos I've perused in central México were a bit lean on greens - mostly cabbage and lettuce, not much else. So maybe the proliferation of greens in the South (of México) are due to the Mayan influence?

Anyway, my apologies to all for taunting you with my culinary descriptions. I'm up to my eyeballs in 'maters at the moment. If I could, I'd send one to each of you. Instead, I'll have to send you a virtual version of my Cherokee Purples and a Lemon Boy, along with a few essential seasonings.

Gotta run - it's nearly dinnertime. Gotta make some BLT sam'iches. ¡Provecho, y’all!

esperanza

Jun 4, 2010, 4:01 PM

Post #32 of 46 (6342 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ken_in_dfw] Mexican Food In Berlin

| Private Reply

Most of the markets and abastos I've perused in central México were a bit lean on greens - mostly cabbage and lettuce, not much else.

Hmmm. You'll want to take a look at this: http://mexicocooks.typepad.com/...ens-at-the-unam.html. The article is about a marvelous symposium on wild and cultivated greens that I attended just about a year ago at the UNAM in Mexico City. At the present time, there are more than 500 wild greens harvested and eaten in Mexico.

And then there's the Wednesday tianguis where I shop in Morelia. The standard greens sold there are:
--espinacas (spinach)
--acelgas (swiss chard)
-- verdolagas (purslane)
--col (cabbage)
--col morado (red cabbage, not green but still...)
--hoja de betabél (beet greens)
--berros (watercress)
--quelite de ceniza ('ash' greens)

If I think of more (and there are more), I'll post more.

ken_in_dfw

Jun 4, 2010, 6:21 PM

Post #33 of 46 (6328 views)

Shortcut

|
Yes, I know, Esperanza. The Hispanic grocers here in Dallas-Ft. Worth are awash in a wild variety of greens. That's why I had a hard time reconciling what I found in México with what I'd seen NOB. Clearly, I just haven't been to the right mercados when in México. ;-)

Camille

Jun 4, 2010, 9:15 PM

Post #34 of 46 (6314 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
You must go, Travis! I had an incredible pistachio soup.......and it's just so kitsch.....

Anonimo

Jun 5, 2010, 2:50 AM

Post #35 of 46 (6302 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

I've driven past it at least a handful of times. I've never been able to convince myself to go in though.

Ni yo tampoco.

By the way, in Eronga, there's a Swiss baker named Ivo, who makes pretty good rye bread and other European grain breads, although most are in loaf form.
His baguettes look better than average, although I never can sem to get one before they run out.

He also sells at the Friday Buen Provecho Mercado in Pátzcuaro.
I don't know his hours or shop (if any) in Eronga. I do know he makes pizza on the weekends.

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

Hound Dog

Jun 5, 2010, 7:19 AM

Post #36 of 46 (6289 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ken_in_dfw] Mexican Food In Berlin

| Private Reply
Anyway, my apologies to all for taunting you with my culinary descriptions. I'm up to my eyeballs in 'maters at the moment. If I could, I'd send one to each of you. Instead, I'll have to send you a virtual version of my Cherokee Purples and a Lemon Boy, along with a few essential seasonings.

Gotta run - it's nearly dinnertime. Gotta make some BLT sam'iches. ¡Provecho, y’all!

That was exceptionally cruel, Ken.

On the subject of greens, Esperanza´s post was interesting. We really only seriously shop at tianguis at Lake Chapala between Chapala and Jocotepec and in the huge indigenous market in San Cristóbal de Las Casas since those are the places we have kitchens but, with that limited experience, we find the indigenous market in Chiapas to have exceptional selections of all sorts of greens for cooking and the selection at Lake Chapala to be very limited, at least in that area settled by so many foreigners. We know from experience that, generally speaking, the indigenous of Highland Chiapas are big consumers of all sorts of greens among other vegetables and are not big meat eaters on a day-to-day basis.

I really enjoyed that discussion of the German restaurant on Lake Pátzcuaro. That´s a fun place and the trout could not be fresher. Any of you visiting Pátzcuaro will find a visit there worthwhile.

Hound Dog

Jun 5, 2010, 7:35 AM

Post #37 of 46 (6280 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
How does a southerner deal with eating greens without cornbread?

This is not an issue at Lake Chapala, Peter. Cornmeal for preparing cornbread can always be found at fabulous Super Lake and usually either white or yellow instant cornbread mix for "fallen" southerners. Super Lake is a local treasure on Lake Chapala and these days is "way mo bettah" than it was when we arrived here in 2001.

One cannot only find the essential ingredients for making cornbread in one´s preferred style at Super Lake but also hot pepper vinegar which is a popular and necessary table condiment in the deep south of the U.S. to accompany turnip greens. Dawg has not found the important ingredient for cooking greens known as "fatback", however but there are acceptable substitutes down in Chiapas. When Dawg´s supply wagon leaves the lake for Chiapas, it contains the above ingredients for properly preparing turnip greens in traditional style just in case I find them at the market down there.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Jun 5, 2010, 7:38 AM)

Peter

Jun 5, 2010, 8:10 AM

Post #38 of 46 (6274 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Cornmeal for preparing cornbread can always be found at fabulous Super Lake and usually either white or yellow instant cornbread mix for "fallen" southerners. Super Lake is a local treasure on Lake Chapala and these days is "way mo bettah" than it was when we arrived here in 2001.

That settles it then. I have been promising Tere a vacation soon, so it appears we are going to make a trip to Chapala for a couple days of sightseeing and shopping at Super Lake.

esperanza

Jun 5, 2010, 11:12 AM

Post #39 of 46 (6253 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

...shopping at Super Lake...

Bring a bushel basket full of money.

Manuel Dexterity

Jun 5, 2010, 11:25 AM

Post #40 of 46 (6249 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To

It takes a bushel to buy a mess?

tashby

Jun 5, 2010, 12:52 PM

Post #41 of 46 (6239 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Speaking of messes, I made a perfect mess of French Fried potatoes yesterday and I thought of Peter, who's working on the process.

(Don't ever accuse me of taking a thread off topic....)

I cut the potatoes into shape
Soaked them in icy cold water for about 40 minutes
Drained and patted them dry thoroughly
Plopped them into pre-heated oil.....cooked about 4 minutes
Took them out with slatted spoon and drained excess grease on paper towels
Let them cool off for about ten minutes
Then back into the hot oil til golden brown.

They were perfect. Pefect! So I placed them in the #@!!#!?!!NG oven in our rental, oven on low....just long enough to slap a couple steaks on the pre-heated BBQ. Six minutes later the steaks were done and the #@!!#?!!NG French Fries were burned to hell thanks to our internal-thermostat-free oven.

Today I bought an electric toaster oven.

What does this have to do with Mexican Food in Berlin?

Yesterday's "Steak Frites a la Walmart" was served in Mexico, therefore it is by definition Mexican Food......and you can call me Rolf.

(This post was edited by tashby on Jun 5, 2010, 1:01 PM)

Hound Dog

Jun 5, 2010, 1:57 PM

Post #42 of 46 (6230 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In defense of Pancho (the owner of Super Lake), his prices are an incredible bargain for what he provides his clients at Lakeside. A splendid inventory of both domestic Mexican and foreign food products; an extraordinary variety of splendid vegetables and various cooking ingedients and condiments virtually unavailable in most of the rest of Mexico and in much of the rest of North America. A great achievement by Pancho who, I believe, did it on his own and one simply not understood by those who live alternatively in other parts of Mexico whether urban or rural.

Try shopping in any ordinary market in France to understand what bargains Pauncho brings us under the circumstances.

Just go spend some time in regional capitals such as Morelia, Tuxtla Gutierrez, Mérida or Oaxaca, to name only a few places, with their markets almost solely devoted to regional specialties with no extensive inventory of international foods and you will see that Super Lake is an extraordinary accomplishment by Pancho, a country boy who saw an opportunity many years ago and seized upon it. A great success story.

Go spend six months a year in Chiapas or Michoacan or Guerrero or Yucatan and when you come back to Lakeside you´ll be like a kid in a candy store.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Jun 5, 2010, 2:00 PM)

tashby

Jun 5, 2010, 4:10 PM

Post #43 of 46 (6211 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment of Super Lake. Even though it's a full grocery store, I think of it more as a specialty store for cooks. He manages to stock an array of products that are either almost impossible to find anywhere else, or just plain don't exist anywhere else, at least not locally and certainly not all in one place.

He can charge whatever he likes for products that he, and only he, makes available.

The area where his pricing appears predatory is on some non-specialty items, particularly I think, those imported from the U.S. So what to that, too, I say. If you don't like the price don't buy it. And if someone chooses to purchase a box of General Mills Cheerios breakfast cereal for $95 MXP - imported from the U.S. with English language packing - versus picking up the exact same box of Nestle Cheerios produced in Mexico with Spanish labeling for $42 MXP.....well, a fool and his money and all that.

I almost never shop at Super Lake because I don't really know how to cook and almost never have a need for a specialty item. When I do though, that's where I go.

My only complaint with Super Lake is the music they play inside the store. Good Gawd. Imagine Lawrence Welk on a Vicodin bender.

(This post was edited by tashby on Jun 5, 2010, 4:20 PM)

tashby

Jun 5, 2010, 4:23 PM

Post #44 of 46 (6208 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
^^ In other words.....Pancho's Super Lake is like those heretofor unavailable Mexican Restaurants in Berlin! Whatever the market will bare!

And for my next trick....

Peter

Jun 5, 2010, 5:11 PM

Post #45 of 46 (6200 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
(Don't ever accuse me of taking a thread off topic....)

I will admit to having done that, once or twice.

Glad to hear your fries turned out so good. It's too bad your oven had to eat them.

esperanza

Jun 5, 2010, 6:44 PM

Post #46 of 46 (6189 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I'm going to lock this thread up...it has wandered far and wide, o'er hill and dale.

Start another topic, y'all, this one has been really interesting.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4