May 22, 2010, 5:17 PM
Post #1 of 12
(Note: You could just begin at bullet #7 (click on the included link), but it's best to follow this step by step because it explains things as I think INM intended them and gave me (and hopefully you) confidence that we're interpreting things on this convoluted site correctly. Feel free to PM me with concerns or question. Buena suerte (Good Luck) -- G
A step by step guide to a new (Rentista) FM3 while in MX on an FMM
Can't Post | Private Reply
- Begin at Trámites migratorios (Migration procedures) and select Estados Unidos de America (USA) or Canada from the Pais (nacionalidad): (Country - Nationality) pull down menu. From Selecciona el motivo de tu consulta (Select the purpose of your consultation) click on number 2. Vivir en México (Live in Mexico) which takes you to the next page.
- On the Vivir en México (Live in Mexico) page, click on number 1. De manera temporal (On a temporary basis) which takes you to the next page. (note: For an FM2 you would select number 2. De manera permanente (On a permanent basis).
- On the Vivir en México de manera temporal (Live in Mexico on a temporary basis) page, select number 7. Rentista (Renter - unless you seek a different classification) which takes you to the next page.
- On the Rentista temporal (Temporary renter) page under ¿En que supuesto te encuentas? (What is your situation?) if you are in Mexico on a 180 day FMM, select number 3. Cuentas con forma migratoria vigente y deseas realizar una nueva actividad (I have a valid migration form and seek a new activity) which takes you the next page.
- This page states the following:
Toda vez que cuentas con una legal estancia en el país acreditado mediante una forma migratoria la cual se encuentra vigente el trámite correspondiente es el cambio de tu característica migratoria.
Este trámite lo podrás realizar en la oficina del INM cercana a tu lugar de residencia.
(Whenever you are legally in the country (MX) accredited by a valid migration form (like a tourist FMM), the appropriate action is to change your migration status.
This action can be accomplished at the INM office closest to your residence.)
On this page click on number 1. Requisitos (Requirements) which takes you to the following page.
- This page states the following:
Cédula de consulta (Type of consultation)
Tramite consultado: Cambio de caracteristica (Procedure: Change of status)
Actividad solicitada: No inmigrante visitante rentista (Activity sought: Non-immigrant visiting renter)
This page also displays the Requisitos (Requirements) which lists all the documents needed to qualify for an FM3. The first requirement listed is Solicitud de trámite (Completed application). Click on (Formato de estancia) which takes you to the next page.
- On the Formato migratorio para trámites de estancia (Migratory format) page you will complete the online application that you must print out and take to INM together with the other required documents. Remember to write down the número de pieza (application number) which will be generated when you complete the application because INM will need that too. Also, ensure pop-up blocker is disabled on your web browser because a pop-up page of the completed application that you’ll need to print will appear when you finish entering your information and click on Guardar (Save).
From the ¿Qué desea hacer? (What do you want to do?) pull down menu, select Realizar actividades diferentes a las autorizadas (Perform different activities than those currently authorized)
From the Especifique (Specify) pull down menu, select Cambio de caracteristica migratoria (Change in migration status)
The rest is filling in your personal information. It is very important the information is entered EXACTLY as it appears in your passport. Double and triple check ALL your entries because if even one error is detected by INM, your application will be rejected and you'll need to complete a new application. No changes can be made on the application once it's printed out. (note: You have 90 days from the time you completed your online application to when you submit it in person to INM. If you exceed this time limit, your application will be purged from the system and you must begin anew from scratch.)
Buena suerte (Good luck) -- G
"What we've got here is a failure to communicate."
(This post was edited by Demonio on May 22, 2010, 6:40 PM)